GameBanshee preview and interview

James Trujillo: maybe I'm just coming off of being overly impressed with Dungeon Siege III and their ridiculously fun combat. #previewincoming

Ok, that sounds so good to me. I have this enormous craving for a new Gothic game (Risen 2 is finally rearing its lovely, lovely head), but any game with "ridiculously fun combat" is on my radar.

When is this coming out?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I dont think it makes sense at all, considering that in the same console we can have multiple profiles logged at the same time. In Sacred 2 we could use our own characters even in local co-op.

It was a bad design decision. Everyone that loves co-op and played other co-op games (previous installments of DS included) knows that.

I play co-op games since ca. 1995 too. And I don't agree. It makes sense in how it works. The only thing that worries me is how good the classes are balanced to make the system worthwhile. (Which is actually my main complaint about too many co-op games)

Also there is really no difference if you can reskill your charachter to using your own since the classes are predefined charachters.

And again, this only counts for local. Online with strangers the system wouldn't work.

I know, friend. It works. I know it will work, but I dont think that was the best decision. It could be better.

To quote myself only a few hours ago... there is NO credible info that says local co-op chars don't earn XP. :)

Love how effective some random rumours can be..

No. XP is earned equally... what I wanted to say is that you can

Let me clarify things. This is what co-optimus said, but they also said they are not so sure about it:

Okay, okay, here's the scoop on the co-op. Dungeon Siege 3 may revolutionize the way we think of co-op in hack 'n slash RPGs. Whether it's for the betterment of gaming remains to be determined. In the first break out session I watched as two developers played through a cave level as Lucas and Anjali. They were only showing local co-op. One dev played as Lucas while the other jumped in and out of the game as Anjali. He said that he could choose any of the three characters, even if the host player had not unlocked them yet. He could not choose another Lucas, so there would be no clones running around. Two players can play locally on a shared screen. But what about experience, story progression, and loot? How, exactly, does local co-op work?

Well, great news, casual co-op gamers! You can jump into Dungeon Siege 3 at any point in time and not have to worry about being under- or overpowered! You will be the same level as the host player. The host player will have maintained the character you have chosen, being that the host has had that character as an AI controlled companion since they have met them in the game. If you pick a character that the host has not unlocked yet, you will instantly be leveled up to the host's character level. You will then distribute skill points accordingly. And don't fall asleep during the conversation portions of the game, you will have a role to play there, as well.

Here's the rub. Bad news, hardcore gamers! it looks like co-op will only benefit the host player. Any and all experience, loot, and story progress stays with the host player. You will take nothing but sweet memories back to your own game. You will not be jumping into your buddy's game with an uber-powered character of your own design. And if you are the host player, you better hope that whoever jumps in isn't a complete fool, because they'll be leveling up your companion characters, and you're stuck with them after your guest leaves.

EDIT: http://twitter.com/#!/JamesATrujillo

James Trujillo: Can't say I'm too impressed with the #DragonAge2 demo so far. I think the combat is throwing me for a loop.

James Trujillo: maybe I'm just coming off of being overly impressed with Dungeon Siege III and their ridiculously fun combat. #previewincoming

This sounds awesome. Now I just need to figure out whether I should buy this on PC or the 360. I guess you can use the 360 controller on pc as well?

Hate the living, love the dead.

EDIT: http://twitter.com/#!/JamesATrujillo

James Trujillo: Can't say I'm too impressed with the #DragonAge2 demo so far. I think the combat is throwing me for a loop.

This sounds awesome. Now I just need to figure out whether I should buy this on PC or the 360. I guess you can use the 360 controller on pc as well?

Yeah, 360 controller is supported on the PC. Not to mention two 360 controllers as well. :blink:

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

Let me clarify things. This is what co-optimus said, but they also said they are not so sure about it:

Thanks for the quote rafoca. Yes, they're not sure about it - and on these forums devs have said that we shouldn't believe everything he hear abuot co-op until they clarify it sometime (when they can).

My best bet is that there would be two modes of co-op; first is pretty much a "LAN-ish" co-op where it's really the host's game, it stays on the hosts's computer, and other people can jump in and play at whatever level. So you know, it's really good if you're just over to a friend's place, he's halfway through the game, and you want to jump in and play a little bit. In other games you'd have to start a whole new game together, then save it, then probably abandon it. But then I'm also confident there'd be another, 'online-ish' co-op where it works normally (it's tied to character not game, you have your own character with its own loot, xp, etc).

Of course, all that is just guessing, we will see. :blink:

Ok, that sounds so good to me. I have this enormous craving for a new Gothic game (Risen 2 is finally rearing its lovely, lovely head), but any game with "ridiculously fun combat" is on my radar.

When is this coming out?

May 27.

Thanks for the quote rafoca. Yes, they're not sure about it - and on these forums devs have said that we shouldn't believe everything he hear abuot co-op until they clarify it sometime (when they can).

My best bet is that there would be two modes of co-op; first is pretty much a "LAN-ish" co-op where it's really the host's game, it stays on the hosts's computer, and other people can jump in and play at whatever level. So you know, it's really good if you're just over to a friend's place, he's halfway through the game, and you want to jump in and play a little bit. In other games you'd have to start a whole new game together, then save it, then probably abandon it. But then I'm also confident there'd be another, 'online-ish' co-op where it works normally (it's tied to character not game, you have your own character with its own loot, xp, etc).

Of course, all that is just guessing, we will see. :lol:

I would have to agree with this... So many games allow people to use their own characters, it wouldn't make sense to not have a multiplayer mode that allows this... Especially in an RPG. I'll be looking forward to seeing all the different multiplayer modes when they are announced. =)

Every time I look at Onyx I just love the lighting, this is going to be a far cry from KOTOR2 or NWN2 days.

Pretty lowish textures for characters, but that's to be expected since you're slicing dozens of them. Interesting to see you still get details like arrows on the ground after being fired.

On the contrary, I found its in the right direction. About Alpha Protocol, I felt they were putting action game factors in RPG context while now it seems they are putting RPG factors in action game context. Will DSIII have fewer RPG factors, then? I don't think so...RPG is innately flexible but you may have different opinion if you don't know various rule sets. I have seen quite many people find it tough to adjust themselves to new rule sets. Its ok for players but, if game masters are like that... ;) I've gotten an impression that Obsidian may have found there are still more room for their originality than they thought even in contemporary game development.

I've played plenty of RPG's with their various rulesets and some variations between the sequels NWN->NWN2, DS1->DS2 etc. The problem here is that it seems to be elements of DS lore imported onto a whole new game. The more I read the less like DS it's sounding. If it was marketed as something other than DS3 then there wouldn't be so much of an issue. It'd be a bit like C&C Renegade (That's the C&C FPS right?). Set in the same universe (sort of) but totally different. The problem here is people are going cool it's DS looking at the product and going hang on this isn't DS at all. It's more like TQ or Mass Effect or something. No magic, no classes, no character customisation, no (purportedly) multiplayer outside the limits of Co-Op ... The graphics are sweet (assuming I can run them) but the gameplay is skewed and the depth nerfed. Okay DS was never a heavy RPG but it was a massive world with lots of magics options and this is well sounding more and more like a small world practically without any magic at all. </whinge>

Oh just a thought, what do you mean action game? Is that a console genre or something?

I wonder how big the DS fanbase is now. I tried DS1, got assaulted by boring generic rubbish and forgot about the series, but heck, just the fact that they're using the franchise here must show the series sold decently.

I've played plenty of RPG's with their various rulesets and some variations between the sequels NWN->NWN2, DS1->DS2 etc.

That's pretty limited list in my book.

No magic, no classes, no character customisation

According to what I read so far, characters are customizable in terms of their functional roles but they are tagged with given backgrounds...and no magic ??? Does no mana necessarily mean no magic? D&D doesn't have SP or mana but have magic, for example, if I have to point this out at all. If you replace the resting time of D&D with the cool-down timer in modern RTS/RPGs, you will get the system. It's just adjusted to fast-paced action RPG. Also, magic and magic-like abilities seem to have been unified into the same system, which may have caused confusion to you.

Communication doesn't seem to go well either with me or, probably, the designers. Reading info here doesn't seem to be so helpful to you. You may need to play the actual game in a way or another...such as visiting demos or using rental services.

Of course, all that is just guessing, we will see. :p

Well... if that