Is this for real?

Firstly, I understand that none of the MP details are confirmed. That said, I'd like to comment on the speculation, just to let Obsidian know how I as a potential consumer feel about it.

This relates directly, to the offline co-op mode.

Please understand, that I, like many older gamers, play offline co-op almost exclusively unless the game supports a mix of off and online. Paramount to any game of this sort, as you know, is the ability to develop your character and be rewarded for the time you invest.

A failure to allow the offline coop player to develop their own character is unconscionable. Not only is there no good technical reason for this not to be allowed, it would literally kill sales for anyone who's primary interest is that. For me, if this feature is not included, this goes from a pre-ordered game, that I will be sneezing about to all of my friends who game, to a non-purchase. It is that big of an issue. I will not pay for Fable 2 again. Or Deathspank. Which is a shame, but go ahead and check my history. My username is my Gamer Tag. My wife and I purchased Deathspank excited to play coop. I think we played for minutes before we stopped because she wasn't gaining anything playing as his wizard sidekick.

It was boring and unfair.

Compare this to the time we spent playing Sacred 2. Which for all intents and purposes was a broken and somewhat lame product. That should be edifying. It's all about grinding and looting and growing.

So should this game ship without the ability for 2 offline players to develop their characters together, unfortunately, this will literally go from my most anticipated title this year, to completely off my radar. That's hard to say, because I was incredibly excited for this game. I've been waiting for something like it since Baldurs Gate on the original Xbox.

Cheers and I hope this rumour proves false.

I'm with you, I'm really excited about this game because it looks like a fun game my fiance and I could play together, I've always wanted to get her into dungeon crawlers, but she doesn't really like to play games by herself. I will be very disappointed if the co-op is nothing more than a user-controlled sidekick. In fact I probably won't even get the game.

I don't think that's possible. If DS3 is a 20 hour long game, for example, with enemies gradually scaling in difficulty, can you possibly finish it with all 3 of your co-op teammates stuck in lvl 1 and starting equipment? I sincerely doubt it. Not being able to export a character from someone else's main campaign sounds about right, since they are tied to a certain save game. So you shouldn't be able to export him, grind him to lvl 999 and then return him with his new lvl and equipment to the same save. That would be stupid and overpowering. Sounds to me like someone just jumped to conclusions just from reading an article and without having played the game. And of course Obs wouldn't reply to that. Maybe a Dev would come over here and say good ol' Jimmy Sterling doesn't know what he's talking about and leave it at that, but definitely not make a public statement saying: "Dear Mr. Sterling, You're full of it! Have a nice day" or something along those lines.

I don't think that's possible. If DS3 is a 20 hour long game, for example, with enemies gradually scaling in difficulty, can you possibly finish it with all 3 of your co-op teammates stuck in lvl 1 and starting equipment? I sincerely doubt it. Not being able to export a character from someone else's main campaign sounds about right, since they are tied to a certain save game. So you shouldn't be able to export him, grind him to lvl 999 and then return him with his new lvl and equipment to the same save. That would be stupid and overpowering. Sounds to me like someone just jumped to conclusions just from reading an article and without having played the game. And of course Obs wouldn't reply to that. Maybe a Dev would come over here and say good ol' Jimmy Sterling doesn't know what he's talking about and leave it at that, but definitely not make a public statement saying: "Dear Mr. Sterling, You're full of it! Have a nice day" or something along those lines.

Games should be like this: you dont have to play it in co-op if you want. And if your buddies want to use their level 1 character, they should. Why not? It

Edited by rafoca

The kind of co-op it seems Obsidian is doing is the kind that only works good if you play everytime with your friends. I mean... you wont play it alone, only with your friends, so they will feel like the characters are theirs to customize and control.

This kind of co-op wont be fun to be played randomly in co-op because players wont know what kind of weapons the character uses, what skills and everything else.

So, if its true, this isnt a good co-op at all. These days people have less and less time to play together at the same time all days. SO it isnt good at all to depend on your friends to go online so you can play again your own game with them.

Sacred 2 and Everquest: Champions of Norrath both allowed for very simple drop-in and drop-out of a secondary Created Character. This is not new technology. If they do not implement the ability to play with multiple Created Characters I know that I will not be playing it. Several of my friends and myself are excited as hell about this game, because we want to play it together. This is a make or break deal not being able to play our own character in multiplayer.

If I pay for the game I should be able to play MY character. People who do not own the game and want to see what the game is all about can be my sidekick. Please Obsidian read your boards. See what your fans want. Make it so.

oo

What does ANY of this has to do with the initial problem/argument?

:)

What are you people talking about.

Edited by C2B

Sacred 2 and Everquest: Champions of Norrath both allowed for very simple drop-in and drop-out of a secondary Created Character. This is not new technology. If they do not implement the ability to play with multiple Created Characters I know that I will not be playing it. Several of my friends and myself are excited as hell about this game, because we want to play it together. This is a make or break deal not being able to play our own character in multiplayer.

If I pay for the game I should be able to play MY character. People who do not own the game and want to see what the game is all about can be my sidekick. Please Obsidian read your boards. See what your fans want. Make it so.

oo

What does ANY of this has to do with the initial problem/argument?

:brows:

What are you people talking about.

Well this thread is about the lack of XP your companion would get from playing in Co-op mode. Even though the "sidekick" character he would be playing actually would get XP and gear, the player would walk away with nothing of his own. The reason for this is because so far the little information we have shows that we will be unable to play Co-op with Created Characters.

The reason my post is relevant to the initial problem/argument is that there have been other games in the past that allowed Created Characters to play in Multi-player mode, and I gave examples of the games that do. It seems that it would not be a difficult thing to add this feature in this game based upon it being used in previous games.

So far all of our information points to no Created Character Co-op. Once we see otherwise it's a different story.

So far all of our information points to no Created Character Co-op. Once we see otherwise it's a different story.

Noooo, it points against it.

What we know FOR SURE is that more information regarding multiplayer is withhold from the public. Thats what actually points to other multiplayer options. Heavily.

Let's put this very simply:

There is absolutely no feature Obsidian could possibly implementing, that would be more important than having people play as their own characters and enjoy the full breadth of gameplay in ALL COOP MODES. If there is some feature (like the AI) standing in the way of this, ditch that feature.

For example, you meet character X, who is supposed to join you, and can be controlled by a coop player. If there is already a coop player in the game, character X does not join you, or they do and become a 3rd member of your party. Whatever. This is the only thing I can imagine is causing a problem for them, and if it is, they need to seriously reconsider the decision we are hearing.

If the game doesn't ship until May, there is time to fix this still.

There is absolutely no feature Obsidian could possibly implementing, that would be more important than having people play as their own characters and enjoy the full breadth of gameplay in ALL COOP MODES. If there is some feature (like the AI) standing in the way of this, ditch that feature.

Has still nothing to do with anything.

We still don't know what the multiplayer will be about. Thats the point. More is to come.

We don't even know if it actually will look like this in the end. It isn't final. -.-

Edited by C2B

We still don't know what the multiplayer will be about. Thats the point. More is to come.

We don't even know if it actually will look like this in the end. It isn't final. -.-

I respectfully disagree. If the rumours were false, we'd at the very least have a comment from the developer about it. And even if they are false, it is still valuable, while there is still development time remaining, to make sure the developers know exactly how important a feature this is. So that way, if the rumour is false, we have lost nothing and we get what we want. If the rumour is true though, enough noise might cause some reconsideration, and a change of direction and save the game from mediocrity.

I respectfully disagree. If the rumours were false, we'd at the very least have a comment from the developer about it. And even if they are false, it is still valuable, while there is still development time remaining, to make sure the developers know exactly how important a feature this is. So that way, if the rumour is false, we have lost nothing and we get what we want. If the rumour is true though, enough noise might cause some reconsideration, and a change of direction and save the game from mediocrity.

They may have gotten the memo when it was all posted over the internet. Thanks.

Also the rumor is a rumor and uses something as basis that is incredibly vague.

Edit: Sorry, I'm not saying you don't have the right to complain. It's just that its way too early to complain.

Edited by C2B

Dude, chill out, I'm simply commenting on his post. Not on the situation at large. He's claiming drop in/drop out isn't possible with created characters. I'm just pointing out that it is.

It's probably right, considering that there's no character creation in the first place.

I think its less about creation and more about using their own leveled and skilled charachters.

Which is a pretty valid complaint. But again, no info on this one.

Edited by C2B

They may have gotten the memo when it was all posted over the internet. Thanks.

Also the rumor is a rumor and uses something as basis that is incredibly vague.

Edit: Sorry, I'm not saying you don't have the right to complain. It's just that its way too early to complain.

What exactly is this "complaining" you are speaking of? All anyone is saying in this thread is that *IF* this is true, then please reconsider, because that will ruin our experience with this game. No one is complaining, simply voicing their desires as a consumer.

You're right in that we don't know for sure. I don't know for sure that my daughter is going to pass her next test, but I don't wait until after she's written it to let her clearly know what my expectations are, and at what level I will be satisfied.

Let us say you are playing alone, controlling Lucas. Then you recruit the Archon mage. You are controlling Lucas and the Mage is AI controlled. Both Lucas and the Mage should get experience and level ups, right? Let us say that you play until both of you reach level five. Then someone jumps in to control the mage. Will she suddenly and magically not gain exp and level ups? I doubt it. I think you won't be able to export your characters, but they will get exp and levels in THAT particular save file.