RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Brian Fargo said that Icewind Dale is his favorite of the Infinity games. I didn't realize he was such a cool dude :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

But BG2 has more awesome spells, I'm confused.

To drop into Volo mode here for a second, BG2 > lots of space > IWD.

I don't think IWD's bad, I just think that BG2 is better in every conceivable way. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I can conceive of a number of ways Icewind Dale is better. For one thing if you're playing an extreamly religious but lazy priest who doesn't want to spend half the day digging graves for the enemies he's slain. Just lay them in a decent position, flick a few times with your foot, oh look it's snowing god's going to sort it out. 'Our thanks mighty [insert diety here], may we never have to use a shovel ever again'. Or if you're playing a rogue with hay fever, not much of a pollen count in the dale lands so there's much less risk of being discovered by an embarrasing medical condition. Also if you don't like lots of conversation or story Icewind Dale lets you jump from dungeon to dungeon fairly easily. And finally being able to create all six party members was a nice touch, especially for someone like me who wants to be able to do absolutely everything but can't with a single character (the multiplayer option in BG wasn't really intended to be used as such).

that's exactly what he liked about IWD ;) one of the things, that is.

what confuses me is that nobody here brought Torment up yet o:)

on a side note, I only just now realized BioWare didn't publish BG/BG2, I had no idea Interplay was such a big part of the development of Infinity games. I actually thought they only did IWD and Torment. how could I have missed that? :p

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

"I only just now realized BioWare didn't publish BG/BG2, I had no idea Interplay was such a big part of the development of Infinity games. I"

Huh? BIO developed the Bgs which means they did most of the work on them. Interplay/BIS published them ... whcih means they threw the CDs in stores and printed copies. LOL The only BISers who actually deserves some real credit for helping with BG development is FU. And, the engine was also BIO's work with somw twinking by BIS for PST.

Interplay/BIS was a SMALL part of the development of the BGs but a HUGE aprt of the publishing of the BGs... whcih makes since they were the publiusher not the developer. Duh.

P.S. IWD did NOTHING better than BG2. Still a fun game in its own right.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

they were the publiusher not the developer.

that's what i meant. Brian said Interplay had had to pay royalties to Bio off BG sales. I didn't know Interplay actually owned BG

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

that's exactly what he liked about IWD ;) one of the things, that is.

what confuses me is that nobody here brought Torment up yet :)

I find liking the lack of awesome spells somewhat counterproductive, but to each their own.

As for Torment, the combat isn't anything to write home about. Could have used more bizarre reality-bending special abilities, MotB did that part pretty well incorporating your unique "condition" into the gameplay.

my thoughts:

1. Torment

2. BG 2

3. Icewind Dale 2

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i agree, but i thought we were just talking infinity engine games so i put that out there, but yeah, BG2 is more of a rpg/dungeon crawl, whilst planescape torment is like rpg meets interactive fiction

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

bleh, IWD is the ultimate dungeon crawler. I'd say ToEE is somewhat close if it wasn't for the awful bugs. if we talking infinity games, IWD2>IWD>Torment>BG2 for me (never finished BG1 and Throne of Bhaal was somewhat disappointing).

by the way, anyone know a good source of information on the "black hound project"? (or w/e it's called) I tried asking Josh Sawyer but he never replied

Walsingham said:

bleh, IWD is the ultimate dungeon crawler. I'd say ToEE is somewhat close if it wasn't for the awful bugs. if we talking infinity games, IWD2>IWD>Torment>BG2 for me (never finished BG1 and Throne of Bhaal was somewhat disappointing).

by the way, anyone know a good source of information on the "black hound project"? (or w/e it's called) I tried asking Josh Sawyer but he never replied

Invokes 'Ramza' ;)

For replayability, I probably preferred Bg2, for greatest 'impact' PS:T and for "casual dungeon crawling" IWD/IWD2. Despite being reskinned RTS games, they managed to cater for different interests. Iirc, IWD2 was the first post 1999 crpg where silly looking headwear was completely optional.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Iirc, IWD2 was the first post 1999 crpg where silly looking headwear was completely optional.

haha, that's a big plus ;)

Walsingham said:

i also remember that IWD2 had a decent approximation of 3rd edition D&D, or is that wrong?

ToEE obviously did, but that game was a dungeon crawler through and through... though I've been on a crpg binge lately so maybe I'll replay it soon and see if my feelings have changed.

currently im partway through BG2, next up is icewind dale 2, and after that I might do ToEE. all that and dead space 2 should keep me busy until the end of march at least

Relic is closing the Company of Heroes Online beta on March 31st. The announcement was cryptic, but it was obvious that they weren't making money, and it's a notoriously tough game to get into as a n00b in competitive play. I'd sunk about

sonsofgygax.JPG

I tried COH Tales of Valor in some noob-on-noob LAN, Monty. You'r right about it being tough. There seems to be so much involved in the 5 different ways you can upgrade each unit, veterancy, different weaponry, special abilities, air strikes, etc., in addition to simple counters, I just can't make head or tails of anything going on in battle even after a few hours.

I don't think IWD's bad, I just think that BG2 is better in every conceivable way. :ermm:

IWD has better spell animations, music and avatars.

And much prettier scenery.

And IWD2 is great for what it was, IE going out with a bang.

1.13 killed off Ja2.