Dragon Age 2

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Um, yes. Sort of continued from the previous thread. They lost me there where it said I would need yet another account. Having one way back from Warhammer online, one for Mass Effect 2 and one for Dragon Age, I gave up. Not going to create a new one for a demo.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Um, yes. Sort of continued from the previous thread. They lost me there where it said I would need yet another account. Having one way back from Warhammer online, one for Mass Effect 2 and one for Dragon Age, I gave up. Not going to create a new one for a demo.

You don't need an account for the demo...

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

You don't even need a new account. The Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age account should be your EA account. Your Warhammer account may or may not be, I do not recall.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't want to use the same account for anything. That might give them valuable info :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't want to use the same account for anything. That might give them valuable info :shifty:

You *don't need an account.* When the login screen pops up, hit "cancel." You can still play the demo.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

It's ok, you can wrap your account in tin foil and they won't be able to eavesdrop on your thoughts.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yeah... you do know that Bio has used datamining techniques to gather info on their playerbase, right? And that said info has been used to make design decisions?

Considering the result, I'm not surprised at all that Gorth wants to keep that **** to a minimum.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yeah... you do know that Bio has used datamining techniques to gather info on their playerbase, right? And that said info has been used to make design decisions?

Considering the result, I'm not surprised at all that Gorth wants to keep that **** to a minimum.

I'd think that the people with a "different" taste would make double sure that their data gets to Bioware. Certainly, if you keep your data away from Bioware, what right do you have to complain about them no longer designing the kind of game you'd like to play?

I'd think that the people with a "different" taste would make double sure that their data gets to Bioware. Certainly, if you keep your data away from Bioware, what right do you have to complain about them no longer designing the kind of game you'd like to play?
I'd be more inclined to believe that were it not for the fact that the huge step backwards that is DA2 (as far as what I want to see in RPGs goes) is the result, among other things, of datamining influencing the development process. As a result of the realization that I hold "fringe views" wrt computer games in general and RPGs in particular, coupled with the de facto democratization of design decisions adopted by Bio, I have given up all hope that they will make the kind of game I want, and will have to settle for their cinematic shooters at best, and perhaps the MMO. I no longer feel like collaborating with them for anything. Do you see yet why I don't appreciate their efforts to make me use their bastardized Facebook?

And tinfoil hats are, like, so 90's.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

am agreeing with nep... but at the same time we can very much understand a different perspective. datamining, particularly w/o informing us that we is gonna have our data mined, feels more than a little intrusive. if bio were to ask us if they coulds monitor our da:o or da2 gameplay so as to get a better notion o' actual player behavior, am betting we would volunteer. find out after the fact that bio had been digging through our digital dirty laundry is... different. 'course, knowing you is being observed changes behavior and taints results. regardless, Gromnir can see reasons for being reluctant to share with bio, particularly in light o' the fact that they didn't do us the courtesy o' asking for permissions. is... rude.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

.. Well to be fair to Bio.. there is that big shiny button under Options about "Not sharing gaming data with Bioware online"... so it's not as if its hidden away and they're concealing the fact..

:shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

.. Well to be fair to Bio.. there is that big shiny button under Options about "Not sharing gaming data with Bioware online"... so it's not as if its hidden away and they're concealing the fact..

IIRC the DA2 demo actually prompted me for it on first startup, so in that case (unlike with the previous two) it wasn't even "hidden" into options as a Big Shiny Button. Or maybe I just checked options straight away, not sure!

actually, "to be fair," is a small box to be checked (not a shiny button) on the online tab o' the options menu if you wish to share data... and the box is checked as a default. naughty-naughty. lord knows we never knew the box were there until it were pointed out to us some number o' months after playing. am guessing that Gromnir were not the only person who failed to read all the options menu boxes. we looks for specific video, audio, and gameplay options rather than double-checking all such.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

actually, "to be fair," is a small box to be checked (not a shiny button) on the online tab o' the options menu if you wish to share data... and the box is checked as a default. naughty-naughty. lord knows we never knew the box were there until it were pointed out to us some number o' months after playing. am guessing that Gromnir were not the only person who failed to read all the options menu boxes. we looks for specific video, audio, and gameplay options rather than double-checking all such.

HA! Good Fun!

Your lack of awareness and attention to detail does not make them the evil mastermind though.. :shifty:

I always tend to cycle through the options whenever I install a game, just to see what's there... Not because I'm a paranoid sufferer of OCD. Honest.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yes. And?

I'm not sure how looking at actual player data is a bad thing. While I'm at it, it doesn't have anything to do whether you log in to an account or not. The only data Gorth is giving them by logging on is telling them that his account played the demo.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

According to this interview with Laidlaw http://www.destructoid.com/the-old-school-...es-194234.phtml at Destructoid, they changed how the players get into the game:

It is Laidlaw's hope that players will be able to gradually immerse themselves in the Dungeons and Dragons-based mechanics through a set of increasingly-complex stages. Deciding, for example, that "I'm pretty sure I'd like to play as a rogue who is male," is the first step, says Laidlaw. "And then I kind of ease into, 'Ok, cool, these are my starting abilities and do I want to go more archery, do I want to dual-wield, or do I want to ... use more bombs and poisons?" Laidlaw explains that the team was adamant about not moving away from it's Gygax-inspired bedrock, preferring to streamline the tutorial and user interface instead.

And yes, this decision has been a result of telemetry data:

I think [Dragon Age II] sidesteps what I see as almost like traditions. Traditional weak points of the classic RPG are ... they're daunting. High barrier to entry. They're hard to get into," he says. BioWare's own player-tracking statistics tell a similar tale: a significant portion of Origins players had their own mystifying "other" moments, dropping the game after only an hour.

"They weren't even getting an Achievement," Laidlaw continues. The team was tempted to chalk those dropped players up to rentals, but the stats made it clear that people simply dropped the game.

Those stats had a dramatic effect on Laidlaw and his team, prompting them to totally re-evaluate how Dragon Age II fits into the auspices of classic role playing. "So our goal with 2, I think, is to strip away a lot of that barrier to entry to let you ease into the game," says Laidlaw.

As for the telemetry data, I first turned it off, but I quickly turned it on again after I learned that the reason Bioware decided to make Hawke human was the telemetry data they got; 80% of all people played Human Noble. Also, uploading the telemetry data helps Bioware do stuff like analysis for bugs in gameplay etc.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/