GameBanshee preview and interview

1. Character customization is not class customization. Yes you can upgrade various abilities, and yes everything can be maxed out. That is not customization. All 4 characters at max abilities and levels will have exactly the same abilities as everyone else who maxed out their characters. That is not customization.

2. This is an action based game that is supposed to have an in depth story. Hack and Slack games are 20 or so hours long, but usually have re-runs at higher difficulties for replay value. True RPGs are 40+ hours. This is a hack-n-slash RPG hybrid and only 15-20 hours.

I don't want to get involved in the argument, but I just wanted to bring up a couple of points on these specifically:

1. You can not purchase every Proficiency or Talent. By the time you reach max level you'll only be able to buy about 1/2 the talents and 1/3 the proficiencies. You'll have to try out the other combinations on future playthroughs. That also excludes the customization you get based on the loot you pick up, and there are a *lot* of different stats you can find on gear. I feel pretty strongly that our level of customization meets or exceeds other games in the genre.
  2. I would say that 15-20 hours is a conservative estimate. We have had developers (who know the game!) take longer than that to complete the game. Again, time estimates are just that, estimates. I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

According to co-optimus, local co-op will be just like we feared: you dont use your own character.. instead, you use the hosts characters, and wont take any loot or experience with you.

Lame. very lame for a co-op game

I don't know what "co-optimus" is, but this is again speculation with no basis in confirmed fact. You shouldn't take anything about the co-op / xp issue as having any credibility at the moment, because there's no credible information out there.

1. Character customization is not class customization. Yes you can upgrade various abilities, and yes everything can be maxed out. That is not customization. All 4 characters at max abilities and levels will have exactly the same abilities as everyone else who maxed out their characters. That is not customization.

2. This is an action based game that is supposed to have an in depth story. Hack and Slack games are 20 or so hours long, but usually have re-runs at higher difficulties for replay value. True RPGs are 40+ hours. This is a hack-n-slash RPG hybrid and only 15-20 hours.

I don't want to get involved in the argument, but I just wanted to bring up a couple of points on these specifically:

1. You can not purchase every Proficiency or Talent. By the time you reach max level you'll only be able to buy about 1/2 the talents and 1/3 the proficiencies. You'll have to try out the other combinations on future playthroughs. That also excludes the customization you get based on the loot you pick up, and there are a *lot* of different stats you can find on gear. I feel pretty strongly that our level of customization meets or exceeds other games in the genre.
  2. I would say that 15-20 hours is a conservative estimate. We have had developers (who know the game!) take longer than that to complete the game. Again, time estimates are just that, estimates. I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

Ok from what I understood there are 9 abilities per character. Are those the talents you are referring to? I think some of the misunderstanding is from the terminology.

From my knowledge there are 9 abilities that each class has, each having 2 trees of 5 proficiency points.

I gathered that we are able to get all 9 abilities, and spend 30 points (one per each level) on the proficiency points.

What my quote should have read is, You can max all your abilities (have all 9). And that all characters will have all of those 9 abilities.

"Eventually, you'll have access to 9 abilities - three for each stance, including defense - and each Ability comes with a pair of proficiencies that refine it."

Am I wrong to assume we will be able to have all (max) abilities?

Ok from what I understood there are 9 abilities per character. Are those the talents you are referring to? I think some of the misunderstanding is from the terminology.

From my knowledge there are 9 abilities that each class has, each having 2 trees of 5 proficiency points.

I gathered that we are able to get all 9 abilities, and spend 30 points (one per each level) on the proficiency points.

What my quote should have read is, You can max all your abilities (have all 9). And that all characters will have all of those 9 abilities.

"Eventually, you'll have access to 9 abilities - three for each stance, including defense - and each Ability comes with a pair of proficiencies that refine it."

Think of it this way:

• An Ability is something your character can "do" and is directly mapped to a button. You get 9 abilities and will unlock all of them over the course of the game, though you will choose the order you buy them in.
  • A Proficiency is a buff to an Ability. Sometimes proficiencies change the fundamental usage of an ability - for instance, Anjali's Aura of Immolation can be a heavy damage AoE or a very low damage, heavy healing AoE buff depending on how you spend proficiency points. Think of these as customizing abilities.
  • Each ability has two different proficiencies. You can put multiple ranks into any proficiency, but you can spend a maximum of 5 points total, split however you want, on a single ability. So you can buy 5 in the first, 0 in the second, half and half, or all in the second - whatever you want - but you can't max out both proficiencies for any one ability.
  • In addition to only being able to spend 5 points on any one ability, you only get 30 Proficiency points total. So - assuming you spend your points maxing out abilities and don't spread them around - you can only max out 6 abilities on any given playthrough. You can also choose to spread your points around, which is certainly a viable strategy depending on the abilities and character build you're making.
  • In addition to all of this, there are also 10 talents for each character, and each one of those has 5 ranks. You only get 30 points to spend, so you have to make choices as to what you want and don't want, based on your play style.

Think of it this way:

• An Ability is something your character can "do" and is directly mapped to a button. You get 9 abilities and will unlock all of them over the course of the game, though you will choose the order you buy them in.
  • A Proficiency is a buff to an Ability. Sometimes proficiencies change the fundamental usage of an ability - for instance, Anjali's Aura of Immolation can be a heavy damage AoE or a very low damage, heavy healing AoE buff depending on how you spend proficiency points. Think of these as customizing abilities.
  • Each ability has two different proficiencies. You can put multiple ranks into any proficiency, but you can spend a maximum of 5 points total, split however you want, on a single ability. So you can buy 5 in the first, 0 in the second, half and half, or all in the second - whatever you want - but you can't max out both proficiencies for any one ability.
  • In addition to only being able to spend 5 points on any one ability, you only get 30 Proficiency points total. So - assuming you spend your points maxing out abilities and don't spread them around - you can only max out 6 abilities on any given playthrough. You can also choose to spread your points around, which is certainly a viable strategy depending on the abilities and character build you're making.
  • In addition to all of this, there are also 10 talents for each character, and each one of those has 5 ranks. You only get 30 points to spend, so you have to make choices as to what you want and don't want, based on your play style.

Thanks for the info Nathaniel. This sounds awesome! I hate games that allow you to unlock everything in one playthrough and don't really allow you to specialize. (i'm looking at you Fable). This way we can build different characters on multiple playthroughs and they will play verry different from one another. I like it.

Think of it this way:

Can you go more in depth to what exactly these Talents are?

Ok correct me if I'm wrong on this.

When you level do you get 1 proficiency point, and 1 talent point?

So the skill trees would look like this

--proficiency 1--- level 1 - level 2-- level 3 -- level 4 --- level 5

Abiliity 1 ----

--proficiency 2--- level 2 - level 2-- level 3 -- level 4 --- level 5

Then you have

Talent 1 - rank - 1 -- rank 2--- rank 3-- rank 4 -- rank 5

Also, when you say "on any given playthrough"

Do you mean we will be able to do multiple playthroughs on the same character?

When you level do you get 1 proficiency point, and 1 talent point?

Every level, you get 1 Proficiency point, and 1 Talent point. On some levels, you also get an Ability Point. You use these to buy Proficiencies, Talents and Abilities respectively.

Each ability has 2 proficiencies associated with it, and each proficiency has 5 ranks, so it sounds like you've got that correct. Again, remember you can only spend 5 points *between* the two, so you can't max out both.

There are 10 talents, and they are general passive improvements to your character - not linked to specific abilities. Each of these also has 5 ranks.

And another preview. This time from Siliconera. Its worth a read.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/22/conqu...ge-iiis-heroes/

Robots?

Parts of the Dungeon Siege world is Steampunk. And it has been some years since the last installment.

Mmm hmm... Dungeon Siege had goblins with robots in it too. I'm actually pretty glad to hear that they are re-introducing them in the third game. Hopefully we will see the Droog also. =)

I need to read the previews in depth but my glance over has me seriously concerned. It looks like no magic spells or mana. Given I play mage characters this is a major downer for me. Yes Angel can switch between spear melee and fire abilities but unlocked abilities are vastly different to a spell list. DS2 nerfed the DS1 spell listing DS3 looks to have done away with it completely. Plus instead of mana there's simply a power bar, something akin to the DS2 special powers option. When maxed out a power ability can be used but ... Okay I play TQ a bit and that doesn't have real spells either but this is supposed to be Dungeon Siege with its 101 ways of freezing, frying, shocking, poisoning, strangling, or simply draining life from foes. So far it simply looks like a matter of hitting the CONSOLE button! I'm not after a console slice and dice.

On the contrary, I found its in the right direction. About Alpha Protocol, I felt they were putting action game factors in RPG context while now it seems they are putting RPG factors in action game context. Will DSIII have fewer RPG factors, then? I don't think so...RPG is innately flexible but you may have different opinion if you don't know various rule sets. I have seen quite many people find it tough to adjust themselves to new rule sets. Its ok for players but, if game masters are like that... :shrugz: I've gotten an impression that Obsidian may have found there are still more room for their originality than they thought even in contemporary game development.

According to co-optimus, local co-op will be just like we feared: you dont use your own character.. instead, you use the hosts characters, and wont take any loot or experience with you.

Lame. very lame for a co-op game

Still only counts for local co-op and this is only half the story.

Aside from having way more influence over the game than just beeing "a simple henchman" the level is adjusted and you can skill the charachter entirly to your liking (which also kinda makes up for not beeing able to use your own). Also you probably can use your own charachter if I understand the preview correctly.

Which makes sense for local co-op. It still provides challenge and you are going to have multiple sessions with the same guys anyway.

Online however it would be a cluster****. I agree.

I dont think it makes sense at all, considering that in the same console we can have multiple profiles logged at the same time. In Sacred 2 we could use our own characters even in local co-op.

It was a bad design decision. Everyone that loves co-op and played other co-op games (previous installments of DS included) knows that.

I dont think it makes sense at all, considering that in the same console we can have multiple profiles logged at the same time. In Sacred 2 we could use our own characters even in local co-op.

It was a bad design decision. Everyone that loves co-op and played other co-op games (previous installments of DS included) knows that.

I play co-op games since ca. 1995 too. And I don't agree. It makes sense in how it works. The only thing that worries me is how good the classes are balanced to make the system worthwhile. (Which is actually my main complaint about too many co-op games)

Also there is really no difference if you can reskill your charachter to using your own since the classes are predefined charachters.

And again, this only counts for local. Online with strangers the system wouldn't work.

Edited by C2B

To quote myself only a few hours ago... there is NO credible info that says local co-op chars don't earn XP. :)

Love how effective some random rumours can be..

DSIII facebook photos: The Great Obsidian Office Tour

182749_194708280554089_145166828841568_615500_5887445_n.jpg

PR and Rich Taylor preparing to discuss things with media that can't be talked about... (!) yet.

183222_194708197220764_145166828841568_615497_3632351_n.jpg

Nathan shows off the RPG goodness of Dungeon Siege III in a break-out session with media.

182779_194590867232497_145166828841568_614533_3343970_n.jpg

Talking some art in a break-out session. Nice! It's kind of like a new screenshot... but it's NOT, folks!

180006_194590813899169_145166828841568_614531_530652_n.jpg

Ah... delicious hands-on time underway!

EDIT: http://twitter.com/#!/JamesATrujillo

James Trujillo: Can't say I'm too impressed with the #DragonAge2 demo so far. I think the combat is throwing me for a loop.

James Trujillo: maybe I'm just coming off of being overly impressed with Dungeon Siege III and their ridiculously fun combat. #previewincoming

Edited by funcroc