Risen 2: Dark Waters

In the World of Risen forums, someone made a list of info from a Norwegian preview.

Some interesting details here. I'll include things which may be new.

In the pirate city they noted the following:

- Water is crystal clear (which it often is in that kinda climate).

- You can see fish swimming in the water.

- They call the architecture exciting and unpredictable.

They praise the buildings for being exciting and realistic, and something people could actually build with all their flaws.

They say vegetation is more volumonious/rich and that it's more natural.

They say monsters will also have their night&day cycle, hopefully this implies they're a bit more advanced than sleeping at night.

They say the combat system is very similar to the one Risen and hints that we can also learn/do some dirty tricks (befitting being a pirate based game).

Bows and xbows are gone, and the firearms (as they call them) are muskets, rifles, shotgun and duel pistols. They're described as primitive, so wether blunderbluss is a more historically correct for shotgun remains to be seen. They also the use of such weapons is slow, pherhaps indicating a long reload time.

There's supposedly much less magic in Risen 2. There are some magic just not in the same way.

Swords are the most used weapons in the game (like always), so it's not a shooter. They say the game has an extensive crafting system, and among the things you can do is to make your own weapons (also powerful ones, hopefully endgame material).

The choice of several smaller islands instead of one bigger (Faranga) is to be able to optimize memory usage more to be able to run more smoothly on the consoles.

They said earlier the start would be more linear. Here they say the first two hours will be very linear to "guid the player in the right direction", and after that it opens up, with the only barrierrs being water and deadly monsters. The two first hours being linear isn't very long, however barriers being water indicates we may be trapped on that island for a longer period before we can explore the other islands.

There's No level scaling.

Risen 2 having a 40-60 hour playtime is mentioned.

The game world is described as dark and gloomy, yet with tropical and lifelike enviroments.

The reviewer criticizes the voice acting, saying it's average at best. However I thought they said voice acting had recently just started, so maybe those voices are not the ones who will be in the final game.

No levelscaling, slow gun usage, very similiar combat system to the first game (with added "dirty tricks"), 40-60 hours of gameplay... To what level this will be the case remains to be seen, but so far so good. :p

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

So far, so good!? I'm drooling over here.

I use a spittoon and tissues. Much cleaner drooling.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Do you guys really like Risen 1 so much? The demo was terrible. But that is the way things are sometimes.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Do you guys really like Risen 1 so much? The demo was terrible. But that is the way things are sometimes.

The demo is really pretty stupid in that it doesn't really show you the meat of how the game plays. It would have been much better if they just dropped you in the city and let you do a couple of quests, but then again, it's a pretty difficult game to make a demo for in the first place.

The demo is really pretty stupid in that it doesn't really show you the meat of how the game plays. It would have been much better if they just dropped you in the city and let you do a couple of quests, but then again, it's a pretty difficult game to make a demo for in the first place.

This. It is one of the best Gothic games, it literally IS Gothic II 2.0. Combat is not bad, multiple solutions to quests, factions, BIG world to explore. I had never had so much damn fun in a LONG time until this came out.

The bad: herpa derpa Chapters III (bearable), then the horrible Chapter IV :lol:

Still worth every damn penny I payed for it (on a steam sale).

I've been looking for Risen ever since I posted in this thread about a week or two back, but I can't believe how scarce the game is! At least, the 360 version doesn't seem to be carried by any stores, whether it be in-store or online.

What's the deal? It's not like it's an old game that's out of "print". It was, I believe, released about a year and a bit ago. :lol:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Do NOT get the 360 version - it was ported by a third party developer who did a ridiculously poor job, making a beautiful game look like 10 year old textures washed over by more bloom than Oblivion. Get the PC version (widely available at any download store, or for physical copies, dvd.co.uk at least has one) - it's not too high spec.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. I was more interested in it because of the upcoming sequel, but I'm not sure it's worth it if the only good version is on the PC. My PC is a POS, so all my gaming is done on the 360. If I can't get a 360 version, I miss out on the game altogether.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From WorstUsernameEver's preview link:

"This makes sense: after all, the world of Risen 2 is far larger than that of its predecessor, bigger than Gothic 3's, even."

OMG, how good does that sound?? Hype building again!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

From WorstUsernameEver's preview link:

"This makes sense: after all, the world of Risen 2 is far larger than that of its predecessor, bigger than Gothic 3's, even."

OMG, how good does that sound?? Hype building again!

That actually concerns me a bit. Risen was fairly small, but it also meant a tighter and more focused game than Gothic 3. I hope they don't lose that when they expand it.

All abilities and talents can be learnt via teachers, can be improved, and rely on five basic attributes: Close range (Blade skill, sabres and daggers), Far range (Shooting skills, pistols and rifles), Cunning (Silvertongue, dirty tricks, bomb planting, dodging, and so on), Toughness (Intimidation, immunity to swords and bullets, "booze-courage", and so on) and finally magic, which, at the present time, we can only speculate is Voodoo based.

To increase our attributes we need experience points; to learn talents, we have to pay gold. Whores can teach us Cunning skills, especially Silvertongue. We gain additional skills by obtaining legendary items. The variety of weapons, items and clothing is far more complex and broader than in Risen 1. You can even preview and compare items -- quite the progress.

Makes me giddy with excitement. They really seem to be pushing the character development this time (dialogue skills! in a Gothic Piranha Bytes' game!)