New Previews

"voiced pc" is ok. Its a viable design choice and it suits an action oriented game with predefined charachters like DS3.

A game with voiced PC will always have less dialogue then one that doesn't. IMO it's unnecessary, and diverts development budget from more important aspects of RPGs. Also 'voiced pc' and 'cinematic' are very much tied together, you can't have 'cinematic' without 'voiced pc' and 'voiced pc' leads to 'cinematic' design.

When did Alvin become Associate Producer of Obsidian Entertainment?

And in the case of an action focused game like Dungeon Siege 3 the amount of dialog isn't that important? :blink: We are not speaking about Torment here. Also no. I can turn your argument very much around and say that you CAN have a voiced pc without actually beeing cinematic. Thats a pretty meaningless analogy anyway, sorry. Ever heard of silent films. Are they not "cinematic"? o:)

A game with voiced PC will always have less dialogue then one that doesn't

But will they be better? I mean, you practically can't sense the irony or sarcasm and you're answers are lack of emotions (exception: Planescape: Torment, but this game is ideal). I think you can really get into your character when he's having his own voice - like in Alpha Protocol. For me it's a big advantage.

Sorry for my english, it's not so good.

And in the case of an action focused game like Dungeon Siege 3 the amount of dialog isn't that important? o:)

Unless it's a Hack n Slash, the amount of dialogue is important. But it's just not dialogue:

diverts development budget from more important aspects of RPGs

If you think only dialogue is effected, you mad. NPC dialogue, is just one thing it affects, let's look at another aspect, length. Compare ME to DA, compare AP to F:NV, notice something else..

Also no. I can turn your argument very much around and say that you CAN have a voiced pc without actually beeing cinematic. Thats a pretty meaningless analogy anyway, sorry. Ever heard of silent films. Are they not "cinematic"? o:)

Nope never heard of silent films. :blink: But do you really think that when developers(Bio/Obs) talk about 'cineamtic design' they are envisioning that? :lol:

Not having a 'voiced PC' means devs aren't going to go down the 'cinematic' path.

But will they be better?

Depends on the dev, with Obs, yes they will be.

I think you can really get into your character when he's having his own voice - like in Alpha Protocol. For me it's a big advantage.

Not for me, unlike others though it doesn't cause me to disassociate with the character, it just bothers me since I feel that the money could be better spent in other areas. But what if you hate the VA?(ME: MShep hate AP:Mike hate) Then all you'll be thinking about is how much this character you are playing annoys you. To me the possible negatives outweigh the positives(which for me are none)

When did Alvin become Associate Producer of Obsidian Entertainment?

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?stor...mp;id=620172119

Edit: http://www.facebook.com/UbisoftAustralia/p...182944245079924

So I'm not that blind it's a recent event. Anyway congrats Alvin and cheers funcroc for that.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

And in the case of an action focused game like Dungeon Siege 3 the amount of dialog isn't that important? :blink:

Unless it's a Hack n Slash, the amount of dialogue is important. But it's just not dialogue:

But it IS a Hack n Slash if you didn't get the memo. The focus is on co-op and combat.

Also F:NV is a bad example. There is more dialouge spoken than written. Which in turn wasn't that good for the game.

Edited by C2B

And in the case of an action focused game like Dungeon Siege 3 the amount of dialog isn't that important? :ermm:

But it IS a Hack n Slash if you didn't get the memo. The focus is on co-op and combat.

Sorry, it's not a Hack n Slash, it fits the ARPG fold. Titan Quest, Torchlight and Diablo 2 are Hack n Slash, try again.

Also F:NV is a bad example. There is more dialouge spoken than written. Which in turn wasn't that good for the game.

:facepalm:

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Sorry, it's not a Hack n Slash, it fits the ARPG fold. Titan Quest, Torchlight and Diablo 2 are Hack n Slash, try again.

:facepalm:

1. ARPG fold? What? Its clearly focused on combat. Multiple previewers have said that and a few were disappoonted there wasn't more to it in the preview build. Furthermore shown dialogs so far were well written but not complex. It also clearly goes the way of the old Dark Alliance games.

2. Why facepalm? It's actually true. The main charachters silent lines are way less than the spoken ones of the NPC's. The majority of a big script was spoken. Which lead to reused voice actors. There it should have been more text only lines.

Edited by C2B

I now have a question for Nathaniel : we were discussing auto-aim for the consoles, and I think it was implied that PC wouldn't need it because of the mouse. But I realize, won't we need it on the mouse & keyboard too? I mean, the gameplay is based on four types of attacks that are easily accessible, but the mouse only has three buttons at most, so I imagine that the abilities will be linked to keyboard keys, and in that case I suppose auto-aim will also be needed?

Quite nice! And I think the faces in this video look a bit better actually, Katarina (is that her name?) looks pretty cool in particular.

I don't think she was in that video. Katarina is the woman with the 'Corset of Holding +2'. In that video, the witch boss is called Vera and the woman we free from her cage is the Archon, Anjali. To which one were you referring?

And yeah, that video is nice. We apparently see another power of the two-handed stance (when Lucas strikes the ground and creates a cone of energy before him), but I still can't figure out what those icons on the right of Lucas's portrait are, they seem to change randomly.

Also, nice to see the inventory. Apparently, you can't see all you items in one go, they're all separated into distinct categories, which I suppose depend on the class and character. Lucas has one-handed and two-handed swords, shields, breastplates, pauldrons, bracers and boots, and apparently rings and amulets. It seems to be a really clear system, easy to navigate into.

Edited by Sannom