Is this for real?

I just read something very disturbing on a dutch gaming site: multiplayer players won't gain any XP and other advanced on their character. Is this true? Please tell me it isn't! What's the point of the multiplayer then?

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

I've pretty much gathered this on other reviews too... This might be changed later, however. Obsidian hasn't commented on their multiplayer plans too much, and the reviewers DID play a pre-alpha version, so multiplayer might not have been in place 100%. My hope is that they will not only allow other players to get EXP in multiplayer, but will also allow players to play as characters they create. As I've said in another post, I think it would be the worst idea ever to limit multiplayer the same way Fable 2 did... Especially on a RPG series that has some of the best multiplayer for the genre (my opinion at least, hehe). No one wants to play as a lackey. =P That being said, however, Obsidian has said from the beginning that they planned on making this a great multiplayer title. Here's hoping they deliver on that. =)

I've pretty much gathered this on other reviews too... This might be changed later, however. Obsidian hasn't commented on their multiplayer plans too much, and the reviewers DID play a pre-alpha version, so multiplayer might not have been in place 100%. My hope is that they will not only allow other players to get EXP in multiplayer, but will also allow players to play as characters they create. As I've said in another post, I think it would be the worst idea ever to limit multiplayer the same way Fable 2 did... Especially on a RPG series that has some of the best multiplayer for the genre (my opinion at least, hehe). No one wants to play as a lackey. =P That being said, however, Obsidian has said from the beginning that they planned on making this a great multiplayer title. Here's hoping they deliver on that. =)

YES!! Fable 2 is the only game I know that it is better playing alone than co-op.

It seems Obsidian is doing the same with DS3. I can

YES!! Fable 2 is the only game I know that it is better playing alone than co-op.

Edited by C2B

It works that way for 2 player offline co-op. We still don't know how online multiplayer works.

We don't even know if that is the final or only way co-op works anyway.

I'm thinking Secret of Mana co-op type for offline. Let me give you an example:

-I'm playing the game on my own. Recruiting a Party member(Archon Mage). I have played enough to reach level 5 with my characters.

-My brother enters the room and asks if he can join in on the fun. He will be controlling the Archon Mage (lvl5). We play for two hours and we are now level 10. We can both equip our characters with dropped loot. But wait, my brother has soccer practice and needs to leave. I continue the game without him.

-I played from level 10-15 on my own.

-Bro comes back from practice, picks up controller and is now controlling level 15 Archon Mage.

This mode would be a good way to introduce a casual player to the game.

I also think we will have the usual 2 player co-op a la Champions of Norrath & BG: Dark Alliance.

Speculation? Yes.

It works that way for 2 player offline co-op. We still don't know how online multiplayer works.

-I'm playing the game on my own. Recruiting a Party member(Archon Mage). I have played enough to reach level 5 with my characters.

-My brother enters the room and asks if he can join in on the fun. He will be controlling the Archon Mage (lvl5). We play for two hours and we are now level 10. We can both equip our characters with dropped loot. But wait, my brother has soccer practice and needs to leave. I continue the game without him.

-Bro comes back from practice, picks up controller and is now controlling level 15 Archon Mage.

I also think we will have the usual 2 player co-op a la Champions of Norrath & BG: Dark Alliance.

Speculation? Yes.

Yeah. thats what I'm expecting too.At least for offline co-op.

Only thing we know is that there is hotseat co-op. We don't know what kind of MP there are overall. We dont' know how XP works in any MP mode. Anyone telling you otherwise is just as clueless as you.

I guess we need a FAQ here soon, too...

Speculation? Yes.

Even if that

Also Destructoid is the worst gaming related site. :ermm:

Does Jim Sterling's trashing of Alpha Protocol have anything to do with this?

Nope. It's their entire site. They were ok when they began "just" as a troll website. But they got increasingly worse.

And Jim Sterling himself. Well, he's the single worst video game journalist and only out to get as much attention as possible. Which is quite an accomplishment. And that was already this way before AP was released.

My personal hate with Destructoid goes back to early 2009.

Edited by C2B

Only a few lines in the Gamespot preview gave birth to so many children (news articles) resembling one another. I understand why people are worried and am skeptical about DS3's co-op mp being great but please...

Edited by funcroc

Only thing we know is that there is hotseat co-op. We don't know what kind of MP there are overall. We dont' know how XP works in any MP mode. Anyone telling you otherwise is just as clueless as you.

I guess we need a FAQ here soon, too...

I agree entirely +1. =) Anything anyone will say (including myself) about the multiplayer will be purely speculative and uninformed until Obsidian decides that it is ready to reveal what it has in mind. Take what people say about the multiplayer lightly. =P

That destructoid article is based purely on the original Gamespot article, which has yet to be substantiated. Again, it's the media biting off each other's articles and regurgitating them as usual.

That said, since the rumour is now pretty widespread it'd be nice to see Obsidian clarify it quickish.

That destructoid article is based purely on the original Gamespot article, which has yet to be substantiated. Again, it's the media biting off each other's articles and regurgitating them as usual.

That said, since the rumour is now pretty widespread it'd be nice to see Obsidian clarify it quickish.

I know. You are right. But the last time I saw this happening, it ended up being true. In fact, the examples are very similar. Fable 2, I am looking at you.

But, as you said, since the bad news is spread all around, it is time to Obsidian clarify this. Part of me want to believe that Obsidian is not taking a step back in the Dungeon Series by doing this abnormal co-op.

Ok but the crazy thing is that why isn't Obsidian saying that the article from Destructoid is false ? Unless I missed something somewhere, they haven't said a word on multiplayer.

Their current plan is to keep quiet about it (like several previewers said). We'll get more information later.

Firstly, I understand that none of the MP details are confirmed. That said, I'd like to comment on the speculation, just to let Obsidian know how I as a potential consumer feel about it.

This relates directly, to the offline co-op mode.

Please understand, that I, like many older gamers, play offline co-op almost exclusively unless the game supports a mix of off and online. Paramount to any game of this sort, as you know, is the ability to develop your character and be rewarded for the time you invest.

A failure to allow the offline coop player to develop their own character is unconscionable. Not only is there no good technical reason for this not to be allowed, it would literally kill sales for anyone who's primary interest is that. For me, if this feature is not included, this goes from a pre-ordered game, that I will be sneezing about to all of my friends who game, to a non-purchase. It is that big of an issue. I will not pay for Fable 2 again. Or Deathspank. Which is a shame, but go ahead and check my history. My username is my Gamer Tag. My wife and I purchased Deathspank excited to play coop. I think we played for minutes before we stopped because she wasn't gaining anything playing as his wizard sidekick.

It was boring and unfair.

Compare this to the time we spent playing Sacred 2. Which for all intents and purposes was a broken and somewhat lame product. That should be edifying. It's all about grinding and looting and growing.

So should this game ship without the ability for 2 offline players to develop their characters together, unfortunately, this will literally go from my most anticipated title this year, to completely off my radar. That's hard to say, because I was incredibly excited for this game. I've been waiting for something like it since Baldurs Gate on the original Xbox.

Cheers and I hope this rumour proves false.