Dragon Age 2

Rosbjerg

I'd go as far as say that he's part of A target demographic. I think it's pretty much a given that they are targeting some of the god of war demographic, as well.

Wait, what?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

earlier i said there was no way i was going to buy Dead Space 2, and yet now I've preordered it... why? two reasons: 1) it's getting some good/great advance reviews which got me intrigued, 2) the ps3 version comes with a copy of dead space ignition AND extraction if you preorder. It doesnt hurt that I liked the first dead space either...

so it turns out I'll be getting that godawful armor for dragon age 2 after all...

now onto the marketing analysis: I'm a pretty hardcore video game consumer, I buy, on average, at least 3 full priced games every years, and in recent years that number has been closer to 10. I also buy about 5-15 bargain priced games each year.

so what do i think of things like the armor cross promotions? I think they succeed in making a person who is contemplating both games contemplate them both a little harder. Thats it, but honestly, from a marketing perspective, the more seconds spent in contemplation of a title the better, it doesnt matter if I buy the title right away "omg free armour must buy!!!!!" but what matters is that it makes me think about it and keep both titles in my head longer, it's branding.

Now what do I think of giving away big bonus's to preorders? I hate it because it's occasionally tempting enough for me to stop contemplating and actually preorder. A bonus along the lines of two free 10 dollar games with my preorder? thats a pretty tempting bonus. A "free" character... that pisses me off mightily, but I ended up caving and preordering (mostly because I had a gift certificate that I needed to spend though).

So i think pre-order bonus' of all kinds are doing what is intended: branding, and giving all the people who are on the fence just enough of a nudge to hop over.

side note: is there a market overlap between fans of dead space and fans of dragon age? absolutely. I can't imagine anyone seriously questioning this. As I said above, I'm a fairly hardcore video game consumer, I either buy at full price, buy at bargain, or seriously consider buying, any and all titles which get "good" or "great" reviews from the major outlets and from people on these boards. So in a year I will buy games of all sorts, so long as they are considered great or worthwhile games. Why do I do this? Because I like video games. I don't just like rpgs, I don't just like action games. I like good games. I tend to lean heavily towards some genres, but like in film I don't only watch horror films, I watch films of every genre. It's the art form (both games and film) which is of interest to me, the advancement of design over the years (having been playing for 20+ years now), and the fact that games are just a goddamn fun way to pass the time.

also, this is probably deserving of its own thread but: I like games because they are the only form of art right now that my generation is getting to see the birth and growth of. Imagine being born in the year 1920 and living 80 years. You got to watch the birth and growth of film, television, radio, and rock music. Thats pretty goddamn awesome. I won't get that, I was born in 83, so all I get to watch is the birth and growth of video games (and the internet! and maybe some future art/tech that we don't really have right now), and I'm gonna cherish that and really pay attention, because in 60 years I want to be able to tell my grandkids all about how awesome it was to play super mario bros. on xmas morning when I was little, and then kick their asses in whatever crazy virtual reality shooty game we'll all be playing.

and for people who say my grandkids won't give a damn, well, i disagree because when I meet old people who can tell my about when they saw casablanca in the theaters I certainly give a damn.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

the ps3 version comes with a copy of dead space ignition AND extraction if you preorder.

Actually ignition is them giving you a key to download it. I've had ignition a few weeks for pre-ordering DS2.

Can't wait for Extraction, that's why I'm glad I'm following this franchise on PS3.

yeah for sure its one of the times that I'm glad I own all the consoles and a gaming rig, rpgs on PC, action games on Ps3, shooters on xbox... plus random incentives for owning some games on certain platforms over others

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I buy, on average, at least 3 full priced games every years

Sorry to take this out of context, but I buy that, and more, games every year, and have never ever considered myself hardcore. Especially compared to the amount of games people around here play. Or is it just the act of buying them at full price which makes one hardcore? :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I used to buy 3 full-priced games every month, next day I'd gotten the paycheck.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'd like, buy 1 full-price game A YEAR. 2 in a great year.

(well, I guess unless you count full priced Telltale Games Seasons as a full-priced game too, even if it's about half the price)

I am so not a hardcore gamer I guess.

2010 it went to Alpha Protocol.

I pretty much always wait for the price drop. And with DLC, well, just have to wait till the collection, right? :)

2011 it probably will be The Witcher II.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

There ain't defination of hardcore gamer but I'd say he buy few games each month on average (don't have to be full priced) and plays most of 'em (note, based on recent study on archivements, not even the hardcore gamers finish their games all the time.. or at least they buy way more games then they actually finish 'em). Personally I consider myself as a hardcore gamer, who finish at least 95% of the games I own. Before Steam holiday sales I used to do several runs on each game, but my unplayed games catalogue started to bloat like dough, so I try to finish at least few new games each month. Obviously good (or great) games still deserve multiple runs, like most recently Fallout New Vegas. Based on tracking data, I'd say I average about 3,5 hours gaming per day. Don't have time anymore on more fancy stuff like speed running, pistol only, ghosting or ironman runs.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I'd like, buy 1 full-price game A YEAR. 2 in a great year.

(well, I guess unless you count full priced Telltale Games Seasons as a full-priced game too, even if it's about half the price)

I am so not a hardcore gamer I guess.

2010 it went to Alpha Protocol.

I pretty much always wait for the price drop. And with DLC, well, just have to wait till the collection, right? :)

2011 it probably will be The Witcher II.

See, the real reason you don't like DLC is that you are a cheapskate. :)

If a game interests me, I pick it up when I see it. As I'm pretty current on the games industry, I generally pick up games when they come out. Sometimes, what I read about a game doesn't initially rise my interest, I can pick it up significantly later if something changes my mind - this is what happened with, say, Mass Effect.

Sure, sometimes when I see something like Arkham Asylum for 20e, like I did in October, I'll pick it up, but mostly I just follow the above pattern.

In recent years, the amount of yearly purchases has gone up, so I think I picked up around 6-7 last year. I've never considered myself a hardcore gamer, though, and I can go for weeks at a time without booting a game up once (I haven't played anything this year, so far.)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I bought Risen, Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, Gothic trilogy set, PES 2011, FM 2011, Victoria 2, Gamebiz 3, Eschalon II, half a dozen GOG games, and maybe I've forgotten something here.

Man. That's around 250 euro. At least I got my money's worth out of most of them.

I try to limit myself to one full priced game a month. If there is nothing great coming out that month, I'll usually even pay off a pre-order. I also tend to trade in a couple games a year, and I don't really count the games I buy with that credit. Basically if I spend less that $30, I don't count it :)

Lets see. WoW costs me $180.00/year ($15.00 x 12) and last year was a banner year for me wrt buying games. Bought FO:NV, Torchlight, Borderlands and BG1 of which I didnt finish any. Guess Im not hardcore. ;(

All only games that have interested me so far this year are Diablo III and Dues Ex: HR.

wow, out of that whole post the only thing that got discussed was how many games a year need to be purchased to be considered a hardcore gamer...

how disappointing.

oh well I'll play too, a hardcore gamer is at a minimum: someone who buys and plays at least 6 NEW (as in, released within the prior 12 month period) games every year, AND averages 20+ hours a week of gaming time.

OR someone who has averaged 20+hours a week of gametime for a period lasting greater than 10 years. (so yes under this second definition, if your grandma has been playing solitaire on her pc for 16 years, at more than 20 hours a week, she's hardcore)

Edited by entrerix

OR someone who has averaged 20+hours a week of gametime for a period lasting greater than 10 years. (so yes under this second definition, if your grandma has been playing solitaire on her pc for 16 years, at more than 20 hours a week, she's hardcore)

Does Solitaire on a work computer count?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

... im thinking no, because then they are really just trying to avoid work, not actively seeking gaming out as a hobby.

Being a gamer is a state of mind. How many games you buy is a bogus metric.

True. Going by games purchased and hours spent gaming per week, I barely qualify as a casual gamer.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'd pretty much toss anyone who regularly discusses video games onto the pile. If you have a forum account, you're not getting away.

I accept the above arguments (state of mind, time spent thinking about games et al), then again nepenthe was the one who originally was questioning how many games need to be purchased to be a hardcore gamer, i was merely throwing more fuel onto the fire (though I myself brought up the concept as a metric so i guess i'm most to blame here)

Apparently PS3 purchasers of Dead Space 2 only get Ser Isaac armor for DA2 PS3. That's the word so far.