Let's play Drakensang: the River of Time

HoonDing

As the party returns to the Thalaria, a Dwarf stops them. Apparently there's trouble at the Dwarven delving... another sidequest beckons.

drakensang2011022719241.png

BRIDGEMAN: You there! Go up to the delving, quickly! Avarosh is in the mines and trouble's brewing up there.

URDIRIEL: What happened?

BRIDGEMAN: I don't know exactly. You helped us out before. Maybe the ghost came back?

Back at the delving, we meet another NPC from Drakensang 1: Prince Arom, son of Arombolosh, King of the Dwarves.

drakensang2011022719284.png

drakensang2011022719285.png

PRINCE AROM: I heard that you helped Avarosh. Do you have any idea what you've done? Ka baskan draxin!

URDIRIEL: Does it have anything to do with Norgamashzrom, by any chance?

PRINCE AROM: You know about Norgamashzrom? You know my father's law forbidding all from searching for the unholy delving?

URDIRIEL: Yes, I know your father's law. But I wanted to help the Dwarves who had been turned to stone.

PRINCE AROM: That does you honor! Now I need your help. We must stop Avarosh or something terrible will happen.

URDIRIEL: Fine, what do you have in mind?

PRINCE AROM: We must go into the delving together and stop Avarosh from going deeper. I will tell you more on the way. Let's go right now!

URDIRIEL: I will follow you, Prince Arom.

Back in the delving, the "Bosnickel" shows his face again.

drakensang2011030122183.png

BOSNICKEL: Heeheehee, oh no oh no... here I am again. Hear me, sweet prince!

URDIRIEL: You must be Bosnickel. He who guards this delving so wisely, keeping strangers from the hell iron.

BOSNICKEL: Yes, that is I. But what anguish! This heroic brute chased me off... I faiiiiled.

URDIRIEL: I'm sorry. I'd have helped you if you'd told me what you were planning.

BOSNICKEL: How was I to know who you are? If you told me why, what, who you are, I'd have told you who, what, why I'm here! Heehee, apology accepted. Here, have a flower! Heehee.

URDIRIEL: As your vanquisher, I command you: What must I do to stop Avarosh?

BOSNICKEL: My powers are at an end - now you must change the trend! Heeheehee...

URDIRIEL: Speak plainly and clearly, we're running out of time!

BOSNICKEL: As the vanquisher wishes! Starting report from the delving: After ejection of poor Leprechaun NOGO, Avarosh and his men have breached the delving again. They have opened the entrance to the shaft known as Norgamashzrom in the Dwarven tongue and are now in the passageways. They're following the call of the hell iron and their greed for said iron is evolving into evil and hatred for all that lives.

BOSNICKEL: With his last strength, NOGO managed to cast a powerful Leprechaun curse commanding all other creatures of the deep to attack the intruders. If you should decide to stop the Dwarves before they reach the mother lode, NOGO will cast a spell protecting you from the power of the hell iron. The magic should protect you from any of its harmful effects. Tell me when you wish to begin and receive the protection. End of report! But take care! If you leave the delving... oh my! Then is the protection... gone! disappeared... poof!

BOSNICKEL: Want to go deeper into the delving? You might want you protection.

URDIRIEL: Yes.

BOSNICKEL: So be it. You have the protection. Don't forget, you can't leave the delving until it's Dwarf free! It's been emotional. Toodles!

The stairs to the deeper parts of the delving are guarded by a lot of Dwarves armed with arbalests and barricaded behind trapped crates. Down the stairs, there even more Dwarves and traps.

drakensang2011030122271.png

drakensang2011030122391.png

drakensang2011030122422.png

Eventually the party makes it to the deepest part of the delving, where the entrance to Norgamashzrom is located. A confrontation with Avarosh follows.

drakensang2011030122593.png

GOLTOOTH AVAROSH: Prince Arom? You really do have a talent for turning up at the worst possible moment... And I should have got rid of you a long time ago. Drodda! I knew you were the type to stick your nose in where it's not wanted.

PRINCE AROM: Garoshem Avarosh grosho Gramtax! Lower your weapon and give up Norgamashzrom forever. If not, I shall force you to do so.

GOLDTOOTH AVAROSH: Give up? Hehe, you really don't know me. Finally, I have the miracle metal. Nobody can take it from me now. Now! Shoot them down, clan garoshim!

During the battle, Avarosh and his guards stay conveniently clustered together while they're shooting the party, giving Jaakon ample opportunity to try out his Fireball spell.

drakensang2011030123021.png

drakensang2011030123021.png

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

When Avarosh and his thugs lie dead, Prince Arom reveals what's really going on.

drakensang2011030123032.png

PRINCE AROM: What a battle! Avarosh and the other traitors have met their end. It's good that the monsters of the deep held them up for so long.

URDIRIEL: Is it not yet time to tell me more about the delving? I'm sure you know more than you have told me so far.

ARDO: It seemed that Avarosh knew you?

PRINCE AROM: You fought well. You deserve to learn the truth. Listen well! I was here once before, as a young Dwarf. I was accompanied by my friend Torlosh, a smith of Angrosh-given skill. We were driven by the craving for adventure and a certain amount of defiance for my father.

PRINCE AROM: We sought the secret of Norgamashzrom and had heard that a Dwarf by the name of Avarosh was looking for adventurers. He had found a few mineshafts that might lead there. We met Avarosh and made a deal with him. He would show us the entrance to Norgamashzrom. In return, we would recover a rare metal from the bottom of the delving for him. Anything else we found would belong to us...

URDIRIEL: I understand. Avarosh deceived you.

PRINCE AROM: ... He certainly did! We entered the delving. Then we saw them... the corpses of the other Dwarves. They had murdered each other. They must have been the first expedition... also sent by Avarosh. As we stood there and wondered why the Dwarves had killed each other, I started to hear a whispering in my head. The voice was very quiet at first... but as we went deeper it grew louder... and harsher.

PRINCE AROM: I realized that Torlosh heard it too when I saw his face. He was no longer my old friend... something had possessed him... he stared at me with hate-filled eyes...

URDIRIEL: The ore spoke to you, just as it did to Avarosh and his men. It is just as well the Leprechaun's spell is protecting us.

PRINCE AROM: Yes... we probably would have been at each other's throats. Just like Torlosh and me all those years ago. But I'll tell you about that later. Let us set off now, we must put an end to all this...

URDIRIEL: I don't think I quite understand what you mean. Arom? You want to...

PRINCE AROM: ... I want to get right to the bottom and end this. I'll do away with that hell iron once and for all.

URDIRIEL: How?

PRINCE AROM: I have some very special Hylailian fire. It burns with such a heat that even huge rocks melt. If I light it at the heart of the mountain, the entire delving will collapse in on itself.

URDIRIEL: I'm with you. Let's go.

PRINCE AROM: Scales and teeth! So be it.

The party moves on and enters Norgamashzrom proper... and eventually finds a destroyed elevator guarded by several rock goblins and a rock golem.

drakensang2011030123104.png

After all enemies are disposed of, Prince Arom reveals more.

drakensang2011030123134.png

PRINCE AROM: Do you see the remains of the elevator? That is where my friend Torlosh died... many years ago, through his own treachery.

URDIRIEL: Do you want to tell me about it now?

PRINCE AROM: Yes, I will. You have earned it. This passage leads to the heart of the delving. That's where the unholy metal is. It is alive and immeasurably evil. Legends say that it was brought into the world by the arch-demon Agrimoth himself.

PRINCE AROM: Torlosh and I fought there. I was able to withstand the call of the unholy metal, but Torlosh wanted to bring it to the surface. He wanted to use it to forge powerful weapons to use against our enemies... oh, such folly. When I told him that I would never allow it, he attacked me. He was full of rage and the whisperings of the metal seemed to make him stronger. We fought for almost two hours and... I couldn't kill him.

URDIRIEL: What? You were unable to defeat him?

PRINCE AROM: No, you don't understand... how could I kill... my best friend? I fled... and ran to the elevator... As it took me to the surface I saw Torlosh below, smashing at the machinery, his face filled with hate.. I managed to jump out just before the whole thing came crashing down and buried Torlosh.

URDIRIEL: What happened to Avarosh? And why did you not return?

PRINCE AROM: I left the delving full of despair and rage. With a couple of well-placed blows, I collapsed a couple of supports and blocked the entrance to Norgamashzrom. I went to Avarosh and vowed that I would punish him if he ever looked for the forbidden delving again. I told my father that Torlosh died a hero's death. I could not tell him the truth... to this day.

URDIRIEL: [Perception] Tell me Arom, where is Torlosh's body?

PRINCE AROM: Hmm... maybe the elevator did not kill him outright and he managed to crawl a little deeper into the delving. Hurry... I must know where his body lies.

Not much further on, the party reaches the heart of the delving... a nasty surprise awaits.

drakensang2011030123184.png

The horribly mutated Torlosh is still alive and needs to be killed.

drakensang2011030123190.png

drakensang2011030123191.png

drakensang2011030123210.png

After killing Torlosh, Arom sets the charges of Hylailian fire and the party hurries out of the delving. Mission accomplished.

drakensang2011030123234.png

A thankful Arom awards the party with his own axe, Anglagorum. A truly killer weapon in the hands of Forgrimm.

drakensang2011030123242.png

Returning to Van Haring at the Tollgate to turn in the pirates' silver emblems and gold, the party is introduced to someone new: Ulwina Neisbeck, another NPC from Drakensang 1.

drakensang2011030123284.png

drakensang2011030123284.png

ULWINA NEISBECK: Pleased to meet you. Angwart has told me a lot about you.

COMMANDANT VAN HARING: Yes... Madam Neisbeck is one of the most respected ladies in all Ferdok and urgently requires help. You seem to be the best for the job.

URDIRIEL: What is your request?

ULWINA NEISBECK: My poor brother has fallen into the hands of those villainous pirates. We can't afford the ransom those criminals are demanding. My family and I are desperate.

URDIRIEL: I want to deal directly with the pirates. Maybe they'll show some pity when I explain our situation. I heard you might be able to help me find the pirates.

ARDO: Fair Lady, I bow before your courage! But as a man of honor and a knight, I cannot allow you to put yourself in such danger! Allow me and my companions to free your brother!

ULWINA NEISBECK: Oh, this is too generous of you, Sir...?

ARDO: Ardo. Ardo of Boarstock!

ULWINA NEISBECK: Oh, so it's you... well, many thanks Sir Boarstock. I am moved by your chivalry. But I'd still rather try on my own. If you could just show me the way?

URDIRIEL: Yes, I can tell you the way to the pirate camp.

COMMANDANT VAN HARING: What? A lady like you, defenseless among that pack of ruffians? By my honor, I cannot permit this! I wish we had more men, then we'd finish that scum once and for all!

ULWINA NEISBECK: Yes, it is regrettable that we are forced to take such measures. But don't worry, I will take care. Could you tell me where to find their camp?

URDIRIEL: Speak with the captain of the Thalaria. He will show you the way.

ULWINA NEISBECK: Thank you, I will. Goodbye, Angwart. Adieu!

Ulwina Neisbeck leaves and as the party goes on their way, Commandant Van Haring calls them back.

drakensang2011030123301.png

COMMANDANT VAN HARING: Er, just a moment. I'm not very happy about the idea of this young lady being at the mercy of that pirate scum. And in my jurisdiction! Unfortunately I cannot spare any of my men. But someone should look for Madam Neisbeck at the pirate camp and make sure she's safe.

COMMANDANT VAN HARING: Do you think you could do it? I'd feel much happier. Well, think about it and err... good luck on your travels.

The party returns to Hammerberg and finds Ulwina Neisbeck in the Captain's Wheel, quarreling with Eilif Thunderfist.

drakensang2011030123324.png

drakensang2011030123325.png

EILIF THUNDERFIST: Neisbeck woman, be silent!

EILIF THUNDERFIST: You sent this reptile to me, Urdiriel Teardream?

URDIRIEL: She asked me to help to free her abducted brother.

ULWINA NEISBECK: Yes, the uncertain fate of my brother... Captain Thunderfist has been very uncooperative. Even though I've done my best to appeal to her common sense.

EILIF THUNDERFIST: Lightning take you! Do you ever stop talking, woman? Get out of my sight!

ULWINA NEISBECK: Tsk, and she calls herself a pirate leader! I won't waste any more of my time on you, Eilif Thunderfist. But pray to your holy whale that you never cross me again!

After Ulwina Neisbeck leaves, Eilif reveals to Urdiriel what's really going on.

EILIF THUNDERFIST: You can smell people like her a mile off, even upwind and even among liars, thieves and pirates!

ULWINA NEISBECK: What did she do that angered you so?

EILIF THUNDERFIST: Dead? Are you sure? She told me that she wanted to free him.

URDIRIEL: As sure as Soorman is dead. He must have wanted to pocket the ransom himself. Take a look in his hut in the southwest. Ulwina's brother should be freed!

EILIF THUNDERFIST: With pleasure. I also want to know what's going on.

Following Eilif's advice, the party heads to the hut and finds some of Soorman's remaining cronies. Killing them frees Ulwina Neisbeck's brother.

drakensang2011030123353.png

drakensang2011030123362.png

VITOLD NEISBECK: Are you another lackey of that nefarious Irontaste? Do the Gods plan my end?

URDIRIEL: My name is Urdiriel Teardream. Thunderfist sent me to release you. Captain Irontaste is dead.

VITOLD NEISBECK: Praise be to Tsa! Many of my companions have died at his hand. I feared to hear Golgari's wings myself. But my prayers were answered.

URDIRIEL: Another thing. Your sister got a ransom demand and traveled here personally...

VITOLD NEISBECK: What? Ulwina is here? I... I had already escaped two of her bounty hunters, but now I'm a prisoner here! Please, by the Gods, help me!

URDIRIEL: What do you suggest?

VITOLD NEISBECK: [He takes out a hidden item] When my father - may he rest in peace - handed the business over to us, he had Leonardo the Mechanicus create two music boxes.

VITOLD NEISBECK: But Ulwina doesn't like to share. She wants sole control. Give her my timepiece and tell her I'm dead. If the Gods wish it, I will escape.

URDIRIEL: How can you just leave half of your inheritance to that woman?

VITOLD NEISBECK: My life is worth more to me. I can only recommend that you stay away from her. She is completely unscrupulous... Thank you and farewell.

URDIRIEL: Here, take these 10 ducats. They should help you on your way.

VITOLD NEISBECK: I am fortunate indeed to have met such an honorable and generous savior. I thank you, Urdiriel Teardream, and I hope to repay this debt one day. May the Twelfgods be with you!

Now, the party can earn a fair amount of gold by tricking Ulwina Neisbeck.

drakensang2011030123414.png

ULWINA NEISBECK: Oh, you again. Listen, my patience is at an end. Anyone who gets rid of my brother once and for all will be richly rewarded, understood? The rest is up to you...

URDIRIEL: I found this by your brother's body. [Give Ulwina the music box]

ULWINA NEISBECK: Really ... yes, it must be true! I had my doubts about hiring you, but you have earned your reward. Here, I think this should be appropriate. And now, farewell.

Reporting back to Eilif Thunderfist then ends the quest.

drakensang2011030123424.png

NEXT: wrapping up Elven Woods & Hunting Preserve.

Back at the Elven woods, Urdiriel tells Alari Springborn about her sister Sanraya, currently living among the pirates in Hammberg.

drakensang2011030123481.png

ALARI SPRINGBORN: Sanya bha, feyiama. Did you find Sanraya?

URDIRIEL: Yes, she lives with the River Pirates and is happy there

ALARI SPRINGBORN: Like those Humans who were here? But doesn't she have to block out all that noise just to bear it, and then shout down the others just to be heard?

URDIRIEL: She gets by. She is fascinated by their stories and has had some adventures of her own.

ALARI SPRINGBORN: Oh, she can sing of it when she returns home one day! When she yearns for the light and finds her way back to us...

URDIRIEL: Time will tell.

However, the Elves now have another problem that needs solving.

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: Fate guides your steps! We welcome your return with joy, feyiama, for your help is needed again.

URDIRIEL: Not the ruins again?

ISALIEL WINGSTROKE: No, the lake forest to the north. The river from there carries impure water with a terrible stench. The creatures are sick and restless. We can use magic to purify the water, but the source remains a mystery. Our refined senses cannot bear the stench and in the distance a misty cloud obscures the lake.

URDIRIEL: It can't smell worse than Forgrimm. I'll take care of it.

In the northern forest, the party is attacked by a lot of animals, bears included, driven mad by the stench. Urdiriel renders them all docile with the Elvens pell "Meek you be". Due to the high level difference between the party and animals at this point, killing them is no longer worth it since they all give 0 experience.

drakensang2011030123533.png

drakensang2011030123535.png

The source of the stench appears to be the body of a Linnorm.

drakensang2011030123555.png

The problem can be solved by applying the Amoeba spores that Urdiriel bought from Crooked Otto a while back.

drakensang2011030123560.png

Upon returning to Isaliel, the party however is sent back... due to some unforseen consequences.

drakensang2011030123572.png

Feasting upon the body of the Linnorm made the Amoebas full-grown. After whacking them, the party finds the High Elven sword that Gwendala is looking for.

drakensang2011030123593.png

drakensang2011030200051.png

After returning the sword to Gwendala, the party is finished with the Elven woods.

The party then returns to the Hunting Preserve, where the way across the stone bridge has finally been cleared. The rest of the Orcs can now be purged.

drakensang2011030322091.png

Not far across the bridge is a camp with a lot of Orcs (and one Ogre). Quite a difficult fight, considering the party is heavily outnumbered and there are several Orc archers.

drakensang2011030322114.png

Jaakon's fireworks, however, are quite helpful.

drakensang2011030322164.png

A crevice in the rock face leads to a hidden valley where another Orc camp is located.

drakensang2011030322221.png

The last Orc camp has three Ogres and ten Orcs, but can be picked off one by one by carefully approaching the camp from the side.

drakensang2011030322302.png

drakensang2011030322332.png

drakensang2011030322335.png

With this camp cleared, the party is done with the Hunting Preserve.

The party returns to Nadoret to acquire/craft some heavy armour for Ardo and Forgrimm. At this point will be approached by Old Greyhair and have the opportunity to start the final part of the main quest. However, for now this will be ignored.

drakensang2011030322442.png

BEGGAR GREYHAIR: Something

Edited by virumor

It is now time for our party to pit themselves against the Water Dragon that Sanraya spoke of.

drakensang2011030323303.png

drakensang2011030323312.png

The Water Dragon pops up soon as the party arrives at its cave. It turns out to be more a plesiosaur than a dragon.

drakensang2011030323313.png

drakensang2011030323314.png

drakensang2011030323344.png

drakensang2011030323345.png

drakensang2011030323345.png

The dragon is very easy with all our party members having access to the best skills, weapons & equipment.

drakensang2011030323354.png

drakensang2011030323375.png

drakensang2011030323392.png

Once the dragon is slain, the party finds Sanraya's soul instrument among its considerable loot.

drakensang2011030323401.png

drakensang2011030323404.png

The party makes a quick return to Hammerberg to grant Sanraya her soul instrument back.

drakensang2011030323465.png

Upon death, the dragon also dropped an artifact that seems to be connected to the Temple of Efferd. It is time to return to Brother Emmeran for advice.

drakensang2011030323482.png

drakensang2011030323491.png

URDIRIEL: I have another strange fragment. It was guarded by a Water Dragon.

BROTHER EMMERAN: A Water Dragon... doubtless summoned by Efferd's anger to lay waste to the realm of the Riverfather. But show me the artifact. Hmm, let me see... it is similar to the other artifact you brought me. I'm sure it also belongs to the temple. I can feel the power of the Ocean God.

Now, our party is ready to tackle the Temple of Efferd.

drakensang2011030323494.png

drakensang2011030519040.png

The Temple of Efferd consists of 9 levels of tunnels infested with giant crabs and morfus.

After a lot of tedious combat, the party reaches a mosaic puzzle that needs to be solved to get past a dead end.

drakensang2011030519223.png

drakensang2011030519255.png

The cube looted from the Water Dragon's body is the final piece needed to complete the mosaic. Upon solving the puzzle, a bridge will materialize and the party can continue into the heart of the temple.

drakensang2011030519314.png

Descending winding stairs and killing more morfus guarding treasure chests, the party reaches the heart of the Temple of Efferd.

drakensang2011030519350.png

Upon entering the final chamber, a huge crablike monster will arise from the water and attack our party.

drakensang2011030519421.png

drakensang2011030519422.png

The fight with the Crab Beast is the toughest in the game, since the monster will periodically summon a lot of giant crabs and morfus to help.

drakensang2011030519460.png

drakensang2011030519460.png

drakensang2011030519501.png

drakensang2011030519523.png

When the Crab Beast is near death, it summons forth the waters of Efferd and renders our party unconscious.

drakensang2011030519535.png

drakensang2011030519540.png

However, a deus ex machina appears to save our party: Brother Emmeran.

drakensang2011030519541.png

drakensang2011030519541.png

BROTHER EMMERAN: Wait! I beg of you!

BROTHER EMMERAN: Look at me, Narog! Don't you recognize me?

CRAB BEAST: Da... Dar... Darog?! Is it really you?

BROTHER EMMERAN: Leave the darkness of this place and follow me to the eternal flame... my brother!

drakensang2011030519543.png

drakensang2011030519543.png

NAROG: Finally, you have found me. I have endured here in the darkness for an eternity...

drakensang2011030519544.png

NAROG: Alone with my rage and my despair. My hatred soaks every stone of this place...

NAROG: But I shall remain in the darkness no longer... it binds me no longer. I am free...

BROTHER EMMERAN: May you find peace now... my brother!

drakensang2011030519551.png

BROTHER EMMERAN: Thank you! I am deeper in your debt than I will ever be able to repay.

URDIRIEL: I don't understand... Why are you calling this monster your brother? What just happened?

BROTHER EMMERAN: I know I owe you an explanation. This place was the object of my soul quest. The soul spark of my dead twin brother's was trapped here. Finally, he is free... I am sorry I couldn't tell you the entire truth. But the oath that binds me to the Riverfather also prevented me from becoming involved. I could only trust in your heroism.

URDIRIEL: But you did get involved in the battle. Didn't that break your oath?

BROTHER EMMERAN: Well, I did intervene, but to create peace, not to fight. But I could only free my brother's soul spark once you had contained the evil.

URDIRIEL: What exactly happened with your brother?

BROTHER EMMERAN: Narog was my twin brother. As you may know, the bond between twins is very close among us Angroshim. It is almost as if we share a soul. We grew up in Tosh Mur, the place the Human's know as Wood Watch. Side by side, we delved in the mines of L

Beggar Greyhair takes our party to the edge of the Dark Forest where the Harbormaster disappeared into.

drakensang2011030616293.png

BEGGAR GREYHAIR: This is where Orbert was seen tramping into the woods with some henchmen. But where exactly...

ARDO: It's alright, Greyhair. I think he's on his way over here already, our busy harbormaster.

The harbormaster and his cronies show up and enter the Dark Forest after taking smoke torches from a hidden crate.

drakensang2011030616300.png

Using smoke torches themselves, the party enters the Dark Forest and follows the Harbormaster's trail. Without the smoke torch, the party would be attacked by endless waves of increasingly tough animals.

drakensang2011030616324.png

The party confronts the Harbormaster while he's looking for the secret entrance to the castle in a rock face.

drakensang2011030616324.png

HARBORMASTER ORBERT: By the thunderboxes, it's you again?! What is this?

URDIRIEL: Absolutely right... it's us. Surprised?

HARBORMASTER ORBERT: Not really. I suspected right from the start that you were up to no good. You're very persistent, seeing you're even still alive. At least we got one of you. So my trap at the harbor was of some use after all.

URDIRIEL: Then you also have Fayris on your conscience.

JAAKON: He hasn't had one of those in a long time ... If he did, he wouldn't have given us free rein.

HARBORMASTER ORBERT: Did you really believe you could snoop around my harbor and get away with it ? If you did, then you're even dumber than I thought.

ARDO: Stop! In the name of the Emperor: Put down your weapons and surrender!

HARBORMASTER ORBERT: I have bad news for you. It seems that neither you nor the Emperor has a thing to say here. Recruits, Coldstone's orders are clear! This entrance must remain secret! Make mincemeat out of them!

Finally, we get to kill that annoying jerk of a Harbormaster. After he and his cronies are dead, Urdiriel finds the key to the secret entrance on his corpse.

drakensang2011030616331.png

Urdiriel then locates the keystone in the rock wall and the secret entrance to the castle opens.

drakensang2011030616343.png

drakensang2011030616344.png

drakensang2011030616351.png

Once inside, however, there is a surprise: the party didn't enter the castle but a cave system that serves as a mercenary base... soon they are addressed by a mercenary.

drakensang2011030616352.png

MERCENARY 1: Ah, fresh meat! Welcome, recruits! Where's the harbormaster? He's normally so keen to collect his little fee at once.

CANO: [Lie] Oh, Orbert told us we should go ahead in the meantime. He probably wanted to check something outside. He'll collect his money later.

MERCENARY 1: [success] So? What does he want to look at? Oh well, he'll tell us in due course. The main thing is that you're here. Get your tabards from that chest up there.

MERCENARY 2: Hey, look at that, Sergeant! That fair-haired guy's doublet is covered in blood!

MERCENARY 1: So it is! You look as though you've just come from battle! What have you been doing?

CANO: [Lie] We were attacked by a pack of wolves in the forest. We had to dispatch a couple of them to get them to leave us alone!

MERCENARY 1: [success] So there are problems with those beasts again, hmm? I'd hoped that that was over for now! Well, good, I'm glad you made it. Like I said, find yourselves a couple of tabards that fit you out of the chests there, and go out into the gorge. Guard Gerald is already waiting for you.

So for now, our party is forced to play along with the mercenaries, and must find an entrance to the castle somewhere in the mercenary camp.

drakensang2011030616370.png

NEXT: in disguise

Our party exits the cave and enters the main mercenary camp in the gorge just as Baron Dajin of Nadoret himself is holding a speech for the assembled mercenaries.

drakensang2011030616371.png

BARON DAJIN OF NADORET: Some folks would say that we

After heading through the gate in the mercenary camp, the party finds itself in the wine cellar of Baron Dajin's castle.

drakensang2011030617063.png

Soon, a servant enters the wine cellar, who Ardo seems to be familiar with.

drakensang2011030617074.png

VALET WENDEL: Hey!? Who's there?! Guests? Here?! That

Our party's task now is ruining the mood at the party to force the Baron to show up and try to save it, so he can be confronted. To achieve this, we go and talk to Lady Mina of the Mountain ("of the Mountain", btw, is a pretty unnecessary translation of "von Berg").

drakensang2011030719445.png

MINA OF THE MOUNTAIN: I presume that no introductions are necessary, your lordship?

ARDO: No, my dear Lady of the Mountain. Mina, I believe?

MINA OF THE MOUNTAIN: So you do remember! Heehee. We

In the jail, Ardo soons come up with a cunning escape plan: luring the jailer in by pretending to have a heart attack.

drakensang2011030719531.png

At any rate, it works like a charm.

drakensang2011030819273.png

Once outside the jail, our party's immediate task is to retrieve their gear. There are a few skirmishes with guards, luckily there are two casters in the party and they are easily disposed of.

drakensang2011030819300.png

The party finds a group of guards that is about to gamble over the equipment. Disposing of them gives access to the chests containing our equipment.

drakensang2011030819314.png

drakensang2011030819340.png

drakensang2011030819342.png

After re-equipping, outside some stairs ascend to a lonely tower. This is the place where the elusive Mora is kept by the Baron.

drakensang2011030819412.png

Finally, the party finds the mysterious Mora.

drakensang2011030819541.png

drakensang2011030819542.png

MORA: Who are you? Cano, is that really you?

CANO: Mora! I

After killing all opposition, the party finds the secret entrance to the Baron's treasure chamber in the cage with the dogs.

drakensang2011030820001.png

drakensang2011030820005.png

The party finds the door of the treasure chamber is locked by an elaborate Dwarven mechanism. To open it, there is a final puzzle to be solved.

drakensang2011030820021.png

drakensang2011030820024.png

Once inside the treasure chamber, there is an unpleasant surprise awaiting: the Crown of Raul went awol.

drakensang2011030820042.png

drakensang2011030820043.png

drakensang2011030820044.png

MORA: It was lying right there when I was last here. But Dajin mentioned something about a handover that was to take place soon thereafter.

ARDO: Who was he going to hand the crown over to?

MORA: He said that the crown was to be delivered to a certain Answin of Ravensmound. He said something about Answin being,

Our party heads upstairs and very soon the trap is sprung. Jasmine shows up again, along with her apprentice and some mercenaries.

drakensang2011030820104.png

drakensang2011030820104.png

drakensang2011030820110.png

drakensang2011030820110.png

Jasmine leaves her apprentice to deal with the party. This fight is a preparation for the actual end battle. The apprentice will create several duplicates of herself that all cast spells on the party.

drakensang2011030820111.png

drakensang2011030820120.png

drakensang2011030820121.png

drakensang2011030820124.png

Conveniently, Mora as a quest NPC cannot be killed during combat and therefore acts as a very good decoy. The fight is soon over.

drakensang2011030820162.png

Now, it is time to confront the Baron, Coldstone and Jasmine at the balcony and at last retrieve the Crown of Raul.

drakensang2011030820173.png

NEXT: the final battle.

The mirror version of our party is easy to defeat as long as the most dangerous ones are kept in check by putting them to sleep or turning them to stone.

drakensang2011030920123.png

After Jasmine is defeated once again, Coldstone will order her to teleport away, and finally enter battle himself.

drakensang2011030920135.png

Coldstone animates the statue of Answin of Ravensmound that the Baron was supposed to give to the actual Ravensmound as a gift, and has it engage the party. The battle against Coldstone isn't hard, just long and annoying.

drakensang2011030920141.png

The statue is a very dangerous opponent in melee, but moves very slowly. Hence, ranged attacks are the way to go here.

drakensang2011030920154.png

Once the statue has taken a certain amount of damage, Coldstone will stop controlling the party, summon ethereal swords and cast spells on the party. This is the moment to damage him.

drakensang2011030920180.png

drakensang2011030920270.png

Eventually, after using the trick with the statue and the swords a couple more times, Coldstone will drop dead and drop the Crown of Raul...

drakensang2011030920272.png

...while the statue of Ravensmound will go crashing down the rock face. At this point, Gerlin and Forgrimm show up again as well.

drakensang2011030920273.png

Meanwhile, it turns out Mora somehow survived the avalanche of debris (being in the good graces of the god of thieves might have something to do with that).

drakensang2011030920274.png

CANO: Mora! Praised be Phex! You are still alive! That's the last time we risk our lives for the sake of a stupid wager!

MORA: Yes Cano, you're right. Let's work together from now on.

Ardo now finally completes his mission and retrieves the Crown of Raul...

drakensang2011030920280.png

The once-proud Baron, now a broken man, is taken away by Forgrimm.

drakensang2011030920281.png

drakensang2011030920282.png

GERLIN: The Baron of Nadoret is clearly no longer the master of his own mind, a successor must be appointed. I will attend to this matter as soon as time permits.

ARDO: Well, the search is finally over, and the crown is safely stowed away. Everything that has anything to do with the crown...

GERLIN: ...will remain a secret!

ARDO: That applies to every one of us! The story of our journey must remain a secret among friends! The damage that would be done to the Emperor would be irreparable... even now that it's all over.

ARDO: My thanks, Gerlin, I'm deep in your debt.

drakensang2011030920291.png

ARDO: But not only that. I thank you, too, my friends, for it was your heroic deeds that saved the crown. It was an honor to share this adventure with you!

drakensang2011030920292.png

CANO: Your Lordship, Mora and I have agreed to work together in the future.

MORA: In other words, our wager is off and we are no longer a threat to the crown.

ARDO: Hahaha, what a relief, "Mister and Mrs Foxhill".

drakensang2011030920294.png

drakensang2011030920294.png

And that is that for the main quest.

At this point, Forgrimm will officially end his framed storytelling, just as it becomes morning in Ferdok. Cano himself shows up as well.

drakensang2011030920301.png

drakensang2011030920303.png

drakensang2011030920305.png

drakensang2011030920312.png

We will continue playing for now, since we can still chat a bit with our companions.

NEXT: final update.

All there's left to do now, is talking some more to our companions.

drakensang2011030920321.png

drakensang2011030920322.png

drakensang2011031218590.png

AGENT GERLIN: What a mess - it'll take a lot of love and money to hush that up.

JAAKON: Yes, Coldstone had the potential to destroy, but it didn't do him any good. I wish Fayris were still alive ... everything seems so flat.

AGENT GERLIN: Yes ... I know what you mean ... it's hard to come to terms with these losses. I'm glad, though, that we were able to put a stop to Coldstone's scheming. Perhaps that will go some way towards making amends to his victims.

JAAKON: Yes, who knows what else this Coldstone had planned.

URDIRIEL: Gerlin, what have you been able to find out about Coldstone?

AGENT GERLIN: When I was in Ferdok, I asked my old IGIA contacts for help. There are only a couple of inconsequential files on Coldstone there. They prove that he worked for the IGIA under Answin of Ravensmound.

URDIRIEL: Answin worked for the IGIA too?

AGENT GERLIN: After Emperor Reto dissolved the IGIA upon his inauguration, it was re-established on Answin's advice in the year 984 BF. At the time, Answin was Privy Councillor and directed the agency between 984 and 998 BF. Coldstone and Ravensmound must know each other from back then. But there's no proof. Even if there is any documentation on it, it must be deep in the dungeons of the IGIA stronghold in Koshtown. I wasn't able to get access to them...

URDIRIEL: Interesting...

AGENT GERLIN: Dajin was just a cheap henchman for Coldstone. Well, he had his own agenda, at any rate. Something that went further than Growin's disempowerment and the discrediting of Emperor Hal. Who knows what would have been in store for us if Coldstone hadn't been stopped.

URDIRIEL: What was with the mercenaries' coat of arms?

AGENT GERLIN: The blue griffin on the white ground. Heraldically speaking, the griffin is the animal on the coat of arms of the Middenrealm, blue represents loyalty, and white stands for purity. What a noble coat of arms these traitors have created for themselves. But anyway ... one's own view of things is often somewhat glorified. I almost feel a bit sorry for that Sir Erund of Olming. I really think he thought he was doing a good deed for the Empire.

URDIRIEL: Gerlin, what are you planning to do now, exactly?

AGENT GERLIN: I'm going to the Mellow Ox to meet a contact I've been working with for a very long time. We're going to work out a strategy for detecting those traitors who have not yet been unmasked.

URDIRIEL: How exciting - tell me more.

AGENT GERLIN: Well, it's not really that exciting. Now that the snake's head has been chopped off, those people cannot expect any support. You should stop by sometime and see for yourself how things are. Apart from that, I'm going to have a lot to do with Growin. He needs to be informed about all the things that have been happening in his county recently.

URDIRIEL: Jaakon, what are your plans?

JAAKON: I'd really like to help you for a while. Things for me would be very boring without you. Gerlin will surely understand that and release me from my duties.

AGENT GERLIN: Of course, Jaakon. Oh, how I'd love to have the time to go off seeking adventure once more, alongside my stressful and time-consuming work in the Privy Council. But I can already hear my paperwork beckoning.

JAAKON: When all this is over, I'd like to assist you again, Gerlin. The well-being of the Middenrealm is, as you know, something that is very dear to my heart. And I think I could make a worthwhile contribution there.

drakensang2011031219024.png

ARDO: It's incredible. I can't believe all the things that have happened recently. My loyal Forgrimm. What would I have done without you?

URDIRIEL: Hey, you two... I'm not disturbing you, am I?

ARDO: Nonsense, come and join us. You can't possibly disturb us. Forgrimm and I owe you our honor and our lives.

URDIRIEL: Ardo, I had a debt to repay.

FORGRIMM: Fiddlesticks, you did more than that. You proved yourself a true friend.

URDIRIEL: What do you think of our two Foxhills, Cano and Mora?

ARDO: Haha - look at them! The quarrel of lovers is the renewal of love. Phex have mercy on us if they ever have children ... hahaha.

URDIRIEL: Yes, that might be amusing...

FORGRIMM: ... stressful!

URDIRIEL: Cano did prove himself a loyal comrade later, though.

FORGRIMM: Ha... even I quite like that scallywag now. Bah... what am I saying...

ARDO: Cano's heart is in the right place! He's learned a lot, as have we all.

URDIRIEL: What will happen to the crown?

ARDO: It's going back to safekeeping in Rudo's Shield ... as soon as I get back home, the guards will be increased, the walls raised and a few observant people hired.

URDIRIEL: And the Emperor? Will he find out what's happened?

ARDO: I'd like to tell Emperor Hal everything. Gerlin says, however, that telling the Emperor at this point wouldn't be a good idea. It could lead to over-hasty reactions. As soon as he's sorted out everything here, Gerlin will set off for talks with my nephew Blasius of Boarstock, Prince of Kosh, and Count Growin of Ferdok. Everything pertaining to Dajin will be ... discussed there.

URDIRIEL: What are you going to do?

ARDO: Stay out of it initially and wait to see what happens. I'm happy having nothing to do with politics for the time being. The secret surrounding the crown is in good hands with Gerlin.

URDIRIEL: What do you think of Answin of Ravensmound's involvement in this conspiracy?

ARDO: Let me put it like this. There are enough scoundrels in the Middenrealm who want the Old Times back. Answin of Ravensmound is undoubtedly one of them. It hasn't been proven that he has anything to do with this matter. And even if that is the case, his two court scribes will present the story in the correct light.

URDIRIEL: Do you think we'll get any more trouble from that Jasmine character?

ARDO: It's hard to say... but we haven't heard the last of her.

drakensang2011031219051.png

CANO: Tell me, the family of this Ravensmound - aren't they supposed to be wealthy?

MORA: Do we want to bet again? We could...

URDIRIEL: I didn't mean to disturb you.

CANO: Oh, you're not disturbing us. Mora and I...

MORA: Can we help you?

URDIRIEL: You want to work together from now on?

MORA: Yes, we were just talking about that...

CANO: ...didn't you want... to place another bet?

MORA: Oh, Cano. Don't take everything so seriously. When this adventure's over, you and I should devise something special to do together in Albernia.

URDIRIEL: What was the story of your contest to steal the crown?

CANO: Well, I was a contender for the Havena Thieves' Crown for some time ... the King of Thieves at the time, Merkur Soliman ...

MORA: ... didn't want to make things too easy for Cano, so he advertised the position. Cano wasn't bad, but I think I beat him to it ...

URDIRIEL: Er...

CANO: ... you were caught, so points should be deducted. Without our help ...

MORA: ... you see - you weren't alone, anyway. Points should be deducted for that, too ...

URDIRIEL: How did you actually steal the crown, Mora? Tell us again.

MORA: Well, it happened like this. It had already occurred to me that Cano might be planning to forestall me, so I took the direct route. I told Ardo that I was a noblewoman who had fallen on hard times and that I would like to be his daughter's handmaid ... convincing that wary old warrior and his bodyguards was very difficult ...

CANO: Bah ... all you probably had to do was wiggle your hips and bat your eyelashes.

MORA: Exactly, Cano, and in comparison to you, I'm quite beguiling ... I did, after all, charm Ardo and Forgrimm. The rest is very simple... I stole down into the cellar and switched out the crowns while Ardo and Forgrimm were getting roaring drunk in the next room. Then I just slipped out of the castle like that ...

CANO: ... haha, that was arguably far too easy. It only counts as a true Phexcapade if it involves the requisite level of difficulty.

URDIRIEL: Cano, tell me the story again - how did Ardo and Forgrimm catch you?

CANO: That was all just a really stupid coincidence. If you hadn't taken the crown, Mora, everything would have gone smoothly anyway... I'd just snuck past countless guards and avoided lethal traps ...

MORA: ... hehe, you really do have a good imagination. There was no guard there and I didn't see any traps there either. At most Ardo and Forgrimm were downstairs doing justice to the Pale Ale...

CANO: Mora ... let me tell my story ... I don't interrupt you during yours ... Then I held Raul's Crown in my hands and realized ... it was a fake ... I wept bitterly, because Phex had obviously permitted himself a terrible joke at my expense ...

MORA: Hehe, it wasn't Phex, Cano, it was me - I played that trick on you. And apparently you were so loud that Ardo's old watchdog started barking.

CANO: Mora! Please!

URDIRIEL: Haha... you two are going to have a lot of fun together.

Back at the Thalaria, we can talk some more.

drakensang2011031219094.png

drakensang2011031219100.png

ARDO: What is it then?

URDIRIEL: How do you assess the situation?

ARDO: We

That was a serious amount of work.

I stand in awe.

Thank you.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

• 1 month later...