Am I Missing Something With Assault Rifles?

So I just finished my first-ever playthrough, Hard/Freelancer, and focused mostly on Stealth, Pistols, and Assault Rifles - maxed out Pistols and Assault Rifles, got I think Master Concealment in Stealth, and threw a few points elsewhere.

Assault rifles saved my bacon in Saudi Arabia, because my pistol hit like a three year-old girl there, but by the time I was halfway through the game, I didn't need anything BUT the pistol. The assault rifle - I used the starting one the whole time - does alright, I supposed, but once you've got the pistol's Critical Shot and, especially, Chain Shot, it just seems faster to headshot everybody than try to fight recoil and whatnot with the AR, especially given how the Focus Aim or whatever skill sucks on the PC.

Am I missing something about them? Should I stop rolling with Hamilton ARs and pick up a Rittergrupen or something? Or is the Pistols line just that godly?

It looks like the assault rifles where in game only for fun. It's highly recommended to use pistols - the hole game is constructed just for them.

Shotgun is also fun.

Fastest is still Martial Arts though. By far.

Edited by C2B

You don't need Assault Rifles, just like you don't need Pistols, Shotguns or SMGs. One weapon skill is really enough, and it depends on how you wanna play really.

That said, the Pistols are overpowered mostly due to Chain Shot. And like you say, the Assault Rifles kinda lose pull because Focused Aim is just a boring special skill. But really, the Rifles are quite powerful on their own and have a huge range.

Shotguns are the most fun to use if you ask me.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Chain Shot is the only overpowered weapon skill. If you only used ARs until the end game you would have seen that they are a very useful and effective weapon throughout; it's simply that with CS, the Pistol is too powerful and too fun.

To be honest, I don't even use Chain Shot all that often - I think the only time I 'spammed' it was on a boss fight in Russia. The ability to line up critical headshots, from cover, without ever exposing yourself, is what makes pistols so ridiculously good in my book.

Then again, I'm starting to think that stealth completely breaks the game regardless of what weapon you use.

Edited by Molotov