Dungeon Siege III Art

I've been looking at the pics from the Atomic HQ preview event funcroc linked us to in the previews thread, and is it me or did Lucas go through some kind of tweaking since the art we have on the first page of this thread? I mean, look :

20110420101623_IMG_3814.jpg

He looks older, 'harder'.

Definitely older, not sure about harder. He's lost the babyfaced killer look - A positive to my mind but then my vote probably doesn't count, I'm not keen on where the game design's gone.

What Dimitri posted is the in-game model.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

• 2 weeks later...

Lucas doesn't look like a gritty space marine, not even a 5 o'clock shadow.

Worst. Game. Ever.

Really, people complain how every character nowadays is a gritty SM, but when someone DARES to make one look different.. You don't even have to look at his face for like 99% of the game. Wait, let me guess: the thought that he's got a face you don't find attractive will haunt you throughout the whole game (and IN YOUR DREEEAAAMS), amirite? You poor things.

Some people have baby faces. Like Lucas. Deal with it.

Also Lucas needs bigger pauldrons. Cuz the shoulders are vulnerable.

Katherina's Laser rifle design is... interesting.

Hah I was joking. Lucas fits the style perfectly. Young buck out to save the world, faced with real big problems due to jesse's anti-legion crap, and there is probably something bigger and worse in the background that choses this convenient time to wreak havoc on Ehb.

--Jokes aside--

Katherina is still a problem though(nonexistent armor, high heels). She looks like the type of woman you see in shopping malls(minus lasgun of course), yet she has the animations of an olympics athlete, which are kind of controversial. It would be somewhat acceptable if she was a raw wizard (like Reinhardt Mengsk[sorry again, but I never saw his last name written properly] who has the animations of a monk rather than a normal mage), cue the more reserved moves and reduced stamina.

Last complaint/qq/whine/objection/thing I noticed: The archon_descent.jpg, which shows Anjali in her Archon form, does not look like to fit to the forum rules, because that elemental form is in essence, a fully naked floating woman. I know it's game render, posted by one of the artist team, and it WAS done in good intentions to have a healthy relationship with the community, to give us some information we really craved for, but it's still opposite to the forum rules (sexual content).

Not that I have any objection against Anjali/archon, but I want to see it resolved instead of being shoved under the carpet/rug, because that Never helps.

PS: And Yes I did notice the Jade_Gargoyle sounds from DS1 Crypts in the Katherina and Anjali trailers, huge positive bonus. Wonder how many references we will see in the game. I'm anticipated.

PPS: Can I have my Dragon Minigun back for Katherina please? That shiny flashlight (slang for lasgun, which is a shorthand for laser gun) is cool, but I'd rather scythe stuff down with gatling goodness.

PPPS: Ok this will be the last, but where are the awesome goblin inventory stuff from DS1? Gatlings, 'Nade launchers, Teslas and flamethrowers? Katherina would have less problems in close combat, as foes wouldn't get there because of... a wall of flame? Anjali would surely love that weapon too.

Last complaint/qq/whine/objection/thing I noticed: The archon_descent.jpg, which shows Anjali in her Archon form, does not look like to fit to the forum rules, because that elemental form is in essence, a fully naked floating woman. I know it's game render, posted by one of the artist team, and it WAS done in good intentions to have a healthy relationship with the community, to give us some information we really craved for, but it's still opposite to the forum rules (sexual content).

Uhmmmm, no. You don't see anything explicit. I mean at all. It just looks like she got some skin-tight costume

Did you really get a good look at the picture?

(1) Katarina is still a problem though (nonexistent armor, high heels). She looks like the type of woman you see in shopping malls (minus lasgun of course), yet she has the animations of an olympics athlete, which are kind of controversial.

(2) Last complaint/qq/whine/objection/thing I noticed: The archon_descent.jpg, which shows Anjali in her Archon form, does not look like to fit to the forum rules, because that elemental form is in essence, a fully naked floating woman.

(1) The armor she wears at the beginning of the latest video has a too low of a neckline, but it protects her stomach and looks like honest-to-God metal. And you think Olympic athletes never go to malls?

(2) There are no genitalia nor any nipples visible on that image, and I'm sure the moderators wouldn't ban this either. Or an image of a 'naked' Barbie or Ken doll.

Okay. Closed up, and indeed there was no explicit nipple nor genitalia texture on Anjali/Archon, but it should be noted that it needed a very, VERY close up to be sure. Otherwise thanks for pointing it out and clarifying.

Personally I don't have any problems with both the Archon and the linked picture, so if it goes by the rules(and it is now clarified that it does), then fine by me.

*shrugs* For Katerina at least I'm gonna reconcile the fact that she has so little armor with her being an Archon and she doesn't actually WEAR clothes/armor so much as gives the appearance of it while her innate self armors her and simply puts clothes on her to make her "presentable".

Yay for unsupported fan theories!

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

*shrugs* For Katerina at least I'm gonna reconcile the fact that she has so little armor with her being an Archon and she doesn't actually WEAR clothes/armor so much as gives the appearance of it while her innate self armors her and simply puts clothes on her to make her "presentable".

Yay for supported fan theories!

Ummm...no. For several reasons.

There are no genitalia nor any nipples visible on that image, and I'm sure the moderators wouldn't ban this either. Or an image of a 'naked' Barbie or Ken doll.

You know, every time you do that, I need to click on it, fearing that it will have naked monkey orgies or something....

But is Michelangelo's David family friendly?

It's gay family friendly.

Really now, being a prude it's a choice and it's something being imposed on our society.(with an hypocritical double standard) We shouldn't take it so far as to start chopping the penises off statues again.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The landscapes are beautiful but, judging from game-play clips, I got an impression that NPCs are built from 2D portraits without animated 3D figures in mind: They would look great in 2D but it's shame that the 3D face expressions feel stuck somewhere in the uncanny valley especially compared with some recent titles.

The landscapes are beautiful but, judging from game-play clips, I got an impression that NPCs are built from 2D portraits without animated 3D figures in mind: They would look great in 2D but it's shame that the 3D face expressions feel stuck somewhere in the uncanny valley especially compared with some recent titles.

I think that has more to do with Obsidians animation department lacking in general a bit.

I think that has more to do with Obsidians animation department lacking in general a bit.

Maybe it was a decision of priorities?

I.e. focusing on a certain rendering distance, where the camera is presumably going to spend most of it's time. I remember the grotesquely oversized weapons that characters in NWN2 ran around with (their ridiculousness would have made a Games Workshop miniature green with envy), yet when zoomed out and using the isometric view, they looked "normal" and you could tell from a distance what you were wielding. There are only so many texture sizes and LoD's to go around on the various platforms. As an amusing anecdote, it wasn't until my second playthrough of NWN2 that I noticed that rooms and caves had "ceilings", always zooming out to the max distance. Same thing in DA:O

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein