Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

"With Oblivion, we're dealing with the capital province, and we wanted to get back to the more classic Arena and Daggerfall feel of a fantasy world that felt more refined and welcoming," Howard reflects. "A place that you instantly understood.

"But in that, we sacrificed some of what made Morrowind special; the wonder of discovery. With Skyrim, we're trying to bring some of that back and walk the line between Morrowind and Oblivion. Where it's at first familiar looking, but has its own unique culture and spin on it.

The Bethesda veteran summarises Skyrim's aesthetic as "epic reality", mystical yet "grounded". The wintry province is among the more venerable of Tamriel's human civilizations, and Bethesda wants to convey the impression "that this province is the original home of men, that they built things long ago that seem fantastical, but are very real, and could be built here on earth given enough time.

"We stay away from high fantasy elements in the art itself, and keep it grounded in whatever the reality of the world is."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/26155/bethesdas-todd-...rolls-5-skyrim/

Also: <snip>

http://imperial-library.info/content/elder-scrolls-v?page=8

Edited by Gorth
Language

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

That sounds strangely good. Oh well, there's always the infamous e3 2005 demo.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I have a hard time accepting "best of Oblivion." I think some of what they're doing with Skyrim is wonderful, but what exactly is it they are trying to bring from Oblivion? I don't recall anything I fancied about it. Perhaps the more storied and interesting major group quests?

I'm hopeful for their new magic system.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I have a hard time accepting "best of Oblivion." I think some of what they're doing with Skyrim is wonderful, but what exactly is it they are trying to bring from Oblivion? I don't recall anything I fancied about it. Perhaps the more storied and interesting major group quests?

I'm hopeful for their new magic system.

The Adoring Fan.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I remember Kirkbride making a few vaguely snarky comments on the forums after Oblivion came out, considering he rarely talks in anything but riddles I'll take this as good news.

Perhaps the more storied and interesting major group quests?

Aside from the obvious technical improvements this is what I hope is meant, lots of Morrowind's sidequests are interesting from a story perspective but as an actual gaming activity they're ****ing dull, Oblivion had comparatively rich sidequests but with way too much derpery in the plot department.

I've got a good feeling about Skyrim though, it's rare that I agree with everything I hear leading up to a new game's release but so far I haven't hated any of the titbits we're getting.

oblivion had a couple good things over morrowind:

archery was improved over prior games, but still not right (did no damage without mods, was silly, but physics was ok)

lots of quests, and quests that had more "story" to them.

better overarching faction storylines

hits with weapons always hit, only damage was affected by skills. I know not everyone sees this as improved, but I like it better.

everything else, morrowind did better. most of the time, a LOT better. environment, skill choices, weapon choices, characters, overall storyline, cities etc etc etc

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

hits with weapons always hit, only damage was affected by skills. I know not everything sees this as improved, but I like it better.

I do too. I forgot about that.

Oblivion had fantastic graphics. I think that's the only thing Skyrim needs to bring from Oblivion.

You're a funny man.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Oblivion had fantastic graphics. I think that's the only thing Skyrim needs to bring from Oblivion.

It had a snazzy new looking engine for the time, but every new graphical thing was horribly implemented and the art assets were terrible. I never really forgot my character's hand glowing with searing white light in a dark dungeon, thanks to the crap implementation of HDR.

Gothic III looked better than Oblivion if you ask me.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well oblivion was like the first game ever that had hdr so of course it's implementation wasnt perfect, I just remember when it came out and how it demolished my newly bought nvidia 7800, I mean nobody could max that thing out

Well, that's the down side of using

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It turns out you are a Dragonborn,

oh joy

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I thought everyone and his dog knew the player would be dragonborn :biggrin:

I guess I was hoping for the player character to be a little less special.

Oh well.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I thought everyone and his dog knew the player would be dragonborn :mellow:

Oh well.

Were you wanting to be the dragonborn's errand boy?

Oh well.

Always more interesting to be the power behind the throne rather than on the throne itself.

Oh well.

Always more interesting to be the power behind the throne rather than on the throne itself.

Isn't that a completely separate concept? If anything, being "special" and being "the power" are more similar elements than the throne.

Oh well.

You just described Oblivion :teehee: