It takes a village idiot

Raithe

And the point of discussion would be? I mean, we all know that there are people like that and from what I've seen we don't have much of it here (excluding our few lunatic residents)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well I had noticed a tendency lately for arguments to seem a little more personal .. mostly it was just a random article of interest. Wasn't expecting it to kick off any huge discussion.

How many key points of netiquette are there? Does everyone share the same view of netiquette? How many people here do push their viewpoints and use attitudes they never would if we were sitting across from a table from each other?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The lack of consequences really makes it difficult to establish a coherent culture or etiquette - but I for one would very much enjoy are more civilized internet (and not just as a moderator).

Fortune favors the bald.

Public armchair drumming with (usually) no consequences has become a world past-time for the masses (instead of the few)....which does/can magnify certain unsavory aspects of human nature (if you're taking part in it). One thing about the internet is conversations may never die...in person people get tired of yapping/arguing and call it quits or whatever...the internet, you get angry, post, go to sleep, wake up, go online, read, get angry, and continue where you left off.

But yeah....I get pretty tired of all the anger/judgment/uncouthness too. When I do, I stop reading the internet, except for some main news sites. Works for me.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think the netiquette of people here is pretty solid. Many of us have been conversing for years, and even though we have ideologies all over the map, it rarely turns ugly. There are consequences here, mostly in the form of receiving the same treatment that you dish out. If you are just argumentative and narrow-minded, people here will treat you as such. If you show interest in your fellow posters and show respect, then you will get that back in turn.

Agreed. I think I've been coming here off and on for what... going on six years? (sheesh..time...) ... people here are usually pretty easy going even in the midst of a heated debate. Always nice.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If i may kiss arse for a moment, I think a lot of credit goes to Fionavar for that. He is the hub for the moderation, and the moderation trims off the xecesses. Although of course the quality of debate is down to the actual members.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think we all just suck at flaming rather than being polite.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Is it a bad thing that we suck at flaming? That just means that we are too polite to even conceive a proper flaming, or we just suck at it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

People are hypocritical, cowardly and mean-spirited! News at 11.

Public armchair drumming with (usually) no consequences has become a world past-time for the masses (instead of the few)....which does/can magnify certain unsavory aspects of human nature (if you're taking part in it). One thing about the internet is conversations may never die...in person people get tired of yapping/arguing and call it quits or whatever...the internet, you get angry, post, go to sleep, wake up, go online, read, get angry, and continue where you left off.
Pretty much. The permanent and fundamentally impersonal nature of online communication means that Internet discussions can continue for far longer and get much uglier in the process than traditional exchanges. Where the latter would end in a fisticuffs -or an "agreement to disagree" to avoid that- the former can continue to the point where actual arguments are irrelevant and only personal insults are thrown back and forth for days on end - which may or may not be entertaining in and of itself, depending on tastes.

In my opinion, an etiquette born of and evolved from contact with physical people doesn't quite cut it in the online -and international- channel, but I guess the 4chan alternative, amusing though it may be, isn't much better. That said, one of the things that I've grown to like from these boards is the moderation -despite the fact that I've been on the business end of the mods' bat more than once- because of the personal, friendly and generally hands-off approach they take. So, thanks for your patience; I guess you guys got the right idea, at least for the scope of these forums.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Horrible article that I feel is just trying to piggyback on the recent shooting that once again, has nothing to do with 'vitriol' and everything to do with a lunatic. Dems are furious at their recent november loss and are looking for a way to get back. Funny that it wasn't an issue when Bush was in office and the rhetoric was over the top. Within an hour of the tragedy, and I mean an hour, I heard some local democrats on the radio blaming this on the tea-party and it's rhetoric. Absolutely nothing about the shooting was known at the time and the news was falsely reporting Giffords as dead.

Off topic, but Giffords has been making a fantastic recovery. She was up and walking (with assistance) a few days ago!

I think the netiquette of people here is pretty solid. Many of us have been conversing for years, and even though we have ideologies all over the map, it rarely turns ugly. There are consequences here, mostly in the form of receiving the same treatment that you dish out. If you are just argumentative and narrow-minded, people here will treat you as such. If you show interest in your fellow posters and show respect, then you will get that back in turn.

When you say years, it's well over a decade for some of us...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

over the years there have been a few flamewars, but the people setting them off seem to get grumpy and leave pretty quickly

those of us left are pretty much too lazy to bother

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

You guys all know what a huge troll I am, so there's no real point for me to kick up any fuzz around here. And the people who were stupid enough to fall for it anyway are long gone :thumbsup:

*remembers 2004* aaaaah, good times.. like when that guy seriously called Enderwiggin "an honourless dog"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "