no XP on local co-op?

i dont know if this subject was discussed or not so im having at it:

as far as i read on these forums, in local co-op the joined in player can not level up or get experience? is that true? is his character not persistent? how does that work?

im not here to complain. im just curious.

For example - if im playing the main character, say the warrior, and im half way through the campaign and a second player joins in-

1) how will he get to decide which character he plays?! is it predetermined somehow or does he have any saying in who he plays?

2) how does the game determine what abilities and level that secondary player gets when he joins? the same as the character that is currently in the game with the main player (the warrior in this example)?

3) how does the AI character in an off-line game gets leveled up? is it automatic? or does the player decide how to advance his AI teammate?

4) just in case i didnt get it - if the joining player DOES get to level up the secondary character, what is he leveling up? his own character [which he gets to keep leveling from the last point he played it] or the AI character [which keeps leveling up if he doesnt play with the main player who plays the game offline occasionally]?

there are too many things i do not understand and since i havent played DS1 or 2 than others might have better guesses than me.

as far as i read on these forums, in local co-op the joined in player can not level up or get experience? is that true?

No, this was a baseless rumour that one site made up / got wrong and everyone else repeated. We don't know exactly how it will work yet but I'd bet money this won't be the case.

But as C2B says, I think we'll know in the next couple of months.

If the Fable 2 style co-op mode is untrue, Obsidian should make that clear to everyone. I am seeing the rumor float everywhere. Every DS3 preview/video/screenshot has comments like: too bad the co-op mode sucks. People are getting the wrong impression.

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

If the Fable 2 style co-op mode is untrue, Obsidian should make that clear to everyone. I am seeing the rumor float everywhere. Every DS3 preview/video/screenshot has comments like: too bad the co-op mode sucks. People are getting the wrong impression.

This information is for local co-op.

Apparently it is somewhat and somewhat not. From what I gather you jump in as a new charachter. However, you can skill him to your liking (which since there are predefined classes is really the only thing you need) and you have the same amount of influence on the game as the host charachter. Your level is adjusted to the host charachter when you enter the game to ensure balance.

As for multiplayer/co-op with strangers. We don't know yet.

Edited by C2B

as far as i read on these forums, in local co-op the joined in player can not level up or get experience? is that true?

No, this was a baseless rumour that one site made up / got wrong and everyone else repeated. We don't know exactly how it will work yet but I'd bet money this won't be the case.

But as C2B says, I think we'll know in the next couple of months.

Thats what Gamespot said and what other sites are saying for local co-op. It is not wrong, it is only a misunderstanding.

Let me clarify things. This is what co-optimus said, but they also said they are not so sure about it:

Okay, okay, here's the scoop on the co-op. Dungeon Siege 3 may revolutionize the way we think of co-op in hack 'n slash RPGs. Whether it's for the betterment of gaming remains to be determined. In the first break out session I watched as two developers played through a cave level as Lucas and Anjali. They were only showing local co-op. One dev played as Lucas while the other jumped in and out of the game as Anjali. He said that he could choose any of the three characters, even if the host player had not unlocked them yet. He could not choose another Lucas, so there would be no clones running around. Two players can play locally on a shared screen. But what about experience, story progression, and loot? How, exactly, does local co-op work?

Well, great news, casual co-op gamers! You can jump into Dungeon Siege 3 at any point in time and not have to worry about being under- or overpowered! You will be the same level as the host player. The host player will have maintained the character you have chosen, being that the host has had that character as an AI controlled companion since they have met them in the game. If you pick a character that the host has not unlocked yet, you will instantly be leveled up to the host's character level. You will then distribute skill points accordingly. And don't fall asleep during the conversation portions of the game, you will have a role to play there, as well.

Here's the rub. Bad news, hardcore gamers! it looks like co-op will only benefit the host player. Any and all experience, loot, and story progress stays with the host player. You will take nothing but sweet memories back to your own game. You will not be jumping into your buddy's game with an uber-powered character of your own design. And if you are the host player, you better hope that whoever jumps in isn't a complete fool, because they'll be leveling up your companion characters, and you're stuck with them after your guest leaves.

interesting news, rafoca. thanks.

what im wishing for is a nice local co-op. i want to play with my G\F and i just want her to have the option to play as anjali and be the host while i jump in as whoever i want. she likes playing as females and i want her to have the most out of the experience. i dont mind the down sides of being the player who joins because if the game is fun as SP than i will play a separate game alone as lucas or whatever character i feel like when my girl is not around.

however do u know if a player can start the game as any character he pleases and have the remaining 3 get unlocked during the game or is it that u start as lucas and have a chance to change characters as u unlock them in the only order in which they get unlocked?

What you want topeira should actually be better if the 'co-optimus' description is true. You and your wife could play together and you could jump in with any character, and you wouldn't have to be there the entire way through to make sure you're not underlevelled or not in the same place.

interesting news, rafoca. thanks.

what im wishing for is a nice local co-op. i want to play with my G\F and i just want her to have the option to play as anjali and be the host while i jump in as whoever i want. she likes playing as females and i want her to have the most out of the experience. i dont mind the down sides of being the player who joins because if the game is fun as SP than i will play a separate game alone as lucas or whatever character i feel like when my girl is not around.

however do u know if a player can start the game as any character he pleases and have the remaining 3 get unlocked during the game or is it that u start as lucas and have a chance to change characters as u unlock them in the only order in which they get unlocked?

If you play as Lucas, that is who the character is for that save. And in regards to your wants for you and your GF, that's exactly how that game plays as. :lol:

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

This is a little disappointing. I was hoping to play with my friends online together while all of us get xp, loot and advance in the story together like Dungeon Siege has always been. Why change things just because it is the easier thing to do. Atleast tell us we can customize our companions the way we want ? Will there be harder difficulty modes so we can get better loot ?

Edited by Mephster

This is a little disappointing. I was hoping to play with my friends online together while all of us get xp, loot and advance in the story together like Dungeon Siege has always been. Why change things just because it is the easier thing to do. Atleast tell us we can customize our companions the way we want ? Will there be harder difficulty modes so we can get better loot ?

You all gain xp, loot and advance in the story, but only in that save game that that the host has (that's for co-op). I don't see what the problem is if you are planning on playing it with your friends. What stops you from continuing that save later on together?

There's still no confirmation how it's done in online mulplayer mode, but I would imagine they are pretty much as the same as with co-op on same machine.

As to why change things towards easier to do? Porting the game to 3 different platforms is easier? Also you need to have some sense of realism. Obsidian and Square-Enix aren't making this game with the same infinite budget as Blizzard uses for it's games. Not to mention they are resurrecting an IP that wasn't a huge hit to begin with. If things go well with DS3 you might see more features added later on to the game via dlcs/expansions/sequels.

Companions, yes you can customize them as in you get to choose where to put their talent points etc.

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

so are you thinking that if, for example, my GF is playing an anjali, she gets to level 10, and i join at a certain point as lucas than i get a level 10 character and put my XP into skills so i have a working level 10 lucas with level 10 skills?

if that is true, what happens if we stop playing and continue later on? i am sure her anjali will still have her character as it was but do u recon that my lucas will be stored so the next time me and her get to play than i will be able to pick MY lucas from the last point i played with him? or will i have to costumize lucas AGAIN every time i join her game? for example, if she played without me and get to level 13 and i join, will i get a fresh out of the box lucas but with enough XP to be a level 13 OR will i get my level 10 lucas and i will have to use only the exprience between the level 10 i previously had to level 13 anjali is?

so are you thinking that if, for example, my GF is playing an anjali, she gets to level 10, and i join at a certain point as lucas than i get a level 10 character and put my XP into skills so i have a working level 10 lucas with level 10 skills?

if that is true, what happens if we stop playing and continue later on? i am sure her anjali will still have her character as it was but do u recon that my lucas will be stored so the next time me and her get to play than i will be able to pick MY lucas from the last point i played with him? or will i have to costumize lucas AGAIN every time i join her game? for example, if she played without me and get to level 13 and i join, will i get a fresh out of the box lucas but with enough XP to be a level 13 OR will i get my level 10 lucas and i will have to use only the exprience between the level 10 i previously had to level 13 anjali is?

If your gf is level 13 and when you previously played Lucas was lvl 10 your Lucas will be lvl 13 as well. I would imagine that the Lucas that was stored on her save game will keep the points you choose (+ those your gf chose when shen continued her save), so you don't have to respec him everytime, but that just my guess.

From game balancing point of view that makes the most sense to me. Since there's no point at all to continue to play with your Lucas if let's say your Lucas is lvl 5 and your gf is lvl 15. Those level 15 mobs would whack the **** out of your Lucas. Or your GF would have to take you to some low lvl area to do some old sidequests she skipped to get you some levels. Not very fun if you ask me ;)

If your gf is level 13 and when you previously played Lucas was lvl 10 your Lucas will be lvl 13 as well. I would imagine that the Lucas that was stored on her save game will keep the points you choose (+ those your gf chose when shen continued her save), so you don't have to respec him everytime, but that just my guess.

From game balancing point of view that makes the most sense to me. Since there's no point at all to continue to play with your Lucas if let's say your Lucas is lvl 5 and your gf is lvl 15. Those level 15 mobs would whack the **** out of your Lucas. Or your GF would have to take you to some low lvl area to do some old sidequests she skipped to get you some levels. Not very fun if you ask me :p

yeah. this is what i imagine will happen as well. (im talking about local co-op. not online. me and my girl love sitting side by side)

i am just thinking that me and her will probably only play together and none of us will advance without the other one playing so all i really want is that whenever she loads up the save game than we will have both of our characters just where we left them so we can continue right where we left off with the same characters. i was (and still am) worried that whenever i join the game i will have to do some character customization to my lucas before we continue playing.

im pretty just her character will be persistent and that's the most important thing for me - make her enjoy the game and have a seamless experience with a character she will grow attached to.

on top of that i want my character to be as persistent as possible and it makes sense that my character's stats and skills will be stored somewhere so when i join than i can either chose either a new character or my old lucas that i put a few hours into building.

the rumors about not gaining XP on local co-op has me worried...

You all gain xp, loot and advance in the story, but only in that save game that that the host has (that's for co-op). I don't see what the problem is if you are planning on playing it with your friends. What stops you from continuing that save later on together?

There's still no confirmation how it's done in online mulplayer mode, but I would imagine they are pretty much as the same as with co-op on same machine.

As to why change things towards easier to do? Porting the game to 3 different platforms is easier? Also you need to have some sense of realism. Obsidian and Square-Enix aren't making this game with the same infinite budget as Blizzard uses for it's games. Not to mention they are resurrecting an IP that wasn't a huge hit to begin with. If things go well with DS3 you might see more features added later on to the game via dlcs/expansions/sequels.

Companions, yes you can customize them as in you get to choose where to put their talent points etc.

Ascaron, the company behind Sacred 2 (multiplatform), didn

Ascaron, the company behind Sacred 2 (multiplatform), didn

As far as I know, you will gain xp on local co-op on the char you play. You just can't port that char into another save game. It's "stuck" on the person's save game who you played it with.

Many of you have probably not played them, but think of the co-op like it was handled in another Square Enix(Squaresoft back then) series, Secret of Mana.

secret of what? j\k. no. dont know what that is.

hold on , let me ask.

oh, thank you, youtube. my, that's an old one.

As far as I know, you will gain xp on local co-op on the char you play. You just can't port that char into another save game. It's "stuck" on the person's save game who you played it with.

if this is the case than im prefectly fine by that. it makes sense, balance wise, and i am all for balance. in this type of game at least.

This sounds even better than what I was expecting. At any point in the game, my friend can join in and play, without having to worry about level differences, equipment and stats. The 3 minutes it may take him to level up his skills, is hardly something that would bother me.