Obsidian at PAX EAST 2011

funcroc

Interactive Drama: Dialogue as Gameplay (Friday - 2:00 pm - Cat Theatre)

Jonathon Myers (Moderator) [Writer, Reactive Games]

Stephen Dinehart [Narrative Designer, Narrware]

Evan Skolnick [Writer, Producer, Editorial Director, Vicarious Visions]

Emily Short [interactive Fiction Author, Independent]

John Gonzalez [Lead Writer, Lead Creative Designer of Fallout: New Vegas, Obsidian Entertainment]

from Emily Short's blog

"Setting as character in narrative games" -- I proposed this as a PAX panel (Andrew Plotkin, Rob Wheeler, Stephen Granade, John Gonzalez (Obsidian), Dean Tate (Harmonix)). It wasn't accepted, but we should do it for our own program. I've emailed everybody on the original list.

EDIT: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/PAX_East_2011

Edited by funcroc

Interactive Drama: Dialogue as Gameplay

Cat Theatre

Friday, 2:00pm - 3:00pm

Do narrative games provide dialogue choices that enhance gameplay? Is it important to develop relationships through interactive choices between player and non-player characters? How are interactive conversation choices designed and how important is the user interface? What does it mean to experience Interactive Drama in a gameplay mechanic of dialogue choices?

Panelists include: Jonathon Myers [Co-Founder, Writer, Reactive Games], Stephen Dinehart [Chief Wizard , NarrWare], Evan Skolnick [Writer, Producer, Editorial Director, Vicarious Visions], Emily Short [interactive Fiction Author, Independent], John Gonzalez [Lead Writer, Lead Creative Designer of Fallout: New Vegas, Obsidian Entertainment]

State of the Industry: What Are Your Career Options?

IGDA Dev Center

Saturday, 10:00am - 10:50am

This panel will focus on the current state of the game industry and the many career paths available to those interested in breaking in. Topics include the growth and development of the industry; new roles, platforms, and genres; the distinction between developers and publishers; and how companies, teams, and projects are structured.

Panelists include: John Comes [Creative Director, Uber Entertainment], Jim Rivers [Hiring Manager, Obsidian Entertainment], Limor Schafman [President, KeystoneTech], Mary-Margaret Walker [CEO & Founder, Mary-Margaret Network]

Getting the Most Out of Game Education

IGDA Dev Center

Saturday, 11:00am - 12:00pm

Representatives from game development studios and degree programs at several colleges and universities will discuss what to look for in game education, curriculum structure, internship programs, special projects, software, and portfolio development.

Panelists include: Adam Chapman [President & COO, Poptank Studios], Terrence Masson [Director of Creative Industries, Northeastern University], [DigiPen Institute of Technology], Jim Rivers [Hiring Manager, Obsidian Entertainment]

Making it Happen: The Search is on!

IGDA Dev Center

Saturday, 12:00pm - 12:50 pm

This panel focuses on how to position yourself and jumpstart your career through effective job search techniques, in-person networking, online communities, and social networking tools.

Panelists include: John Comes [Creative Director, Uber Entertainment], Jim Rivers [Hiring Manager, Obsidian Entertainment], Limor Schafman [President, KeystoneTech], Mark Soderwall [Art Director & Visual Game Design Consultant], Mary-Margaret Walker [CEO & Founder, Mary-Margaret Network]

Portfolios & Demos That Rock

IGDA Dev Center

Saturday, 5:00pm - 6:45 pm

This is your chance to get a clear view of what works, and what doesn't, for portfolios and demos. A team of industry experts will expose you to the anatomy of several demos and portfolios with every element explained and dissected. If you'd like your own portfolio or demo to be "put on the table," be sure to bring it to this session!

Panelists include: John Comes [Creative Director, Uber Entertainment], Terrence Masson [Director of Creative Industries, Northeastern University], Jim Rivers [Hiring Manager, Obsidian Entertainment], Mark Soderwall [Art Director & Visual Game Design Consultant]

http://east.paxsite.com/schedule.php

Any staff members wanna chime in with anything we don't know about?

Last year they only printed Chris Avellone's name for half his panels, so I'm wondering if Obsidian will have even more of a showing, not that it isn't already fantastic. I've been sitting on the GDC Vault site for a year now waiting for them to offer paid subs so I can watch Gonzalez and Rivers speak.

Thanks for coming to Boston!

• 4 weeks later...
My sources tell me that for "Interactive Drama: Dialogue as Gameplay", John Gonzalez will be replaced by Daniel Erickson, Writing Director of BioWare Austin, as John is in the middle of switching companies. Just a heads up so nobody's blindsided by the switch.

See y'all at PAX!

oO Gonzalez is already leaving Obsidian?

I always hate hearing about people leaving Obsidian.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I always hate hearing about people leaving Obsidian.

When you've the creative lead or production lead or whatever on a AAA game like New Vegas, you're in a much better position in the job market than most people. Seems like there have been a lot of people who "transferred up" after working at Obsidz, so it's not like it's a bad place to work.

I suppose it's fine as long as there are good people on teh way in from outside, or up from 'below' to take the places of the good guys.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.