Is this for real?

Let's put this very simply:

There is absolutely no feature Obsidian could possibly implementing, that would be more important than having people play as their own characters and enjoy the full breadth of gameplay in ALL COOP MODES. If there is some feature (like the AI) standing in the way of this, ditch that feature.

I agree here 100%. No one wants to be a red shirt/henchman atleast i don't. It would be like playing a merc in D2.

Hopefully there will be an entirely seperate multiplayer side or something. If not and we can't play our own character in co-op that would be bad imo. It would knock it down from a definate buy to a rental and maybe a buy.

Edited by rc deaths agent

Let us say you are playing alone, controlling Lucas. Then you recruit the Archon mage. You are controlling Lucas and the Mage is AI controlled. Both Lucas and the Mage should get experience and level ups, right? Let us say that you play until both of you reach level five. Then someone jumps in to control the mage. Will she suddenly and magically not gain exp and level ups? I doubt it. I think you won't be able to export your characters, but they will get exp and levels in THAT particular save file.

You are correct. The mage will still gain the xp and gear as normal, the argument is that the "someone who jumps in" is gaining nothing from it. It works out fine if your playing with someone who doesn't own the game or have his own character. The problem arises when someone who does own the game, has a character already built, and wants to play with his or her friends who also have a character built.

I don't know anyone who would want to play on another account, just to play as their friends henchman, when they could be playing and leveling up their own. That's what we mean by not getting experience and gear when playing on another account.

Let us say you are playing alone, controlling Lucas. Then you recruit the Archon mage. You are controlling Lucas and the Mage is AI controlled. Both Lucas and the Mage should get experience and level ups, right? Let us say that you play until both of you reach level five. Then someone jumps in to control the mage. Will she suddenly and magically not gain exp and level ups? I doubt it. I think you won't be able to export your characters, but they will get exp and levels in THAT particular save file.

You are correct. The mage will still gain the xp and gear as normal, the argument is that the "someone who jumps in" is gaining nothing from it. It works out fine if your playing with someone who doesn't own the game or have his own character. The problem arises when someone who does own the game, has a character already built, and wants to play with his or her friends who also have a character built.

I don't know anyone who would want to play on another account, just to play as their friends henchman, when they could be playing and leveling up their own. That's what we mean by not getting experience and gear when playing on another account.

Precisely. But even beyond that, if the game is on a single acocunt, can I even use the character of my choice there? Or am I, as the coop player, perpetually stuck playing whatever character happens to be in the main character's party? Even the ability to consistently play the same character, even if you can't export it, wouldn't be so bad. At least you'd be playing something consistent. You'd have your "own" character in someone else's game, and they could have their "own" in yours.

I guess all we can do is await an official explanation.

Less an explenation, more an announcement of the multiplayer.

Again, nothing about the MP was final in these builds. This was stated. By multiple previews.

Edited by C2B

I agree with Clockwerk completely on this, if they don't have multiplayer Sacred 2/Diablo 2 style, then this game will at best be a bargain bin pick up for me.

The only reason I was looking forward to this game and planning to get it day 1 is so that I can play it local co-op with friends, but I don't think any of my friends are interested in playing as my side-kick where all the gains and kept to my gamertag and my save file and they get to keep nothing when they walk away.

I was planning on pre-ordering this today but now that I see this I am going to hold off until further announcements.

I agree with Clockwerk completely on this, if they don't have multiplayer Sacred 2/Diablo 2 style, then this game will at best be a bargain bin pick up for me.

The only reason I was looking forward to this game and planning to get it day 1 is so that I can play it local co-op with friends, but I don't think any of my friends are interested in playing as my side-kick where all the gains and kept to my gamertag and my save file and they get to keep nothing when they walk away.

I was planning on pre-ordering this today but now that I see this I am going to hold off until further announcements.

I pre-ordered a little while ago because it's DS. Have to wait and see more details to confirm whether or not it's worthwhile keeping it pre-ordered. No custom character ability suggests no multiplayer. Sure there's co-op which is cool, but forcing story character roles is really lame. As always, more details needed.

I pre-ordered a little while ago because it's DS. Have to wait and see more details to confirm whether or not it's worthwhile keeping it pre-ordered. No custom character ability suggests no multiplayer. Sure there's co-op which is cool, but forcing story character roles is really lame. As always, more details needed.

From the STEAM description.

Players will be able to adventure by themselves, on the couch with friends, or online in a fully multiplayer experience

xbox.com

Features

■Offline players 1 - 2

■Offline co-op 1 - 2

■System Link 1 - 2

■Dolby Digital

Online features

■Online multiplayer 1 - 4

■Online co-op 1 - 4

■Content downloads

There will be multiplayer.

Features

■Offline players 1 - 2

■Offline co-op 1 - 2

■System Link 1 - 2

■Dolby Digital

Online features

■Online multiplayer 1 - 4

■Online co-op 1 - 4

■Content downloads

Thanks for grabbing that up.

Do content downloads mean possible DLC?

Edited by C2B

I have come to the conclusion that the multi-player is going to be awesome, all 4 companions in the party will be leveling up and getting gear so in theory if you only want to play with your friend, you start a game and never play by yourself or with anyone else, both players will experience everything the game has to offer to it's fullest extent. I was worried about multi-player for awhile cause I really want to be able to play this game with my wife but now that i've thought about it more I have complete faith that it is going to be a great experience for both of us!

I have come to the conclusion that the multi-player is going to be awesome, all 4 companions in the party will be leveling up and getting gear so in theory if you only want to play with your friend, you start a game and never play by yourself or with anyone else, both players will experience everything the game has to offer to it's fullest extent. I was worried about multi-player for awhile cause I really want to be able to play this game with my wife but now that i've thought about it more I have complete faith that it is going to be a great experience for both of us!

It only works if you play from the start to the end in co-op, always!!

It wont work if you decide to jump in your friend game, cause you wont be able to use your own character with your own gear etc.

It only works if you play from the start to the end in co-op, always!!

It wont work if you decide to jump in your friend game, cause you wont be able to use your own character with your own gear etc.

ya, well I'm ok with that as the main reason I'm excited about this game is because I'll get to play it with my wife. (which means no one will be nagging at me to pay attention to them instead of my game haha)

I can't really say much about co-op right now, but what I can say is that there's definitely some mis-interpretation going on about what the multiplayer is and isn't.

Personally (and this is my "gamer", not "game developer" opinion), I think that if you're looking for a fun, co-op ARPG to play with friends/family DSIII will satisfy that craving.

I think, even in the absence of concrete, info, certain things can be assumed to be true, because it would make so little sense for them not to be;

-> For 2-4 people to play the game through from start to finish and see their own characters advance.

-> For people to play hotseat coop in some manner.

-> For people to keep on playing even if their co-op friend departs.

Wouldn't make sense for any of these to not be possible.

I think, even in the absence of concrete, info, certain things can be assumed to be true, because it would make so little sense for them not to be;

-> For 2-4 people to play the game through from start to finish and see their own characters advance.

-> For people to play hotseat coop in some manner.

-> For people to keep on playing even if their co-op friend departs.

Wouldn't make sense for any of these to not be possible.

I'm not sure the first one of those can be assumed. If what I've read is true (and there isn't much) you have to control up to three other ai characters. I don't understand why Obsidian would tamper with the tried and tested arpg model and opt to add a Baldurs Gate strategy element, but it would make sense that in "co-op" you'd only be assuming the role of one of the AI characters and not entering the game as your own unique toon. This would coniside with the regrettable rumor circulating that in the "co-op" or "online multiplayer" portion of this game only the main character or host will garner any benefit from loot or exp. Again why Obsidian would be so bullish about doing something so obviously without thought is beyond my comprehension. Lionhead did the same thing with Fable 2 and people rioted. Obsidian has the luxury of being the first Dev to bring a legitimate arpg to the consoles and it seems like they're going out of their way to F it up. I love the art style too which makes their decisions seem that much more painful. Time will tell I suppose, however it would be really nice to have some concrete information.

On a side note, does anyone know if the pc version will support a controller?

Edited by lithographer

If what I've read is true (and there isn't much) you have to control up to three other ai characters. I don't understand why Obsidian would tamper with the tried and tested arpg model and opt to add a Baldurs Gate strategy element,

What? No, that's not the case. You control one guy. You can have human friends or AI henchmen-style friends, but it's not going to be squad combat. I think you've got completely the wrong impression somehow, so maybe we can wait for some real info to clear things up before making judgments.

If what I've read is true (and there isn't much) you have to control up to three other ai characters. I don't understand why Obsidian would tamper with the tried and tested arpg model and opt to add a Baldurs Gate strategy element,

What? No, that's not the case. You control one guy. You can have human friends or AI henchmen-style friends, but it's not going to be squad combat. I think you've got completely the wrong impression somehow, so maybe we can wait for some real info to clear things up before making judgments.

Agreed. It's a case of tagalongs who are 'possessed' in Co-Op play by friends as I read it. No squad control so you can't co-ordinate your attacks. Probably means henchmen will be left behind in single play unless there's quest specific interactions though. Definitely need more info.

Thanks for the response. This temporarily allays my worst fears. I think we all need more info. I just have such high hopes for this game I really want it to play like a diablo for the console (even though I'll play it on pc with my xbox pc controller)