no XP on local co-op?

This sounds even better than what I was expecting. At any point in the game, my friend can join in and play, without having to worry about level differences, equipment and stats. The 3 minutes it may take him to level up his skills, is hardly something that would bother me.

Surely not at every point in the game. From what I've read the early missions entail 'unlocking' i.e. rescuing the 3 unselected characters i.e. if Lucas you need to rescue Angel, Gun Girl & the Alchemist (okay nicknames may not be accurate) before they can join your party. In Co-Op people play as your allies, which you won't have to begin with. That means no Co-Op until you're partway through the game right?

This sounds even better than what I was expecting. At any point in the game, my friend can join in and play, without having to worry about level differences, equipment and stats. The 3 minutes it may take him to level up his skills, is hardly something that would bother me.

Surely not at every point in the game. From what I've read the early missions entail 'unlocking' i.e. rescuing the 3 unselected characters i.e. if Lucas you need to rescue Angel, Gun Girl & the Alchemist (okay nicknames may not be accurate) before they can join your party. In Co-Op people play as your allies, which you won't have to begin with. That means no Co-Op until you're partway through the game right?

It is said that your friend can play any of the other 3 characters, even if they are locked for you (as a host player). Let me quote Co-optimus:

They were only showing local co-op, one dev played as Lucas while the other jumped in and out of the game as Anjali. He said that he could choose any of the three characters, even if the host player had not unlocked them yet.

It is said that your friend can play any of the other 3 characters, even if they are locked for you (as a host player). Let me quote Co-optimus:

They were only showing local co-op, one dev played as Lucas while the other jumped in and out of the game as Anjali. He said that he could choose any of the three characters, even if the host player had not unlocked them yet.

Ah, my mistake. I've only read a couple of the previews so far and hadn't seen that. I'm sortof hung up on the AtomicGamer one that describes DS3 as being akin to Street Fighter, regular attacks being used to power up the ability to launch an uber attack. Oh and another one that said no regeneration. Mana's out I understand but I anticipated health regen. Apparently that's not the case. Lucas Skywalker :( apparently has a regen stance but whether that's common to all characters ???

Ah, my mistake. I've only read a couple of the previews so far and hadn't seen that. I'm sortof hung up on the AtomicGamer one that describes DS3 as being akin to Street Fighter, regular attacks being used to power up the ability to launch an uber attack. Oh and another one that said no regeneration. Mana's out I understand but I anticipated health regen. Apparently that's not the case. Lucas Skywalker :( apparently has a regen stance but whether that's common to all characters ???

All characters have a defensive stance like Lucas.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

Co-Optimus preview updated

Editor's Note: We've removed some details on co-op for now as it seems we've jumped the gun a bit on the multiplayer info. Coming in early March we'll have a brand new feature highlighting co-op gameplay in Dungeon Siege 3 along with interviews and quotes from various members of the Obsidian staff regarding the game and its multiplayer features.
Edited by funcroc

Good, now perhaps we can move on from the :thumbsup: that all originated with a couple of idiot journos not knowing what they're on about.

Sounds really normal to me, SP characters, MP characters, they earn XP, etc. This is a no-news. The only possibly controversial thing is hwo you can't have more than 1 Lucas in a single game, as that might get inconvenient.

"Co-op players can absolutely expect to have the loot and experience they gain in multiplayer games to be saved to their multiplayer characters ... Achievements and Trophies earned in multiplayer are still saved to your profile as normal and there are additional awards that you can only receive from playing in a multiplayer co-operative game."

"There

What the hell does this mean? Does it mean if you join a game where you have to play Anjali and your multiplayer character is Lucas, do you get to take xp and loot you get back to your character Lucas?

No. You will have to make Anjali or one of the other two to play with.

Hate the living, love the dead.

What the hell does this mean? Does it mean if you join a game where you have to play Anjali and your multiplayer character is Lucas, do you get to take xp and loot you get back to your character Lucas?

No. You will have to make Anjali or one of the other two to play with.

I see...guess we'll need to create 4 multiplayer characters at once then. That way no matter who you have to play you'll be good.

You'd only have two mian types of co-op though - ones where you play with buddies and keep going with the same guys, where it's not an issue, and ones where you just jump in anywhere, in which case you can just jump in wherever your character's available. Would only be a problem if balance issues meant everybody wanted to be X.

I'm not crazy about the decision though, in the end to me MP/co-op is about playing with other people, SP is about the story and taking your time doing things, etc. I suppose there are a lot of char-specific things in the plot going on.

You'd only have two mian types of co-op though - ones where you play with buddies and keep going with the same guys, where it's not an issue, and ones where you just jump in anywhere, in which case you can just jump in wherever your character's available. Would only be a problem if balance issues meant everybody wanted to be X.

I'm not crazy about the decision though, in the end to me MP/co-op is about playing with other people, SP is about the story and taking your time doing things, etc. I suppose there are a lot of char-specific things in the plot going on.

This is just for co-op though right? I'm sure there's gonna be an persistant non-story related online mode right? Where we can all build our characters and play online together?

I don't know what you mean by 'persistent' here, as there certainly wouldn't be an MMO-style world. We don't know yet if we'd have something like that or not, they've kept a tight lip.

I don't know what you mean by 'persistent' here, as there certainly wouldn't be an MMO-style world. We don't know yet if we'd have something like that or not, they've kept a tight lip.

Something like Diablo 2 I think. Unlikely, since in Diablo 2 the amount of points you can put into a skill is almost limitless, while DS3 seems a lot more limited. I think we should think of DS3's multiplayer as centered around playthroughs instead of being centered around the characters.

Something like Diablo 2 I think. Unlikely, since in Diablo 2 the amount of points you can put into a skill is almost limitless, while DS3 seems a lot more limited. I think we should think of DS3's multiplayer as centered around playthroughs instead of being centered around the characters.

Yeah like Diablo or Sacred where you can jump in a game with friends and kill stuff, grind for loot,build your character and just do whatever thats not binded by story. A free mode so to speak.

So you can share loot and xp in multiplayer which is good but can't play the same characters as others. I can live with that but I have a question. What happens if 2 people play a multiplayer game and lets say finish the first part of the game, how am I am I able to join up with them if I am starting from the beginning ? Will it be that you can only join multiplayer games with other people that are at the same point in the story as you ? Ofcourse other than making your own multiplayer game.

Edited by Mephster

If the "story-telling" gets in the way of fun gameplay, then really you should adjust the storytelling to accommodate the game playing.

Lootwhore games are not about the story. Diablo had almost no story, people still loved it.

I agree

So you can share loot and xp in multiplayer which is good but can't play the same characters as others. I can live with that but I have a question. What happens if 2 people play a multiplayer game and lets say finish the first part of the game, how am I am I able to join up with them if I am starting from the beginning ? Will it be that you can only join multiplayer games with other people that are at the same point in the story as you ? Ofcourse other than making your own multiplayer game.

i think u misunderstood our assumptions -

if your friend is playing lucas and is on level 10 and a lter point in the game and u want to play with him than :

A) u cant be lucas because that character is taken.

B) you WILL join your friend in whatever level he is in.

C) your character's level will be identical to your friend (if he is at level 10 and u just joined for the first time u will also be automatically level 10) and u will need to spend a few minutes putting your XP into your character before starting to play.

D) if u leave the game with that character u just costumized than u cant take it to your own game. we assume it will only be a part of your friend's game.

E) if u go back to your friends game after another long time u havent played while he HAS than again - your saved character will get the same level as your friend but will probably keep all the skills u created for it but now u will have even more XP to put into newer skills.

this is how we GUESS it will work. we'll see. i hope a new official word comes from the devs on some website to make this more clear.

as a matter of fact im not sure if what is writting in this preview from IGN contradicts what we thought or not....

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1154653p1.html

i am still wondering about this -

if i join my friend's game as , say, anjali, and i play for a while with him and then quit. can he keep playing with ANOTHER character that isnt anjali so the skill set of anjali won't change? so the next time i join i will be able to take anjali with the same skills she had when i quit (and the extra XP that was added while my friend was advancing the campaign)?

or will all characters, even the ones that my friend didnt have as AI buddies, get new skills?

i assume it's my first guess, though.