Why not give bums the option of euthanasia?

Guest The Architect

Heck Arch, why give them a choice? If you think they are so miserable just round them up and do it for them if they want it or not. Then you could even process and cook them and feed them to the pople in prision right? Solve two problems at once. After all if you are going to propose an absurd notion, why not take it all the way?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Guest The Architect

Hahaha. Well **** me sideways, I had no idea so many of you would get your knickers in a bunch over this. The same people who probably all sat back and laughed when George Carlin made his big joke about who to target for population control, only, knowing the cynic he was, you knew he was all for it. But yeah, I could just imagine it, all those homeless people would be up in arms. "Are you kidding!? I don't want to die, what would my rubbish bin do without me?" Unethical, you say. That's why you give them the option. You think I want these people to die? No, but they should be given the option to discontinue their lives if they want to, but oh no, buying dope off a drug dealer and overdosing would be a much more humane way to go out, wouldn't it?

You know Taco Bell all ready supports this, right?

Of course they do, they having culling the herd with their food for years.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hahaha. Well **** me sideways, I had no idea so many of you would get your knickers in a bunch over this. The same people who probably all sat back and laughed when George Carlin made his big joke about who to target for population control, only, knowing the cynic he was, you knew he was all for it. But yeah, I could just imagine it, all those homeless people would be up in arms. "Are you kidding!? I don't want to die, what would my rubbish bin do without me?" Unethical, you say. That's why you give them the option. You think I want these people to die? No, but they should be given the option to discontinue their lives if they want to, but oh no, buying dope off a drug dealer and overdosing would be a much more humane way to go out, wouldn't it?

So why not give the option of euthanasia to everyone? The very fact that you think it should be made available to a specific group of people (actually, a group of people loosely defined as 'bums', you can have a terrible quality of life even with a house) means you have already made a very strong value judgment about the worth of that group to society and the right of that group to keep on living. If you didn't think at all that these people were useless or aren't as worthy as living, your original argument would not be proposed in such a form.

You could be up front here that you think it's a solution to cull the homeless populace and justify it, or if it really isn't the case, you might want to think about it a bit more because right now that's the only way it makes sense.

Guest The Architect

Okay fine then, I say give the option of euthanasia to everyone with a terrible quality of life. This was never about discrimination against the homeless, this is about my belief that it doesn't matter whether me, you, or the Pope thinks it's an act of weakness or not, but if an individual, under extenuating circumstances, wants to end their life, then they should be entitled to do it. This is about mercy, not population control, since, as has already been insinuated, most underprivileged people would probably want to live on regardless of the circumstances.

So why not give the option of euthanasia to everyone? The very fact that you think it should be made available to a specific group of people means you have already made a very strong value judgment about the worth of that group to society and the right of that group to keep on living.

This.

If a person has reached such a low point that they are contemplating suicide, the message you want to send is yes, it's totally okay that you kill yourself, go right ahead? F**k you.

Guest The Architect

**** off Volo, I'm not like that.

Anyway, you know what, you guys are right. Even though it's not meant to come across maliciously, I can see how it's easy to get the impression that my idea is basically to kill off everyone whose life is **** and wants to escape from it. Obviously you want to try and help these people first, but as you all should know, sometimes you just can't do jack **** and if all else fails.... yeah alright, if the person isn't terminally ill there is always hope for a better life and so on and so fourth. Fair enough, I get why you guys got on your rags about this, it's just the cynical side of me doesn't see the light at the end of the tunnel for these folks.

You bloody fascists! :(

Seriously, have you ever spent any time talking to homeless people? I'm not saying they love the crap they're in, but many of them basically adjust tehir world view. It's one reason it's hard to get off the street (so I'm told). I don't see it myself, but WTF? You can't just kill people because their lives are crappy.

Now, PJ Harvey, on the other hand... her life is incredibly pampered but she won't stop banging on about how upset she is. I think the kindest thing would be to kill her. Because e can't simply expend the resources to make her life better, as we could with other unfortunates.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Plus it would leave John Parish free to work with more interesting artists.

That's what I wanted to convey with my earlier post, with the friendship bit. Most bums they just, well, live their lives just like we do. It's not the standard life we're used to, but to them it's just day to day living just like us. I knew a bum who was lots of fun to hang around with, eventually died of natural causes in his sleep at a ripe old age. Just lived his life differently, 's all.

I think suicide is a cowardly act. Harsh I know, but I believe one of the ebst qualities of humans is our spirit, and enver say die attitude. There's tons of tales of someone living in miserabkle, in great pain, having a horirble disease, etc., etc and then overcoming said issue and living a fulfilling life. It takes guts to live through tough ****, and we should be encouraging those who feel liekc rap and their lvies are worthless to better themselves and fight through it.

Should we also euthanise drug addicts and alocohols whose issues are destroyiing their lies despite there being tales of triumph?

or perhaps we should euthanise the athlete who loses a leg because he feels his life is over because he can't pursue his dream anymore and feels worthy?

I dunnjo. About promping them up, and pushing them and giving them motivation to triumph.

Cowards are cowards and I don't think we should celebrate cowardice. I feel sorry for those who contemplate suiicide since it's gotta be crappy to feel that horrible about your life.. but, that's why they need help to fix their life not end it.

Those who say we should help suiciders, on the other hand, have some type of issue that makes them think it's cool to kill anyone who may not have a perfect life, imo. pure sick. Remind me of those punks we ehar about in highschool who taunts the 'loser' into committing suicide and is shcoked SHOCKED when they actually do.

R00fles!

Disgusting. :(

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You seriously think this is OK? You need to get out more, mate.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Guest The Architect

Why did you respond to something I said earlier when you clearly read what I wrote later? Getting senile, old fella? You're right, though, in some way. I do get out, but that doesn't really mean I've had much life experience. I haven't spoken to homeless people, I have no idea what it's like to be one, I have no idea how they feel about it. As they say, assumption is the mother of all **** ups. Sounds like you guys who've had more experience with them think most would be outraged with the idea, and the ones who want a way out would probably die soon enough anyway.

Getting senile, old fella?

No. And you can put down that 'mercy' mallet.

-Elwood Blues

I've always thought of you as a bit of a sad bum, Archie.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Guest The Architect
No. And you can put down that 'mercy' mallet.

Yeah, that had apologetic written all over it. Goes to show I care about my reputation on here, wouldn't want it to be flushed down the toilet because of this. It's scary how apathetic you can become when you're depressed. But I'm alright now. Truth is, what brought this all on, was when it just hit me, that we're all going to die, and so are our loved ones, and when we're all gone, it will be as if we never existed, I mean I always knew that, but then I thought, why does anything matter then? It doesn't. Only the survival of the human race does. And that can be very depressing when you look at it that way, which is why many people refuse to accept oblivion death, to overcome their own thanatophobia.

So rather than make this about me, I directed this at people who are not only going to die like the rest of us, but whose lives are ****, so why not put them out of their misery? But it's true, even bums can be happy, and I started to look at the idea that nothing really matters in a different light. It's actually quite liberating. There's no real need to worry about anything too much that isn't directed at your survival, to work yourself into a state of anger or sadness like I know I have done, and when you realise that, you feel an overwhelming sense of relief.