Best HoMM game

HoMM  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best Heroes of Might and Magic game?

• HoMM
    • HoMM 2
    • HoMM 3
    • HoMM 4
    • HoMM 5
    • They all suck
    • I'm waiting for HoMM 6

I can't decide, I like them all, just for different reasons.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

5, because it's exactly like 3 only looks nice on my new PC. the campaign is a killer, though. very hard for an untrained gamer, which is either because the design sucks or because it's just great. I didn't dig too deep. but of course nobody cares about campaigns, because Heroes always was about hot-seat ;)

also, try Kingdoms while you're waiting, http://mightandmagicheroeskingdoms.ubi.com/en/ - it's free, has a two-week tutorial mode that lets you get acquainted with the game's mechanics, and it runs in the browser.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

See I like HoMM 3 because it's the one I've played the most with friends, but I like HoMM because its the one I've played the most. Thing is, HoMM 2 is more advanced than HoMM, hence it gets the complexity win. I like HoMM 4 because they changed the combat... I cannot choose so I shall just wait for HoMM 6, and say that HoMM 6 sucks.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

2 with 3 a close second

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

HoMM 3

I loved the 2nd one as well but hated the ghosts and the AI seemed to always flee right before you won and then return the next day with an even bigger army. There was less of that in the 3rd game plus they also included artifacts like shackles which prevented the AI from fleeing. Also, it had better multi-player options.

HoMM3.

While I didn't mind the combat in HoMM4, the changes to the "management" parts and loss of races/troop types was a major turn off. My interest in the franchise really disappeared then.

Only tried HoMM5 for around an hour (my little brother was stupid enough to buy it), hated it's guts, it's ugly graphics and the dumbing down of everything. At least it felt like that at the time.

Never tried HoMM and HoMM2.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've played 3 more than any other but these days if I want some HoMM I tend to play 5. It's kind of like Civ - I like 'em all and I tend to just play the most recently released one.

Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.

I played HoMM2 before the original so it's hard to have an opinion on that comparison. But a moot point anyway as HoMM3 is the best - the perfect sequel in a way, adding a lot of meat but basically losing nothing good from its predecessor. I regret now not buying the (at the time) maligned Heroes Chronicles spinoffs (they were essentially standalone campaigns using the HoMM3 engine), they're nigh-impossible to find now.

HoMM4 was if nothing else a bold attempt at branching out, since it would have had trouble improving upon perfection. Just a shame about 3DO being broke and all that resulting in a half-baked, unbalanced product (*stabs Trip Hawkins*) Nonetheless, it was fun enough to play as a single-character romp through the campaign with the overpowered heroes. Frankly in that capacity it was more an RPG than what passes as one now.

Have yet to give HoMM5 a proper shake of the sauce bottle.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I still think you shouldn't get HoMM 3, because it looks awful. most people here have good memories about that one, so do I, I've played it for years. but right after I bought HoMM 5 I couldn't bear 3's graphics any more. 3 is a very solid game, but only install it if you can look past the outdated graphics.

believe me, 5 is mostly the same in multiplayer

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I know nostalgia colours that sort of thing, but HoMM3 holds up fairly well given the 1024x768 resolution (hey, some people still use that today) and some lovely art. The older ones with 640x480 VGA I could understand a bit more.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I still think you shouldn't get HoMM 3, because it looks awful. most people here have good memories about that one, so do I, I've played it for years. but right after I bought HoMM 5 I couldn't bear 3's graphics any more. 3 is a very solid game, but only install it if you can look past the outdated graphics.

believe me, 5 is mostly the same in multiplayer

I already own HoMMs 3 & 5 so I won't be spending anything just wondering which I should get into seeing as one can lose days to this sort of game!

start with 3 then :sorcerer:

Walsingham said: