GameBanshee preview and interview

I must admit, I'm puzzled as to what the design goals behind that choice were. Granted, this seems like a story-driven action RPG but.. I dunno, it kinda feels cobbled together design-wise. Let's hope it works out well in the end.

Eh, locally it makes more sense and seems fun. Having this much control in co-op over the game can support for some interesting interaction outside of the game.

"Hey dude, are you gimping that charachter?"

"Uhhhhhhhhhhh"

*Punches fly*

Online however. Well, we'll see.

This game is really looking like it should be in an arcade and not on PC or consoles.

What and why?

I see this game more relating to Gauntlet or the old X-men arcade game in terms of local co-op. The drop in drop out, is just the same as putting another quarter in the machine and picking a character that hasn't been picked yet.

There are no in game incentives to play local co-op other than having another person there, just like an arcade game. There are only set classes, just like an arcade game.

The lack of game time reminds me of a souped up arcade game. It has a mere 15-20 hours expected game play. You could rent this game, beat it, and still not have late fees.

This game seems like a dumbed down version of what the previous Dungeon Sieges have been. Or in other words, an arcade version. I just get this feeling that they wanted to see what the Onyx engine could do, so this is more like a "test game" than a real effort to please the fans of the series.

This game is really looking like it should be in an arcade and not on PC or consoles.

What and why?

I see this game more relating to Gauntlet or the old X-men arcade game in terms of local co-op. The drop in drop out, is just the same as putting another quarter in the machine and picking a character that hasn't been picked yet.

There are no in game incentives to play local co-op other than having another person there, just like an arcade game. There are only set classes, just like an arcade game.

The lack of game time reminds me of a souped up arcade game. It has a mere 15-20 hours expected game play. You could rent this game, beat it, and still not have late fees.

This game seems like a dumbed down version of what the previous Dungeon Sieges have been. Or in other words, an arcade version. I just get this feeling that they wanted to see what the Onyx engine could do, so this is more like a "test game" than a real effort to please the fans of the series.

Uhhh, no?

1. Read the co-op article again. You have way more influence and you can skill/reskill your charachter. (Which your co-op host has to live with) You manage your and his inventory and you have influence in dialouge. The only difference is that you can't take it over in your game. Furthermore local co-op is there to have fun with friends, I thought? (Where it shouldn't matter that much) Or do you play local with strangers?

2. 15-20 hours is still plenty. The previous games weren't much longer. The diablo games are around the same if you rush. Furthermore there is C&C.

3. It's a completly different, way more streamlined system I agree but on the other hand they expanded in other areas. (Mainly narrative)

Edited by C2B

I actually thought these comments in particular interesting

In addition to straight-up combat, each character unlocks Abilities as they level up. Eventually, you'll have access to 9 abilities - three for each stance, including defense - and each Ability comes with a pair of proficiencies that refine it. Anjali might gain the Ability to create a circle of fire on the ground, then have the option to make that fire do extra damage to enemies or heal comrades who step into it, depending on the Proficiency you choose. When you level up, you receive a Proficiency Point; each Ability can eventually be modified with five points. You can dump all five points into a single proficiency, or mix and match as you see fit. You'll also receive a Talent point, which allows you to upgrade a passive ability that basically acts like a buff. Talents can also be modified with up to five points, but choose wisely - you just get one Talent Point and one Proficiency Point per level, and with only 30 levels, you won't be able to max out everything you unlock.
One area in which Dungeon Siege 3 differs from its brethren is its complete avoidance of potions. Each character comes with a health ability already unlocked, and enemies will drop Health and Will (the game's version of mana) orbs that you can use to replenish your meters, but don't expect to go into the boss fight with a pharmacy's worth of healing items jangling around in your pack. It's not quite as daunting as it sounds. So long as your Will meter is full, you can use your Healing move; of course, you have to engage in combat to refill your meter, so some prudence is required. Completing Dungeon Siege 3 on the hardest difficulty will certainly earn you the respect of your peers -to say nothing of the developers themselves. (Pro tip: If you're playing on the highest difficulty, you will need to do all the side quests to be strong enough to survive.)

What and why?

Uhhh, no?

1. Read the co-op article again. You have way more influence and you can skill/reskill your charachter. (Which your co-op host has to live with) You manage your and his inventory and you have influence in dialouge. The only difference is that you can't take it over in your game. Furthermore local co-op is there to have fun with friends, I thought? (Where it shouldn't matter that much) Or do you play local with strangers?

2. 15-20 hours is still plenty. The previous games weren't much longer. The diablo games are around the same if you rush. Furthermore there is C&C.

3. It's a completly different, way more streamlined system I agree but on the other hand they expanded in other areas. (Mainly narrative)

I was referring it to actual game play as being arcade like.

You could manage your inventory and character skills with an arcade machine, if they had an inventory button.

15-20 hours of game play in hack-n-slash is short. This game is attempting to throw in a story too, so it's going to be very short. If they want a game with a legit story, it needs to be something near 40 hours.

All I am saying is right now, I'm upset because I see so much potential and I think I'm going to be disappointed with a couple things.

1. Length of game

2. Lack of character customization

3. Lack of being able to play my character with another friends character in off-line mode.

4. Lack of the number of characters / classes

5. The lack of depth the story may have, just due to the shortness

You could manage your inventory and character skills with an arcade machine, if they had an inventory button.

15-20 hours of game play in hack-n-slash is short. This game is attempting to throw in a story too, so it's going to be very short. If they want a game with a legit story, it needs to be something near 40 hours.

All I am saying is right now, I'm upset because I see so much potential and I think I'm going to be disappointed with a couple things.

1. Length of game

3. Lack of being able to play my character with another friends character in off-line mode.

1. Nope, there is charachter customization. Which you would realize if you read the previews "right". (Which by I mean focus on the actual facts) You can't even build up an ultimate charachter which actually positivly surprised me.

2. Most games story's "depth" doesn't need a 40 hours games. Especially because 90% of this typical "40 hour story" consists of overly driven cutscenes that are as deep as a simple flyer. Furthermore, especially in regards to writing. Quantity has nothing to do with Quality.

Seriously, read the previews again. And not in a mindset of "Everythings dumbed down so I hate things".

Edited by C2B

1. Length of game

1. Nope, there is charachter customization. Which you would realize if you read the previews "right". (Which by I mean focus on the actual facts) You can't even build up an ultimate charachter which actually positivly surprised me.

2. Most games story's "depth" doesn't need a 40 hours games. Especially because 90% of this typical "40 hour story" consists of overly driven cutscenes that are as deep as a simple flyer. Furthermore, especially in regards to writing. Quantity has nothing to do with Quality.

Seriously, read the previews again. And not in a mindset of "Everythings dumbed down so I hate things".

I have read every single preview posted on this forum.

1. Character customization is not class customization. Yes you can upgrade various abilities, and yes everything can be maxed out. That is not customization. All 4 characters at max abilities and levels will have exactly the same abilities as everyone else who maxed out their characters. That is not customization.

2. This is an action based game that is supposed to have an in depth story. Hack and Slack games are 20 or so hours long, but usually have re-runs at higher difficulties for replay value. True RPGs are 40+ hours. This is a hack-n-slash RPG hybrid and only 15-20 hours.

Yes cat in the hat was a great story. Stories do not need to be long, but to make a compelling story that really draws you in, you have to have more length.

I am basing all my opinions on every game I have ever played, and all the information on this game as of right now.

I am not trying to be a hater. I am calling it as I see it.

I have read every single preview posted on this forum.

1. Character customization is not class customization. Yes you can upgrade various abilities, and yes everything can be maxed out. That is not customization. All 4 characters at max abilities and levels will have exactly the same abilities as everyone else who maxed out their characters. That is not customization.

2. This is an action based game that is supposed to have an in depth story. Hack and Slack games are 20 or so hours long, but usually have re-runs at higher difficulties for replay value. True RPGs are 40+ hours. This is a hack-n-slash RPG hybrid and only 15-20 hours.

Yes cat in the hat was a great story. Stories do not need to be long, but to make a compelling story that really draws you in, you have to have more length.

I am basing all my opinions on every game I have ever played, and all the information on this game as of right now.

I am not trying to be a hater. I am calling it as I see it.

Boy for reading every single preview you sure are missing the line where it says that you can't max out your charachter.

And no you don't have to have 40 hour length for a compelling story/writing.

Points of example (From Obsidian)

- Mask of the Betrayer (which is considerd Obsidians best written game)

- Dead Money

- Alpha Protocol

Edited by C2B

I am just really hoping they do their best to give this game some great stuff to do after the story is complete, I am fine with 15-20 hours if you can play it over and over again (like Diablo 2) but if it's just 15-20 and then there is nothing left to do, you might as well just rent it for a week beat it and take it back.

I am just really hoping they do their best to give this game some great stuff to do after the story is complete, I am fine with 15-20 hours if you can play it over and over again (like Diablo 2) but if it's just 15-20 and then there is nothing left to do, you might as well just rent it for a week beat it and take it back.

Nah, I don't think they will do that. I hope they deliever on C&C and apart from that have good endgame content. I posted a question regarding it in another thread

Edited by C2B

Fair enough if you think the game is too short, though I've played many "40 hour" games where the story was rubbish because it just kept dragging out. But you shouldn't make your decisions based on slight misunderstandings:

Don't those two contradict themselves, though? Think about it. If you can't max out everything that any one character can have, that means you have to make choices about where to spend your points. Which means even when you are fully levelled up, your character won't have the same stats/points as another player, because you've made different choices.

That's like saying all Amazons were the same in Diablo 2.

Are you referring to the oft-quoted, but definitely baseless, rumour that co-op buddies won't get XP? Because that was pretty much made up / misheard by one journo and then parroted by everyone in a global game of Chinese whispers. Until we hear otherwise, safe to assume that (3) is possible.

(Or do you just mean off-line co-op on a console? Because uh, that's definitely possible.)

According to co-optimus, local co-op will be just like we feared: you dont use your own character.. instead, you use the hosts characters, and wont take any loot or experience with you.

Lame. very lame for a co-op game

Still only counts for local co-op and this is only half the story.

Aside from having way more influence over the game than just beeing "a simple henchman" the level is adjusted and you can skill the charachter entirly to your liking (which also kinda makes up for not beeing able to use your own). Also you probably can use your own charachter if I understand the preview correctly.

Which makes sense for local co-op. It still provides challenge and you are going to have multiple sessions with the same guys anyway.

Online however it would be a cluster****. I agree.

Edited by C2B