Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Oblarg

Yeah, it's not on a computer or a console, but I need to rant.

The game itself was not bad. The puzzles were interesting, the combat mechanics were fleshed out from the first two in the series (though normal attacks still outscale psynergy - you'd think they'd fix that by the third game in the series), and it was plenty long. However...

That was the worst ****ing plot I have seen in an RPG in ****ing ages. I mean, from the very beginning your characters' motivations throughout the game are about as clear as mud (it's not at all clear what you're supposed to be doing, as if the writers had about fifty different ideas for possible dilemmas for you to fix and decided to introduce all of them and resolve none of them), and there's an absolutely horrid bit of lampshading about an hour in where they basically tell you "everything you do for the first half of the game is going to be play right into the bad guys' hands," despite which you do just that. And then they don't even bother to ****ing end it - they cram about five plot twists into the last ten minutes of gameplay, and then just cut to credits. They even bothered to tack on a hamfisted cliffhanger in the epilogue after the credits, despite the fact that there were enough unresolved plot threads already to fill about three sequels.

Honestly, what the hell.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Yeah, it's not on a computer or a console, but I need to rant.

The game itself was not bad. The puzzles were interesting, the combat mechanics were fleshed out from the first two in the series (though normal attacks still outscale psynergy - you'd think they'd fix that by the third game in the series), and it was plenty long. However...

That was the worst ****ing plot I have seen in an RPG in ****ing ages. I mean, from the very beginning your characters' motivations throughout the game are about as clear as mud (it's not at all clear what you're supposed to be doing, as if the writers had about fifty different ideas for possible dilemmas for you to fix and decided to introduce all of them and resolve none of them), and there's an absolutely horrid bit of lampshading about an hour in where they basically tell you "everything you do for the first half of the game is going to be play right into the bad guys' hands," despite which you do just that. And then they don't even bother to ****ing end it - they cram about five plot twists into the last ten minutes of gameplay, and then just cut to credits. They even bothered to tack on a hamfisted cliffhanger in the epilogue after the credits, despite the fact that there were enough unresolved plot threads already to fill about three sequels.

Honestly, what the hell.

So its Golden Sun 1?

Just wait till the sequel resolves the plot.

i didnt play the sequels, but golden sun 1 was wicked awesome back when it came out, I have fond memories of playing it between classes back when i first started college

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i didnt play the sequels, but golden sun 1 was wicked awesome back when it came out, I have fond memories of playing it between classes back when i first started college

You should play the second one at the very least - great game.

The newest one was, overall, enjoyable, but the plot had absolutely no closure at all.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

The newest one was, overall, enjoyable, but the plot had absolutely no closure at all.

So didn't Golden Sun 1. In fact it was worse there. For around a year I seriously thought that my game just bugged out in the middle.

Edited by C2B

So didn't Golden Sun 1. In fact it was worse there. For around a year I seriously thought that my game just bugged out in the middle.

Nah, there was some closure in GS1, even though it was a clear cliffhanger. It was much more cleanly done than the end of Dark Dawn.

Nah, there was some closure in GS1, even though it was a clear cliffhanger. It was much more cleanly done than the end of Dark Dawn.

What closure?

What was closed at all? You beat two of your enemies but you were literary in the middle of your quest.

What closure?

What was closed at all? You beat two of your enemies but you were literary in the middle of your quest.

Your quest was to beat those two enemies. The only cliffhanger was the introduction of Felix as a new enemy, but then he jumps off the lighthouse anyway.

Bah, stupid internet causing doubleposts.

Edited by Oblarg

i remember thinking my game was glitched too, it ended at what I thought was the 50% mark.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

What closure?

Your quest was to beat those two enemies. The only cliffhanger was the introduction of Felix as a new enemy, but then he jumps off the lighthouse anyway.

No your quest was to prevent the activation of the lighthouses. Which was in no way over, especially with Alex still around.

What closure?

No your quest was to prevent the activation of the lighthouses. Which was in no way over, especially with Alex still around.

Felix was the one with the stones, so he was pretty much the only loose end, especially because at that point you really didn't know just how deeply involved Alex was.