The more I read about DS3...

...the less interested I become.

Mass Effect style dialog wheels? Fable combat? More adventure less Diablo? No progression in co-op?

Are they really turning this game into one of these new age RPG's that ram cutscenes and pointless dialog choices down our throats? I played Dungeon Siege for the great character customization, tons of sweet sweet loot, and for it's fast and fun gameplay. From what I have read it sounds like they are changing the formula up too much to identify with other games in the genre.

I really hope this is not the case...please someone tell me I am wrong lol :blink:

*edit*

Great job on Fallout 3: New Vegas...Obsidian you are still rockstars in my book and please don't F-up DS3!

Edited by Renevent

Mass Effect style dialog wheels? Fable combat? More adventure less Diablo? No progression in co-op?

Yes/No (Obsidian touched naturally/Doesn't work the same way as in ME). No (also Fable didn't invent stances). No (It's actually more like Diablo with the focus on one charachter and its classes) Yes/No (Online Co-op is not known, Progression for host charachter, level is scaled -to the host charachter- to ensure balance, big influence on the game)

Also there is tons of good loot and the combat is fast and according to previewers very fun.

Edited by C2B

Yes/No (Obsidian touched naturally/Doesn't work the same way as in ME). No (also Fable didn't invent stances). No (It's actually more like Diablo with the focus on one charachter and its classes) Yes/No (Online Co-op is not known, Progression for host charachter, level is scaled -to the host charachter- to ensure balance, big influence on the game)

Also there is tons of good loot and the combat is fast and according to previewers very fun.

How does Fable "not inventing stances" have anything to do with it? All the preview I have read compared it with Fable in some ways. By the way I liked Fable...I just didn't want Fable mixed with my Dungeon Siege.

Also, what does "Obsidian touched naturally/Doesn't work the same way as in ME" mean in regards to the Mass Effect dialog thing? My point is hearing the the new Dungeon Siege will now have a lot more focus on dialog, dialog trees, decisions, ect, ect is disappointing to me. I never played DS for it's rich and detailed story and imo that's one of it's strengths. The game didn't bog you down with too much baloney...

Edited by Renevent

How does Fable "not inventing stances" have anything to do with it? All the preview I have read compared it with Fable in some ways. By the way I liked Fable...I just didn't want Fable mixed with my Dungeon Siege.

Also, what does "Obsidian touched naturally/Doesn't work the same way as in ME" mean in regards to the Mass Effect dialog thing? My point is hearing the the new Dungeon Siege will now have a lot more focus on dialog, dialog trees, decisions, ect, ect is disappointing to me. I never played DS for it's rich and detailed story and imo that's one of it's strengths. The game didn't bog you down with too much baloney...

1. It's not really like Fable in combat from what I gather. Thats what I mean. The only big link I see to Fable are the stances. Most reviewers compared combat/controls to titles like Gauntlet/Dark Alliance/Champions. And thats only consoles. How the PC controls feel. No idea. I'd guess close to a Diablo clone.

2. That the wheel works differently here. Also they included the option in nearly every dialouge to say "We have to go" nearly from the beginning without going much into details. Naturally you can still go into the story explore the lore etc. by talking to people. I'd guess there is even some sidecontent/missable choices in the conversations.

Also don't forget this is Obsidian at the helm. And DS doesn't have that bad a lore. So, regarding narrative the game could be unexpectable strong.

(Also DS2 featured parts of that already. Didn't it?)

Edited by C2B

Ok I see what you mean...and I was just doing some more reading and they also compared it to Dark Alliance...that I could stomach as it work well for the genre.

The Mass Effect thing though, it's not that I don't think Dungeon Siege has good lore, it's that I don't want the game to be bogged down with too much cinematics and pointless character interaction. Kill loot kill loot town sell quest kill loot...that's what I want lol.

"That the wheel works differently here. Also they included the option in nearly every dialouge to say "We have to go" nearly from the beginning without going much into details. "

^ This is confirmed? Do you miss out on things if you go this route?

Anyways it sounds like a lot of my fears may be slightly misguided...

"(Also DS2 featured parts of that already. Didn't it?) "

Somewhat...and it was the worst part of the game too. Especially for instance DS2 in the beginning...trying to get out of the Dryad treetop village was the worst part of the game.

Edited by Renevent

Nope, a previewer mentioned something similiar and I personally think its possible.

Also the story here will take a higher priority like in every other Obsidian game. But there is tons of loot and if you want you can focus on the gameplay.

Torchlight is coming out for XBOX360 soon, so if you also want to scratch the loot/sell loot itch its a very good game

Edited by C2B

Nope, a previewer mentioned something similiar and I personally think its possible.

Also the story here will take a higher priority like in every other Obsidian game.

Torchlight is coming out for XBOX360 soon, so if you also want to scratch that itch its a very good game.

Bleh...well I just hope they don't go too overboard and forget the essence of the originals.

I do have Torchlight for the PC, thanks for the suggestion though. Actually, there's tons of great ARPG's coming soon so even if DS3 turns out being less fun then expected there's still many to look forward to:

Torchlight 2

Darkspore

Grim Dawn (from Titan Quest developers)

Diablo 3

Path of Exile

bunch of others I can't remember right now...

Fable combat?

As far as I know, Dungeon Siege 3 doesn't feature "press A to win", and you can actually die, so it's nothing like Fable. :blink: Reviewers compare it with Fable because reviewers feel that they need to compare every game with the top 10 sellers of last year. You realise reviewers also call Obsidian Oblivion, for instance?

No progression in co-op?

I feel like a bloody tape here, but completely unfounded rumour based on a random journalist misunderstanding/making things up - nothing confirmed.

Anyway, yes, Torchlight and Diablo I feel would be the best comparisons for DS3 at this stage, from the info that we have: single character control, fast paced, lots of blazing through mobs in frantic action, lots of dungeon delving, not a large but well balanced set of abilities used to clearly define a character's playstyle, less character customisation but very clearly defined character roles, lots of loot.

Fable combat?

As far as I know, Dungeon Siege 3 doesn't feature "press A to win", and you can actually die, so it's nothing like Fable. :blink: Reviewers compare it with Fable because reviewers feel that they need to compare every game with the top 10 sellers of last year. You realise reviewers also call Obsidian Oblivion, for instance?

No progression in co-op?

I feel like a bloody tape here, but completely unfounded rumor based on a random journalist misunderstanding/making things up - nothing confirmed.

Anyway, yes, Torchlight and Diablo I feel would be the best comparisons for DS3 at this stage, from the info that we have: single character control, fast paced, lots of blazing through mobs in frantic action, lots of dungeon delving, not a large but well balanced set of abilities used to clearly define a character's playstyle, less character customisation but very clearly defined character roles, lots of loot.

This is been talked about in this thread already so no reason to go back in to it, but acting annoyed and calling the co-op thing a completely unfounded rumor is not really correct at all.

Anyways, the game may or may not still be comparable to Diablo...I hope it is afterall that's what the originals were based on. There ARE changes made (or seemingly) that indicate the focus may have shifted so people questioning it is not that unfounded.

Edited by Renevent

It is correct that while there is a lot of speculation / claims out there, there is zero official confirmation about how co-op will work, how many modes there are, how XP works, etc. I wouldn't believe 100% anything at the moment, as devs have said 'wait for official info'.

Of course questioning the game's various features is fine, what is 'unfounded' is "DS3 co-op has no XP gain".

It is correct that while there is a lot of speculation / claims out there, there is zero official confirmation about how co-op will work, how many modes there are, how XP works, etc. I wouldn't believe 100% anything at the moment, as devs have said 'wait for official info'.

Of course questioning the game's various features is fine, what is 'unfounded' is "DS3 co-op has no XP gain".

Well I wish they would clear it up then...to be honest while I have played tons of Obsidian games, I have never really participated on their forums.

But I am sure that's something that has already been said many times by many people lol...

I definitely agree that it'd be nice to clear up. We do get devs hanging around and talking when they can, but concrete 'info' tends to be restricted to official channels. It's partly due to the fact that Obsidian's games have an external publisher (in this case, Sega), who are usually in charge of PR/marketing.

I still like what I'm seeing from the previews so far. But please please make the party limit to 4 at minimum! Cant have the other characters just sitting at the inn while the others are on an epic journey to redeem the Legions right? What happens when you want to play as the other party members, by that time they probably are of far inferior level to cope up!

I still like what I'm seeing from the previews so far. But please please make the party limit to 4 at minimum! Cant have the other characters just sitting at the inn while the others are on an epic journey to redeem the Legions right? What happens when you want to play as the other party members, by that time they probably are of far inferior level to cope up!

I would imagine those other two chars will gain levels even if they ain't in the party all the time. You will get to level them up once they join your party again after being sidelined.

At least that's how it worked on NWN2 and Kotor2...

Hate the living, love the dead.