FO: NV (DLC)

Rosbjerg

- Companions repeating the same lines over and over again. Drove me nuts original.gif

I've only had Chalky-boy for 90 minutes & he's already driving me crazy with that. Not as bad as Cass but yea... :D I've had him on Passive and I've noticed he doesn't seem to auto-shoot when I go into Caution. I don't know if that's normal/a change or some random glitch I have, but I like it.

I didn't get DM, but I'm glad they're doing different approaches to the DLC's...something for every player or whatever.

The .45 Auto is awesome. Being a pistol/sniper type, I love having a new pistol. And it has a silencer! Whoop.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just finished it and I am pretty happy with it though it didn't leave me with the same feeling of "damn... that's just awesome" feeling that the Dead Money ending did. Though they obviously try for very different things.

Think the real star here is Zion itself. Really had fun exploring it, thought it was very well done. The ending slides were also satisfying and it pains me to no end that "journalists" still don't seem to give a crap about the agency of the player. Pisses me off that so little about it is mentioned generally speaking.

On the other hand, while I liked the NPCs, I think both Joshua and Daniel could've used a bit more "oomph". I really like the direction they took with Joshua, sorta pushing him away from the old Hanged Man concepts a lot, but I still really find it hard to connect Joshua in Honest Hearts with the stories of the Burned Man from the Legion and Hanlon in New Vegas. I guess it's partially due to that Honest Hearts is still its "own thing" and Joshua has moved on, but the fanboy in me really wanted more connections and war-stories from the Legion days. It feels built up quite a bit in the main game and it just felt like there could've been more of a resolution to Joshua's character as it relates to the main campaign so to speak.

Also, I enjoyed that they highlighted some different guns in the DLC as well. Coming up against enemies with Brush Guns and Anti-materiel rifles can hurt a lot. The Yao-Gui's were one of my fav additions that Fallout 3 did enemy wise and glad to see them back here, feels like it makes sense.

I wonder if the enemies in the DLC are scaled at all?

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I wonder if the enemies in the DLC are scaled at all?

Well, since I went in at lvl 4 (I'm now lvl6 w/my lowerxp mod active) and I've yet to see any White Leg carrying AMR's, Brush Guns, or burning swords, I'd say yes, yes they are. I'd guess it's similar to the vanilla game where at certain chr. lvls they up their gear. Not sure what those points are tho...maybe lvl 9 or 15ish. All they've had in my game is 9mm/10mm SMG's, various shotguns, and pistols, war clubs, machete's, etc. Once in a while one has the .45 Auto. I plan on doing another run with a high lvl chr at some point.

I've explored most of the new map now, minus a couple caves I'll go back to a bit later. Running up to see Daniel now I guess. No clue how much more there is after that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yep, enemie equipment is scalled by level. Few folks said that it is stupid to see tribals with Anti-Materiel Rifle and stuff, but I actually like this. Removes at least *a little bit* of cliche tribals and makes them more of a serious treat (like the story is making them to). It's also ok-ish explained in the game, why this happens, so I don't really mind.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Played a little more yesterday. Gave up after two crashes. I think I played for maybe 30 minutes all in all. I still like it, but those crashes are so tiresome.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Heh, was the same by me. Game crashed and I switched over to Witcher 2. At this speed, it will take a while until I am done with the DLC.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Actually didn't have any problems with Honest Hearts crashing at all though Dead Money crashed quite a bit for me. Think the buggiest thing that happened was when some enemies sorta got stuck in deep water and I couldn't kill them off properly. Seems to be something strange with deep water and combat in these games. Doesn't seem to work.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Reduced LOD, whatever that is, and no longer use quick save.

I wonder if the quick save thing is something to do with STEAM? I have no idea. Just wildly speculating.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hm. Possible that it crashs on area loading only because of autosave? I'll guess it's worth a try. Will check it out this evening, if I can find the time.

I must say I was extremely disappointed with the absence of follow through on any of the characters (as has already been mentioned in this thread). These were very powerful people with powerful themes. Yet where was the story?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Do any of these DLCs affect the main game in any way?

Are there any new dialogue options with Caesar or other Legion clowns?

Similarly, does the other DLC with Father Elijah has any affect on the BoS in the main game?

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I must say I was extremely disappointed with the absence of follow through on any of the characters (as has already been mentioned in this thread). These were very powerful people with powerful themes. Yet where was the story?

Yeah I feel as though there was clearly a story and they reference it, they just never let us participate in it. You're thrown in to the end of some conflict and just have to solve it as if it were just another side quest of the main game.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Do any of these DLCs affect the main game in any way?

Are there any new dialogue options with Caesar or other Legion clowns?

Similarly, does the other DLC with Father Elijah has any affect on the BoS in the main game?

After Dead Money, you can talk with Veronica about Father Elijah, if you found some letter stuff. Honest Hearts has no influence on the main game, as far as I know.

Completed it last night.

I can see why, if you're into story, that it might be kind of meh/disappointing. Feels rushed because it's "here do this" and then suddenly "bang you're done now", but I dunno, it seems like they did fairly well with what they made/had. To me it felt like a mini-version of the main game and I didn't feel much different about that either. It was the side character stories that I liked so much (companions, Ringo, Boyd, 1st Recon, Misfits etc)...the main quest in NV and their head honchos (Legion/NCR/House) never really gave me any joy. Same thing with HH. I'd love to be able to go back to main game and encounter FollowsChalk in Vegas or something, that would be a cool touch.

Course, I don't have all the FO "lore" building up expectations, either. Mine's a complete knows-no-lore of HH. My thoughts are that RPG's in general can be very good with thinking up characters/making them come to life (Obsidian's strength, imo) but for whatever reason tends to fall short on bring all those things together into a grand plot/conclusion. Whether it's time, engine limitations, certain limitations about story in a video game format, or whatever, I dunno...just feels that way to me in many RPG's, long or short.

Anyhow, I enjoyed HH a lot and I'd give it 7/10. The new gear/weapons were a lot of fun, imo, and gives me a reason to go back with new characters. I liked jumping into it long before I had done much in the MQ of the vanilla game. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much if I was level 28+. Next time I'm going in at lvl 10 instead of lvl4, tho. :p Oh and I did have a few crashes, but it wasn't bad for me.

Seeing all of these issues with this game, yet again, makes me glad I don't bother buying DLCs until they become a GOTY package and have all of their kinks worked out.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Played some more last night, and it made me realize that I have only exited the game gracefully ONCE. I always end up with a crash that forces me to quit playing whether I want to or not.

But it's very good so far. I've mostly just walked around and explored, and every now and then I follow a quest marker when they are close. I've found five of the survival caches without searching for them so I guess the last one will be a bitch to find.

I'm doing this DLC with a character specialized in explosives (100, baby!), but it really sucks. I only have 22 in guns, but I am forced to use guns anyhow. My thrown explosives never reach the enemies before they've turned me into cheese. My grenade launcher is so slow that the enemies rush me and when the grenade finally hits, I always blow my own legs off. I have a missile launcher, but.. I don't like using it. It feels like hunting mosquitoes with a shotgun.

So Sniper rifle, brush gun and .45 machine gun it is for me. My sights wobble like crazy.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

grenade machinegun baby

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

If it just wouldn't eat up grenades that fast. :>

/Edit: Heh, that's pretty much what's missing. A White Leg with a grenade machinegun. It's tempting to create a modification for this...

Edited by Lexx

Can't edit my old post anymore, so I do some horrible double post. :>

I've finally finished Honest Hearts now. Despite the thin story and the fetch-quests, I like it quite a lot. Needed approx 7 to 8 hours (with exploring, not plain-quest time), which is roughly the same time I needed for Dead Money.

I like the gameworld, the exploration and the new stuff that was added. There could be more dialog in the DLC, but beside this it was fine for me.

It's obviously that HH is made with exploration in mind and I don't mind that. It's quite a lot different than Dead Money and I don't think it's a problem if not everyone likes every DLC, as they differ a lot in style and all. I am pretty sure that the next two DLCs will feel a lot different as well, with a totally different subject (my wild guess: Old World Blues will be more about scientific things and technological item crafting).

Graphic-wise I like Zion as well. Now after playing HH for a few hours, I find the Mojave to be pretty drab, heh.

I liked the endgame-slides too. This time there was more text and more slides than in Dead Money. What I didn't liked was the part after that: You are teleported in front of the cave that leads back to the Mojave and in front of you is the locker with Daniel and Grahams items. Sawyer said that this is a gift of the two-- but I really wished the game would have said that as well. Either in a mini-dialog where one NPC says "yadda-yadda thanks for ye help, here take that turf!" or even if it would have been just a simple letter with the text "Thanks, here some stuff -Daniel / Graham" on the footlocker. I would have felt more happy about it.

So much about it... For me, HH is worth the 10 euro.

What I didn't liked was the part after that: You are teleported in front of the cave that leads back to the Mojave and in front of you is the locker with Daniel and Grahams items. Sawyer said that this is a gift of the two-- but I really wished the game would have said that as well. Either in a mini-dialog where one NPC says "yadda-yadda thanks for ye help, here take that turf!" or even if it would have been just a simple letter with the text "Thanks, here some stuff -Daniel / Graham" on the footlocker. I would have felt more happy about it.

Yeah, the chest feels cheesy. But supposedly the 'gift' is for/because of peace-players who otherwise wouldn't get those items...at least not without a ton of reverse pickpocketing, which is something I don't personally do (my chrs. usually aren't good enough to do it anyway). So I appreciate the fact I can get them w/out having to kill the NPC's in question.