Dragon Age 2

Gorth

So, game's leaked for PS3 and Xbox already apparently.

[sarcasm]

Yep, that game day release DRM (and it's less then what it originally was even) for the PC really helped stop the pirates from getting this one.

Obviously it was so effective since everyone knows PC games are the biggest piracy focus (despite the fact that I can buy whatever console game pirated I want, if I wished, in asia...but not so for PC...the logic against PC piracy is really screwy).

Glad they prevented it from being leaked or released because their DRM is so effective at stopping pirates.

[/sarcasm]

Just my two cents on the issue of leakage and the entire "we need to put DRM, or at least date activations on the PC version to help prevent piracy" idea.

if the majority of people are playing on console, it makes some degree of sense that pirates would try to get that version first right?

i don't really pay much attention to how that all works though, it may be completely random

The reason why console games gets released well before release is because the distributors and other are careless with the products. And the games doesnt need cracking, so any warehouse employee can just take it home and copy it. PC games have tighter security and have DRM systems on the discs that need to be hacked, which requires skill and time.

And the people who crack games do it to prove how good they are, not because they want kids to be able to play it for free. It's all about creds and reputation

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The reason why console games gets released well before release is because the distributors and other are careless with the products. And the games doesnt need cracking, so any warehouse employee can just take it home and copy it. PC games have tighter security and have DRM systems on the discs that need to be hacked, which requires skill and time.

Bingo, in consoles the security is in the machine/firmware, on the PC it's in the game.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

xbox 360 has been cracked forever now, still it's considered the best platform. if it works with 360 games I can't see why they can't come up with something other than DRM for PC versions

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

xbox 360 has been cracked forever now, still it's considered the best platform. if it works with 360 games I can't see why they can't come up with something other than DRM for PC versions

... what?

ah forget it, wrote up two paragraphs just to receive the same "...what?" reply, not worth it. can't connect the dots on your own, I'm sorry, I don't feel like making my earlier post easier to comprehend :ermm:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Yeah, they can implement the DRM into your hardware. Is that what you want?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yeah, they can implement the DRM into your hardware. Is that what you want?

This is the reason for my previous "what?". The obvious step would be to combine the two, allow your computer to only run code signed by microsoft while being constantly connected to the internet. Yay. :ermm:

They tried to get hardware DRM locked into the CPU a few years ago. People hated the idea so they didnt go through with it for PC systems, Apple on the other hand were thrilled by the idea.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The DRM by processor/ hardware locking was "Trusted Computing" (even earlier was Intel's unique processor identifier, whose technical name escapes me and which got demoted to default off after an outcry as well).

TC's back: Steam is moving towards implementing hardware DRM in concert with Intel's new Sandy Bridge processors. On a purely optional basis and for your own protection, of course, and with the nice friendly name of Steam Guard.

[Not that DA2 is using anything like that though, its DRM seems to be about as reasonable as any other activation based system now that the periodic dial homes are gone]

Edited by Zoraptor

thank the good lord they got rid of that periodical online checkin requirement, that was a deal breaker for me

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Penny-Arcade is doing a comic again, apparently.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/info/pennyarcade/

They did one previously for DAO.

As a side note, I was surprised they didn't do one for Fallout: New Vegas. They had for Fallout 3. In fact, they didn't advertise New Vegas on their site at all.

Penny-Arcade is doing a comic again, apparently.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/info/pennyarcade/

They did one previously for DAO.

As a side note, I was surprised they didn't do one for Fallout: New Vegas. They had for Fallout 3. In fact, they didn't advertise New Vegas on their site at all.

Ah yeah, the comic by those lazy people who only do a page per week. Plus with that artwork I see no other excuse than they being lazy.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Ah yeah, the comic by those lazy people who only do a page per week. Plus with that artwork I see no other excuse than they being lazy.
You must be confused with someone else. They've been doing a really regular 3 day a week schedule for a decade.

If you're getting the PC or Mac version of DA II, there will be a high resolution texture pack available as a separate download on the BioWare site on Monday.

If you have a DirectX 11 card, Nvidia and ATI are scheduled to release new device drivers on Monday or Tuesday that will increase stability and performance for DA II.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

It's too late at night for a coherent post, it's just that something about Bioware not bothering to put the PC textures on the actual PC disc concerns me, I just don't have all the words at 4am. :shifty:

I'm guessing they wouldn't have fit in the single disc, otherwise? Makes sense as a cost-cutting measure. Interesting to see how big it is. Brings back KOTOR2 memories... :)

Final DRM info: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/14...194280&lf=8

Or maybe they finished the work on those after the game went gold. Wouldn't be that surprising, considering how rushed this project looks.

I was kind of hoping it wouldn't have been that. :shifty:

Oh dear...