Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

that preview didnt really have any new info in it, yet it got me re-hyped anyway.

I want to see some gameplay vids!

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Well, the game has potential. The first person sandbox approach has adapted much better to advances in graphics than Bioware's and Obsidian's pre-loaded areas.

Obviously its the story and the feel of the world that's going to make or break TES5 for me. Oblivion was too simplistic and generic, barring a few good quests, like entering a painting or the door to another universe thing.

Damn shame too, I remember going into a goblin infested dungeon with a torch in hand and saying: damn this is it, the real D&D feel of tense exploration. This lasted until the 5th such dungeon and the constant respawning of higher level mobs in dungeons I already cleaned out. Plus, there was no background flavor to it all, just random mobs in generic dungeons.

Apparently XBOX360 is getting a version. Can't see it looking much better than Oblivion then, on such limited hardware.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Apparently XBOX360 is getting a version. Can't see it looking much better than Oblivion then, on such limited hardware.

Apparently Crysis2 is looking swell on the 360. As usual, it's much more about software and how much work you put into it than the hardware.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Apparently Crysis2 is looking swell on the 360. As usual, it's much more about software and how much work you put into it than the hardware.

Interesting. I'm not doubting you, but do you have any linkable pieces discussing this point?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Interesting. I'm not doubting you, but do you have any linkable pieces discussing this point?

There has been recent discussion on it.

In essence they argue that all the extra layers of API/driver/OS bottleneck a lot of PCs graphic power and I imagine you need to use various tricks on the software side to somehow get around it.

The end result is that PC games don't look much better than console games despite large differences in theoretical graphic power.

I always thought that has more to do with game assets being made with consoles in mind but I'm sure they also have a point.

I've noticed odd diferences between PC & 360 performance. I picked up Quake 4 on both the PC and 360. I can run it flawlessly on PC, but it runs horrible on 360. I also picked up GTA IV on PC & 360. It looks and runs great on 360, but runs unplayably bad on my PC.

I think pnp is right.

Abandoning Direct X is a ridiculous idea and DirectX is definitely not why games don't look better than on consoles.. do they anyway? Even the crappiest port usually has much better IQ than the console game, though you usually notice the crappy IQ in the console game less because you're so distant from the screen.

This isn't so much about IQ as basic performance.

I may have a PC with processing power roughly equal to a xbox360 but can't get games like Gta4 and New Vegas running smoothly even on the absolutely minimal graphic settings.

There is definitely some kind of problem with the way PC versions of many games work.

Dropping the DirectX standard may well just result in a de-facto adoption of an even more proprietary standard. See Sound Blaster compatibility back in the DOS days. The Sound Blaster itself was compatible with AdLib. If you had a Gravis Ultrasound on the other hand....

In the current competitive environment it'd probably mean you need, at the very least, two video cards on hand permanently to make sure you can run any given game. If Intel comes back in, probably three. If you have a Matrox, well forget it. Back in the early 3D Decelerator days, you'd come across games that were pretty much Glide vs software renderer. Glide was awesome relative to the hardware capability of the Voodoo chip, but it was hell for the other vendors who tried to push their own APIs - PowerVR, Rendition, S3, etc.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

That's something I think we addressed well in Fallout 3

Supermutant Overlords, those hillbilly guys. Albino Radscorpions. Too common Deathclaws.

No, it wasn't addressed well. :verymad:

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I miss the days when games told you stuff, a little pop up could appear saying "you sense you are entering an area of great danger, perhaps it would be safer to return when you are more powerful..."

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Maybe when you get chunked in one hit that's enough to tell you to COME BACK LATER.

Either gamers are really stupid or developers think gamers are really stupid. I haven't figure out which.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Maybe when you get chunked in one hit that's enough to tell you to COME BACK LATER.

Either gamers are really stupid or developers think gamers are really stupid. I haven't figure out which.

i kinda think its both

Having to reload is not a good way to accomplish that.

Sorry, missed your post earlier, but here you go: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalf...rysis2-face-off

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

You can put signs, like in Fallout: New Vegas for example. Design the environment in a way that you can get cues on what type of enemies you will meet and that you won't immediately meet the strongest type that can kill you. Place natural barrier so that the very hard areas are places you have to search for purposefully. Really, there's a lot and a lot of stuff you can do to avoid using level scaling. Fallout 3 was better than Oblivion, sure, but it still replaced Molerats and Bloatflies with Deatchlaws and Enclave members the furthers you went in the game.

There's nothing wrong with reloading. Dying is an integral part of the way you play video games. :verymad:

Dying because you screwed up, not because you did something perfectly reasonable. That's frustrating as hell and takes you out of the moment.

Fallout 3 was better than Oblivion, sure, but it still replaced Molerats and Bloatflies with Deatchlaws and Enclave members the furthers you went in the game.

Enclave appeared because of plot, not level. You could technically meet them at level 1 and get one-shotted by their plasma guns.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

i kinda think its both

lol. Probably.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

SUre. Its great when developers can leave inidicators and warnings to players using the actual game world mechanics that places may be very dangerous, but in the end players are always going to try, at some point you have to try. Other than locking the area out until X level or putting in the most god-awful game mechanic possible (level scaling), you jyst got to let a player get chunked if they're too weak. As logn as there is no penalty for reloading, it's fine.