Risen 2: Dark Waters

at least it's about pirates for a change. if only it could be as good as SM's Pirates! :thumbsup:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Really looking forward to this, first game was really really excellent for the first chapters. I hope they can keep it up for the entire game this time around. And a pirate-RPG is one of those things I've been wanting for a long time now.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I think they hit on the 'soundbite' for the game quite nicely - a pirate role playing game. That'll help give it a clearly defined identity whereas with Risen it was really "the wha?" unless you were familiar with the Gothics and their convoluted histories.

Screens look like Risen of the Future, which is fine with me.

I don't think Gothics had interesting characters either, most of the time it was some entertaining moments to do with minor characters. It would be cool if they pulled a Gothic and had a few characters keep carrying over, the Inquisitor for instance was a fairly well written guy.

I really enjoyed Risen, even if the final hours were the weakest part of the game. Basically, I hope to see more of the same with some improvements. Animations needs some work and I hope they try to develop some of the characters this time. I had no problem with the voice acting, but I never cared fpr any of the NPC, well maybe one or two. I also wish to see returning characters, but I could do without Patty. The Inquisitor was the most interesting NPC in Risen, but I doubt he'll make a comeback.

I'm just happy to see a Risen 2, because I didn't know if Risen had good sales or not. This year is the best RPG year for me in many years.

Dungeon Siege III

The Witcher 2

Kingdoms of Amalur

Risen 2

TES V: Skyrim

Mass Effect 3

Dead State

Bastion

Torchlight 2

Diablo III?

And there are probably other WRPGs I can't think of at the moment. And I'm interested in about 10-15 JRPGs. Crazy gaming year for me.

It is easily the most anticipated game for me. Big surprise there..

I just hope swimming and diving makes a return. It is so strange how things evolve. The very first Gothic (released in 2001) featured climbing, jumping, running, walking, swimming and diving. Gothic 2 had all of these features too, but diving was no longer needed. Gothic 3 lost it completely, together with climbing (although jumping could take you to most places anyhow). Risen lost both swimming and diving, but regained climbing, although they forgot to make it worthwhile as climbing was not really needed anywhere.

I wonder if Piranha Bytes will ever get back to the full palette of movement again.. Being able to traverse a world the way you want to is such a big deal to me. Exploring underwater is one of the most fun things to do for me, especially when you're always at the risk of drowning (and have a chance of levelling up to make your diving skills better). Why don't more games use this??

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Why don't more games use this??

because obviously you're the only person in the world who appreciates this kind of thing in a role-playing game ;)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

(not sure what they mean by "external members")

apparently people who're doing all the outsourced work like sketches, concept art, coding etc. etc.

judging by this text, though, this game is likely to turn out not a lot better than Risen ;)

Walsingham said:

the combat system has been reconsidered completely

Good info. Thanks for posting.

The selected quote worries me just a bit because I really liked the melee combat in Risen (challenging and not a mere buttonsmashing festival).

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Piranha Bytes have always been great at doing proper melee combat, so I'm not worried. I hav eno idea how they'll make guns work, though.

Piranha Bytes have always been great at doing proper melee combat, so I'm not worried. I hav eno idea how they'll make guns work, though.

I know, though the phrase "reconsidered completely" (or rethought, redesigned, etc) never sounds good to me when talking about something which I already liked.

Since the guns appear to be muskets and the sort, I'd expect them to be decently effective even at their lowest, but very, very slow to reload - and possibly somewhat inaccurate. Dunno, though.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I'd never played Risen before, so when I saw this thread I decided to see if I could pick up the original for cheap. Weird thing is, I can't seem to find it listed on any of my usual sites I visit to purchase games. EB Games doesn't seem to have it, and neither does Best Buy.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'd never played Risen before, so when I saw this thread I decided to see if I could pick up the original for cheap. Weird thing is, I can't seem to find it listed on any of my usual sites I visit to purchase games. EB Games doesn't seem to have it, and neither does Best Buy.

EB Games <- PC >_<

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.