Shooooooogun!

Tigranes

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/22...emo-is-also-go/

I think CA are a good team gone rubbish who are up to their neck and making cool eyecandy stuff and can't be arsed fixing their AI since 3 games ago, but a new game means one must test before one condemns.

Of course, the demo only features autoresolved battles, tutorial battles and a historical scenario. Can we judge the AI on that, or will CA once again obfuscate their miserable failure? :lol:

(The eye candy, by the way, is brilliant)

I'm not going to touch this until I'm sure it isn't another joke game.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I hate Japan, not touching it. Id rather play another campaign of ETW or NTW.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Empire wasn't a rubbish game, not at all, and CA have the balls to keep making these massive games. All credit for that. I just think it's sad that they won't work on the AI which is unashamedly broken, but just on making cool and pretty things, then the game is so pretty and has so many cool things people excuse the fact that it is really really broken.

For 3 games.

Would absolutely love a Shogun TW2 that had a halfway decent AI, will try this next week and see, since on most other departments you can trust CA to do a good job.

I don't think my current rig can hadle Shogun Total War 2. I just finished Napoleon Total War and it already was rough for my machine.

I'm not big fan of shogun era Japan either, but I'll definately get this game sooner or later. Rome Total War was excellent, Medieval 2 was great too (I liked those eras a lot). Empire Total War was the most grand of 'em all, but like I've said before, I didn't like the era.. or more accurately musket combat.

Scale of the battles in Shotgun Total War might be the most accurate so far. In all other Total War games (original Shogun might be exception, I only played demo back in a day) have had to scale down the size of the armies. All battles happen in Japan and even the largest of the factions were relatively small (untill the final battles. Obviously this depends how well engine perform, so there might be some scaling going on. And some of the clan alliances (or conqured domains) were damn huge, in the end maybe over 100.000 men. Don't know if they all fought at once in any battle.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I've played all the games. Didn't much like Napoleon, it had an annoying artillery ground shake effect you couldn't turn off, and there was the whole DLC scheme. Seemed like every unit had to be purchased seperately, I guess were not done with that either.

Looking forward to RAN style action with improved graphics though. Kaftan is a moron, warring states period is the perfect setting.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I played the demo's historical battle, it's pretty close to a no win scenario. Doesn't give you much tactical flexibility. Kind of annoying overall. But the new ranged combat etc is much better and the fights are FARRR bigger (upwards of 5k... admittedly I've been playing a LOT of rome). Looks fantastic but then what doesn't these days.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I grew frustrated and quit playing the original when I couldn't complete a mission. The mission? I believe it was the second stage in the tutorial. Despite my best intentions, I just couldn't make those archers of my kill that unit of infantry.

I really did like Rome: Total War though. I hope this one turns out well.

Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.

I'm gonna be honest, I find it a little odd that they had the SHIMAZU betray you rather than the Kobyakawa in the historical scenario. The Kobayakawa are historically the traitors, having only made their final allegiance to the Tokugawa after Iyeasu had a unit of muskets fire on his position.

>.>

<.<

For those who don't know the Battle of Sekigahara was basically the deciding point of the future shogunate. The two sides clashing were those who supported the Toyotomi's (Hideyoshi was the first man in the era to unite ALL of Japan under his banner, then launched a few unsuccesful attacks on Korea before dying and having everything splinter), and the "upstarts" under Iyeasu Tokugawa. Mitsunari Ishida led the Toyotomi Loyalists and had possibly one of the most bad ass generals under his command (Yukimura/Nobushige Sanada).

After Sekigahara Tokugawa basically mopped up the last of the Toyotomi and set up the 200 year long reign of the Tokugawa Shogunate that put Japan into a technological and sociological stasis that took Oliver Hazard-Perry opening their port with cannon to break them out of (and trigger a fairly bloody rebellion).

Who cares what some weird, backward dudes on an island were doing? If CA had balls and didnt look to cater to manga fans, they would have made a game set in ancient China instead.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Please, the Yuan dynasty tried to conquer Japan twice. Mother Nature was like, no way, you guys are lamer than the samurai.

Seriously though, the samurai are the ultimate medieval warriors. In a one on one fight, they've got the best swords and the best discipline. If they win, they go write poetry and trim bonsai trees, and if they lose, they commit ritual suicide. Win win.

I was dissapointed in E:TW until mods fixed it somewhat.. this time I'll wait a month for the first semicoherent user reviews to trickle in. I'm just crossing fingers for much better mod support, I've never really enjoyed a TW game without 'em.

Fortune favors the bald.

I played the demo and I like it. Was really easy to control troops as it's about the same as in Napoleon Total War. But with much more interesting units, kinda like in Medieval 2 / Rome Total War. I love to see powerful archers and spearmen again and cavalry charges from behind the enemy or good ol' hammer and anvil strategy (well, you could do charges in all Total War games but since every musketmen was like spiked death trap, I perfer the more simpler times :p ).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Please, the Yuan dynasty tried to conquer Japan twice. Mother Nature was like, no way, you guys are lamer than the samurai.

Seriously though, the samurai are the ultimate medieval warriors. In a one on one fight, they've got the best swords and the best discipline. If they win, they go write poetry and trim bonsai trees, and if they lose, they commit ritual suicide. Win win.

Nah, a knight would kick his ass. Samurai are pretty cool though.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

A viking with a rock could easily have taken out some tiny asian dude with a ninja sword:

1. throw rock at samurai

2. jump him when hes distracted

3. strangle him

4. raping and pillaging

Depends on what era Samurai we are talking. After Tokugawa gained supremacy the samurai had nothing left to do so the ones that didn't starve became bureaucrats and teachers. In the middle of warring states however, every season had been a campaign season for as long as anyone could remember, they definitely knew how to fight.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Actually the ritual suicide came much later for simply losing.

The samurai were probably just the same as everything else from Japan - grossly exaggerated to make them look good. The scrawny little samurais would probably have run away as soon as they caught sight of a bearded, maniacal, axe-murderering viking.

Vikings are big and strong, not tiny and weak.

I donno kafty. Not many Vikings would yank out their own eye so as to prevent weakness. Although Xiahou Dun did it better (he yanked it out and ate the sucker in the middle of a fight after being shot by an arrow IN SAID EYE) but he's a chinese guy from years before. Nor would they write an entire book on history, tactics and philosophy after beating another guy to death with a boat paddle.

SW3_Tadakatsu_Honda_Sig_01_by_PimplyPete.png

My name is Tadakatsu Honda, and I approve this message

692552-char_10_super.jpg

HONK HONK(I to am Tadakatsu Honda!)

Edited by Calax