Question about feats for my character...

I'm planning to go Jedi Guardian to Jedi Weapons Master and I want to know what defensive feats/powers I should choose (Conditioning, Jedi Defense, etc).

I'm going for a tank that can dish out double blaster damage then switch to lightsabers for close combat with little reliance on force powers except for crowd control and a bit of buffing...

My Future Feats Are:

Master Two Weapon Fighting

Master Toughness

Master Flurry

Master Rapid Shot

Master Jedi Defense

Heavy Armor

(What else should I include?)

My Future Powers are (This is where I'm having the most trouble):

Master Speed

Affect Mind? (Master or whatever final one is)

Force Whirlwind

Master Energy Resistance? (Whatever the final one is)

Force Armor? (Whatever the final one is)

Before I go any farther I really want to know what I should focus on. Thanks for reading!

Edited by AsILayDying

I'd focus on lightsabers - maybe blasters for RP reasons - but not both, and get the whole specializeation feat series for that weapon. Sticking to one weapon also means you don't need to take fighting feat trees (and they need to be maxed) for two weapons. Btw, if Guardians still get Force Jump you will not need ranged weapons.

I think you get Jedi Defense for free.

Heavy armor may hamper your use of force powers - though you might be lucky and find some that don't - check which powers are not restricted or have very long durations. I never use Armor much, Master Speed rocks but you can't cast it in armor. Don't forget Barrier, Battle Medidation and Valor - in longer/harder fights they can make livng a lot easier.

Edited by MalaksBane

I'd focus on lightsabers - maybe blasters for RP reasons - but not both, and get the whole specializeation feat series for that weapon. Sticking to one weapon also means you don't need to take fighting feat trees (and they need to be maxed) for two weapons. Btw, if Guardians still get Force Jump you will not need ranged weapons.

I think you get Jedi Defense for free.

Heavy armor may hamper your use of force powers - though you might be lucky and find some that don't - check which powers are not restricted or have very long durations. I never use Armor much, Master Speed rocks but you can't cast it in armor. Don't forget Barrier, Battle Medidation and Valor - in longer/harder fights they can make livng a lot easier.

Alright thanks. Is there any Heavy Armor that doesn't restrict force powers? And I think I made a mistake.. I'm the specialization that receives resistance to Horror and powers like that. What about defensive feats?

You should really focus on feats related to lightsaber/melee combat. Max out Flurry, Power Attack and Critical Strike. Also add Finesse:Lightsaber, and Lightsaber Specialization (but maybe you get that for free as a Guardian)

Ditch those stinking blasters, you're a JEDI for Yoda's sake!

Toughness/Conditioning really aren't necessary for your main PC, only add those when you have maxed out important feats and are left with spare points you don't know how to use...

Only add Two-Weapon Fighting if you're certain you're gonna use two weapons consistently throughout the game, or else it's a complete waste...

I don't think there are any *Heavy* Armor that doesn't restrict Force Powers. Armor that don't restrict them have a distinct medieval knight look and it is stated in the description that they allow to you use powers. That said, I can think of only one moment in the game where I actually needed an armor. Most of the time, you'll want to wear Jedi Robes. So Armor feats are OK, but optional.

As for powers, Energy Resistance and indeed most defensive powers are completely useless in my experience and a waste of points, especially as the game progresses. Why? Because by the time you reach level 15, your PC pretty much becomes Terminator and wipes out any opposition in seconds...

Master Energy Resistance absorbs 20 points, which doesn't make that much of a difference when you have 250 vitality points or more... Add only Force Armor.

I think you should get more offensive powers... I mean, they are too much fun to use... and in a room full of Dark Jedi, your lightsaber skills won't be enough to save you.

Light/neutral/defensive powers: Force Wave (great for "crowd control"), Stasis Field, Destroy Droid, Master Valor, Master Heal, Master Speed, Battle Meditation... Force Immunity can be useful at the very end for a light-sider.

Don't be afraid to use those

Edited by Togruta

Everyone plays it differently I guess.

Finesse, only take it when your dexterity is higher then your strength and if you're using a doublebladed saber I'd recommend going strength - you get a rather large strength related damage bonus with those.

Your choice of fighting feats depends a bit on weapon choice. Power Attack is usually meh, for critical strike you do not want a double bladed - which has a smaller chance to get a critical. Flurry works with just about anything.

Fighting a room full of Dark Jedi isn't hard with saber oriented build - but AoE spells are fun nevertheless. The prospect leads me to point out Force Immunity - nothing more annoying then getting stunned in a room full of Dark Jedi and Immunity helps.

Energy resistance is good, especially against lightsaber wielding opponents - 20 points damage reduction on every hit is quite substantial - and less damage taken is less time spend healing. It's also - I think - one of the few that can be cast in armor. Force Barrier does the same thing with physical damage - and many opponents use blades. Need it? No. But do you need 5 different offensice force powers? No.

But take what seems fun, the only 'must have' power my book is Master Speed, it gives you two extra attacks per round.

There is Light Armor that doesn't restrict the use of Force Powers, I don't know about medium / heavy armor.

I did a playthrough as a dual-wielding blaster pistol user in heavy armour once. It was pretty boring and felt like playing Space Siege.

To the game's credit, though, at least pistols/rifles builds are equal to melee builds. In KOTOR 1, ranged weapons are pathetic.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I did a playthrough as a dual-wielding blaster pistol user in heavy armour once. It was pretty boring and felt like playing Space Siege.

To the game's credit, though, at least pistols/rifles builds are equal to melee builds. In KOTOR 1, ranged weapons are pathetic.

Exactly.

Really, the game was designed for you to play with lightsabers and force powers. It's almost as if they purposedly designed blasters to be lame and downright awkward to use.

They're only there for your companions to provide supporting fire...

Edited by Togruta

Everyone plays it differently I guess.

Finesse, only take it when your dexterity is higher then your strength and if you're using a doublebladed saber I'd recommend going strength - you get a rather large strength related damage bonus with those.

Your choice of fighting feats depends a bit on weapon choice. Power Attack is usually meh, for critical strike you do not want a double bladed - which has a smaller chance to get a critical. Flurry works with just about anything.

Fighting a room full of Dark Jedi isn't hard with saber oriented build - but AoE spells are fun nevertheless. The prospect leads me to point out Force Immunity - nothing more annoying then getting stunned in a room full of Dark Jedi and Immunity helps.

Energy resistance is good, especially against lightsaber wielding opponents - 20 points damage reduction on every hit is quite substantial - and less damage taken is less time spend healing. It's also - I think - one of the few that can be cast in armor. Force Barrier does the same thing with physical damage - and many opponents use blades. Need it? No. But do you need 5 different offensice force powers? No.

But take what seems fun, the only 'must have' power my book is Master Speed, it gives you two extra attacks per round.

There is Light Armor that doesn't restrict the use of Force Powers, I don't know about medium / heavy armor.

I downloaded the save file editor so incase I make a bad choice in my build I can switch a feat/power for another one.

I switched Improved energy resistance and the normal one for Force Deflection and Force Whirlwind. I read that energy resistance helps remove damage from Lightsabers? Should I possibly switch back?

Edited by AsILayDying

Indeed, it reduces lightsabe damage - and blaster damage. There aren't many lightsaber wielding opponents, but the few that you do encounter are the more serious apponents in the game. Keep in mind that even if it's just 20 per hit, (a) you may get hit often and (b) 20 DR will make most blasters useless against you.

I think you get Force Deflect for free, later on.

I wouldn't worry too much, you get so many levels, so many powers and feats that you can afford to experiment or 'waste' a few.

All armor restricts Force powers except the various Zeison Sha and Jal Shay armors, the stronger of which (Zeison Sha Warrior and Jal Shay Mentor) are hard to find without cheating (or they always have been for me anyway).

If you're set on blasters and the like there are two feat trees, Targeting and Precise Shot, which you should go for. Targeting adds to-hit bonuses at each level, though there's eight levels and I vaguely remember only Scouts can get them; Precise Shot is open for everyone, adds increasing damage bonuses with each level as well as deflection penalties.

As for which to use, it's dual pistols all the way; you get two attacks without having to use Rapid Shot, two more upgrade slots to work with, and a properly tweaked pistol can surpass all but the strongest rifles (and when you get into the math, dual pistols get more attacks so you deal more damage anyway). Go for the Zabrak Heavy Pistol and the Mandalorian Disintegrator, which aren't as hard to find as other things; individual upgrades are a matter of taste, and which bonuses and penalties appeal to you more, though with high-level feats the penalties afforded by the upgrades really don't matter much.

Then, of course, Power Blast, Rapid Shot and Sniper Shot. There's all sorts of math as to which is better, but if you ask me it doesn't matter after a certain point; go with what you like.

EDIT: Nearly forgot; there's Close Combat feats which reduce the bonuses your opponent gets if they close into melee range when you're using blasters, and gives you an extra bit of to-hit. Those could be helpful.

Edited by Karl the Unfettered

It all depends on the type of game you want to play. I played a watchman girl with 10 STR but 32 DEX, nevermind force jump, dualwielding hyper upgraded sabers with master flurry and master speed and sneak attack, I was curbstomping pretty much anything when my sneak attacks got strong enough. In my experience, Attributes are key to owning everyone, if they are run of the mill all of your attacks will work but if one is leveled up or boosted past the level that baddies can get themselves, then you have yourself a 1-round k.o.

In any case, guns are overrated. You can use them, but you're better off with just the swords. And You'll get much further as a jedi guardian if you upgrade all your melee combat feats and reduce you attack penalties than if you try to balance both. Defensive force powers make it unneccessary to level up your charisma and wisdom, but you still need that crowd control, and more specifically, the AoE damage factor. I had force scream, though it was too weak in the end, and by Onderon I never used it since I could deal the same damage with each saber blow, and I had five saber blows.

And yes. You MUST have master speed.

Oh yeah. You should go with dual wielding, not a double edge sword, because you get double the upgrading slots

Edited by aradjha

• 2 weeks later...

Must get powers are:

Affect Mind/Dominate Mind: It can really be fun and not to mention funny. Just Force Persuade the thugs on Nar Shaddaa by that central pit to jump in. It's hilarious.

Storm: It may take until level 18 to have storm, but storm has saved my sorry ass more than a few times.

Master Heal: Get it when you can, it can help in your conservation of medpacs and if your a light jedi it is relatively cheap on your force points.

Wave: A lot like storm, use it on a group of enemies and unless they reflex save you can wreak chaos.

Insanity/Stasis Field: Both of them are much like Wave but although they dont damage, the stun effect lasts longer. I'd suggest having both, as both can make up for the weaknesses in the other.

Master Speed: I really rarely use speed, but it's not about being able to run at a million miles an hour, you'll gain 2 extra attacks which is extremely handy on bosses.

deicideLogo5.jpg

Force Wave will definitely work with heavy armour, but Storm and the lightning powers won't, and neither will most of the buff powers. I think the heal powers do, but regardless, your FP choice is severely restricted by wearing any armour. Those powers which are affected will, I think, have "restricted by armor" in their descriptions.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

• 1 month later...

If you're going the Guardian / Weapons master route, it makes little sense to specialize both in ranged *and* melee weapons. Guardians get force jump so you can quickly get to your foes and hack them with your lightsaber.

Example video:

. Edited by Thinkshooter