Project Virgina could be an XBLA Game

C2B

What could this be by the way?

FU: No, I'll get killed, but it's a licensed product but it's a licensed product that when people hear about it they're going to be "well you had to do that. there's no option, if I was a developer and I was offered that I would just do it."

Which IP would do that?

Icewind Dale 3? KOTOR 3? An Elder Scrolls game? :sorcerer:

It can't be Icewind Dale since Buck mentioned something about the future of the Franchise. (Also its not really a franchise every developer would take on if he could).

It doesn't seem like KOTOR too since they have done that before and he speaks of it as if it was something new.

Elder scrolls is a possiblity.

He mentions a license specifically. So maybe something outside of gaming. Another LOTR game?

It's obviously Neverwinter Nights: Return of Mephasm.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What could this be by the way?

FU: No, I'll get killed, but it's a licensed product but it's a licensed product that when people hear about it they're going to be "well you had to do that. there's no option, if I was a developer and I was offered that I would just do it."

Which IP would do that?

That's simple.

He'd be killed for talking and can't refuse the offer.

Here comes Godfather the RPG. :sorcerer:

Question : I thought Project Virginia was that canned project that is often talked by former employees, who often express their disappointement about the cancellation, because the game would have been AWESOME! Annie Mitsoda comes to mind, I think she talks about it in an interview on the Codex. If Virginia isn't that game, what am I confusing it with?

And sadly for the completist within me, if that game stays on the XBLA, it will probably be an Obsidian game I will never play.

Edited by Sannom

Question : I thought Project Virginia was that canned project that is often talked by former employees, who often express their disappointement about the cancellation, because the game would have been AWESOME! Annie Mitsoda comes to mind, I think she talks about it in an interview on the Codex. If Virginia isn't that game, what am I confusing it with?

And sadly for the completist within me, if that game stays on the XBLA, it will probably be an Obsidian game I will never play.

You are confusing it with Project New Jersey aka. Seven Dwarfs.

PV (hurr hurr) could also be the original IP Josh and MCA are working on.

The ultimate goal for a lot of studios making sequels is to finally jump off and work on their own original IP. Does Obsidian ever want to take that jump? "Absolutely," confirms Urquhart, before going on to say that Obsidian already has an original IP title underway. "We have a whole big cool world idea that we can hopefully talk about soon. That is a whole new world, a whole new thing. It's being put together by Josh Sawyer, who was the project director on Fallout New Vegas, and Chris Avellone is involved."

Hard to say if that's the "Sauron won" fantasy setting, but it could certainly be.

They also seem to think that the "Can't pass up" IP is the Wheel of Time game we already knew about. Ferg's been talking to Atari about IWD3 but seems to indicate it's not in the cards. He also wants to make an Ultima game.

Edited by Pop

Where can I find out more about this "Sauron won" idea?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

PV (hurr hurr) could also be the original IP Josh and MCA are working on.
The ultimate goal for a lot of studios making sequels is to finally jump off and work on their own original IP. Does Obsidian ever want to take that jump? "Absolutely," confirms Urquhart, before going on to say that Obsidian already has an original IP title underway. "We have a whole big cool world idea that we can hopefully talk about soon. That is a whole new world, a whole new thing. It's being put together by Josh Sawyer, who was the project director on Fallout New Vegas, and Chris Avellone is involved."

Hard to say if that's the "Sauron won" fantasy setting, but it could certainly be.

They also seem to think that the "Can't pass up" IP is the Wheel of Time game we already knew about. Ferg's been talking to Atari about IWD3 but seems to indicate it's not in the cards. He also wants to make an Ultima game.

Man, reading the Joystiq preview and now this. Do they have something against Obsidian? It seems awfully negative written.

@Tale: That was the "Defiance" Project that they pitched to Square Enix.

Edited by C2B

Ferg's been talking to Atari about IWD3 but seems to indicate it's not in the cards. He also wants to make an Ultima game.

Not sure I like those ideas.

Ultima has run it's course and Storm of Zehir did not make for an promising demonstration of what Icewind Dale 3 could look like.

But it's nice to see that he realizes how over ambitious Alpha Protocol was.

Going first time from stat based to action and trying to meld three different gameplay styles in an unfamiliar engine was never going to end well.

Edited by pmp10

Ferg's been talking to Atari about IWD3 but seems to indicate it's not in the cards. He also wants to make an Ultima game.

Not sure I like those ideas.

Ultima has run it's course and Storm of Zehir did not make for an promising demonstration of what Icewind Dale 3 could look like.

That was more the fault of the NWN2 engine than the game though.

Edit: Also about AP. AP's fault was that it was too hybrid traditional with its combat actually. It was basically the same thing that was used in Bloodlines/Deus Ex. Combine that with poor balancing and you got what you got. I didn't found much fault regarding the ambiouts things in the game actually. The choice system worked well.

Technically (Stability) I was actually impressed. It wasn't much worse than other UE3 titles. And given that its Obs and an RPG (Squares xbox version of Last Remnant was much worse) even more.

Edited by C2B