Blocking\countering\parrying?

in most RPGs there is not a lot of need for the player's skill as a gamer. it's just "tap the attack button until everyone is dead and occasionally heal during the inevitable damage taking".

more action oriented games give the player the ability to avoid damage by either getting out of harms way or defending themselves with blocking. heavier action oriented games may give players an

extra reward for defending themselves with skill but letting them counter.

DS was always a hack and slash RPG with little care for players skill. DS3 seems more action oriented. so my question is -

will we be able to block in this game (on purpose. not auto block determined by the stats of the character)? and if we will, than is it possible in all stances?

also, if we CAN block, is the block protecting us from all directions or only from one side?

i think i've seen a blocking stance in one gameplay vid and only with the shield+sword. not sure if it was active blocking or auto blocking or just the way the hero stands when idle.

i would love some clarification.

i think that if combat is too simple and doesnt challenge you in a way that u feel u need to play better than it doesnt excite. and if u constantly doing a combat that doesnt excite than it becomes a chore. something u just want to get over with to get the loot instead of something u enjoy doing for the sake of simply doing it.

this is the case with assassins creed and fable 2 + 3, IMO - combat has no challenge nor depth and it loses it's means as entertainment. it becomes merely a means to an end instead of being the end.

know what i mean?

The game has active block - you need to hold down a trigger to block >_< Blocking is omni-directional, and your character even animates to intercept attacks coming from different directions, which looks pretty cool.

You can also dodge, which you do by moving the Left Stick while blocking. Dodging moves you around and takes longer than blocking, so it's a bit harder to counterattack after a dodge. But dodging gives you a brief moment of invulnerability.

The game has active block - you need to hold down a trigger to block :wacko: Blocking is omni-directional, and your character even animates to intercept attacks coming from different directions, which looks pretty cool.

You can also dodge, which you do by moving the Left Stick while blocking. Dodging moves you around and takes longer than blocking, so it's a bit harder to counterattack after a dodge. But dodging gives you a brief moment of invulnerability.

thanks a lot for the reply, mr. developer ;)

good news. but now it makes me ask more questions :p

1) can one block in all stances or only with the shield stance?

2) is there an advantage to blocking with a certain stance rather than with the other?

3) do enemies block?

4) if enemies block, how does the player get through the block?

5) when u block , are u immune to damage completely or are u just taking less damage from attacks?

6) if when u block u are immuned to damage completely from all directions than is that like an invulnerability button that only prevents you from moving around (then u roll)?

The game has active block - you need to hold down a trigger to block :) Blocking is omni-directional, and your character even animates to intercept attacks coming from different directions, which looks pretty cool.

thanks a lot for the reply, mr. developer :)

good news. but now it makes me ask more questions :)

2) is there an advantage to blocking with a certain stance rather than with the other?

3) do enemies block?

5) when u block , are u immune to damage completely or are u just taking less damage from attacks?

6) if when u block u are immuned to damage completely from all directions than is that like an invulnerability button that only prevents you from moving around (then u roll)?

Selected answers :(

1) All stances.

2) Depends on your gear.

5) You take no damage, but incur a cost to your focus. When you block with no/insufficient focus, you begin to take some damage (but the amount is reduced vs. not blocking).

6) Nope. It's more tactical than that. There are some advantages to blocking, but it's not just full invulnerability.

The game has active block - you need to hold down a trigger to block :p Blocking is omni-directional, and your character even animates to intercept attacks coming from different directions, which looks pretty cool.

thanks a lot for the reply, mr. developer :)

good news. but now it makes me ask more questions :)

3) do enemies block?

Selected answers :shifty:

1) All stances.

2) Depends on your gear.

5) You take no damage, but incur a cost to your focus. When you block with no/insufficient focus, you begin to take some damage (but the amount is reduced vs. not blocking).

6) Nope. It's more tactical than that. There are some advantages to blocking, but it's not just full invulnerability.

How does the stick control translate to those on PC? Scroll left with the mouse perhaps?

What about characters other than Lucas the Guardian? The spear\flame wielding female ('angel'?) might be able to use the spear to block melee weapons but surely nothing else. What of the gun toting female? No blocking at all surely? What the fourth, as yet unrevealed, character whom I presume to be the mage 'class' in the game? Barring a staff she\he won't be able to be anything non-magical to block.

On a similar note, is it possible to block magic attacks or only melee\ranged combat? I mean a life drain spell such as leech life (DS1\DS2) isn't going to be stopped by a simple bit of metal in the way. I know DS2 included magic resistance to block those, and in fact you could face magic immune foes, which was really annoying as a mage character! As a mage player I'd be quite comfortable if you left the resistances out and limited blocking to material attacks only :)

Magic uber alles!