What you did today

Gorth

5-6 year old ipod classic seems to have finally croaked today, controls went completely unresponsive. They've been not working too well for a month or so, but something in the occasional nature of this issue has me thinking that it might be a software issue rather than old age just catching up. I'll try a full reset later today to see if it works out, but... If I don't get it fixed, I'm totally boned. I need it to separate me from the idiots/addicts/crying babies that I need to commute with daily, and there's no way I can cough up for a 64gb touch for a couple of months (and yeah, I know I could get a new classic for a lot less, but I've had my eye on the touch for a while, and I really hoped this would have lasted me those few more months...)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

My feet were cold the entire night inside my car. The mummy bag is rated for 0. I thought it was -35. Well, it was -9 outside without the windchill. The worst part was was breaking down infront of other railway workers. These guys are serious rednecks. Which just made it worse. It's nice to be away from home, but working nights blows. Not much for social events going on between 1pm and 7pm. I don't know anybody here. Hell, at least my Starbucks was free.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

My feet were cold the entire night inside my car. The mummy bag is rated for 0. I thought it was -35. Well, it was -9 outside without the windchill. The worst part was was breaking down infront of other railway workers. These guys are serious rednecks. Which just made it worse. It's nice to be away from home, but working nights blows. Not much for social events going on between 1pm and 7pm. I don't know anybody here. Hell, at least my Starbucks was free.

Sounds like you may already have one, but I have to say I really liked my Army sleeping bag. Other piece of advice from our staff sergeant: don't sleep with all your clothes on. Makes waking up harder. Aways leave at least one thing to put on on top when you get up.

Not much help, I know. But if it does help, then happy days...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This has not been a great week. Besides school/working 11 hours straight on Monday, over the weekend my paxil ran out and I'm still waiting on the doc to approve me for more refills. The withdrawals sucked. It's been pretty much all a haze but not quite fully debilitating yet; some nausea, extremely tired, general malaise, lack of concentration/thinking but worst of all if I made a movement my mind gets all confuzzled with dizziness/vertigo. Also some great sweating, hot/cold flashes, and some weird tings of "electricity." This was only day freakin 2 and a half. Luckily I went down to the pharmacy and although my doc still hadn't approved it the lady gave me 3 pills. I appreciate it but at the same time I can't help but be a little pissed. 3 pills....THREE PILLS?!?!/ I'll be sure to remember the generosity 4-5 days from now when I'm withdrawing again and jump in front of a train.

It's definitely a wake up call to just how powerful and dependent these drugs are. I have to really consider my options here because I don't like having my very existence at the mercy of something that can so easily run out. Then again it has transformed my life in a way I did not think possible. I want to say for the better but I'm not sure anymore. As much as it's great that I'm seeking out relationships with the opposite sex and most days are relatively content, the underlying reality hasn't quite changed for me. I'm still not happy which is kind of the whole point I started it. Therefore, I think it might be time to consider dropping it. I'm going to wait until the semester is over and then probably do a long term withdrawal. But that is obviously something that could change.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

5-6 year old ipod classic seems to have finally croaked today, controls went completely unresponsive. They've been not working too well for a month or so, but something in the occasional nature of this issue has me thinking that it might be a software issue rather than old age just catching up. I'll try a full reset later today to see if it works out, but... If I don't get it fixed, I'm totally boned. I need it to separate me from the idiots/addicts/crying babies that I need to commute with daily, and there's no way I can cough up for a 64gb touch for a couple of months (and yeah, I know I could get a new classic for a lot less, but I've had my eye on the touch for a while, and I really hoped this would have lasted me those few more months...)

just a heads up, the Touch is absolutely horrendous to use in crowded places.

Sounds like you may already have one, but I have to say I really liked my Army sleeping bag. Other piece of advice from our staff sergeant: don't sleep with all your clothes on. Makes waking up harder. Aways leave at least one thing to put on on top when you get up.

IIRC, it's not just the wake up, I think there was also something about less clothes making the whole heat transfer from you to the bag back to you a lot more efficient than what goes on with wearing everything you own.

just a heads up, the Touch is absolutely horrendous to use in crowded places.

Yeah, I can imagine. It's just a 30 minute commute twice a day, so I could generally just set it up before I stuff myself in at a bad hour, if it came to that. Still, necessary so I'm not totally berserk when I get to the office. :ermm:

Happily, when I got home and did a factory reset with itunes, it seems to have sorted the issues for now. Let's hope this lasts for a couple of months more...

Thought up a design for a game where you have to survive in a white wasteland called "Shovelout : A Post Snowpocalyptic RPG". More snow than we've gotten in a while here, PITA to shovel it all before work and more still coming.

Bastard kids get a snow day.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeesh, the fiancee of a friend of mine finally got a job after spending the last few months out of work. He turned up for his first day of work, then several hours in got told that he was being rif'ed and the contract pulled.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

IIRC, it's not just the wake up, I think there was also something about less clothes making the whole heat transfer from you to the bag back to you a lot more efficient than what goes on with wearing everything you own.

I was actually thinking about that. I had two pairs of socks on. The issue is is when my bag presses against the seat or the floor, it's pulling the heat away and it's obvious. Well, it was -18 last night. I did buy a space heater and an extension cord. That helped significantly. I slept like a baby.

I have a fire blanket on the rear storage shelf with the heater pointed toward the front of the vehicle with the head rests taken off. Plus a mini-fire extinguisher I'm borrowing from work til I go home. Also, it's been so windy that I don't need to crack windows for the air to circulate. That, and being that it's hard to sleep from 5am til whenever, I usually wake up around 9:30-11. It's a great way to save money, though. It saves $800 a month. Canadian National will not reimburse me for lodging costs even though I'm working temporarily 300 miles away from home. Sure, I could take it off of my taxes, but how in Hell am I supposed to afford $200 a week after being on lay off since early December and still beable to afford my monthly expenses?

If you get a chance to work for Canadian National; don't.

We have a new Union contract that's been in mediation for just shy of three years. So far, every time I've had a problem with CN being shady the Union will do nothing about it. The only thing the ****ing Union does is protect guys who sit around and do nothing or cause problems. If it wasn't for the lack of other job offers, I wouldn't be here. Having free time at Noon til 7pm Six hours from home is utterly boring. Thank you Starbucks employees for the free Chai.

Shovel 4-5 feet of snow after that fine blizzard last night. All of that wind and drifting is why it was so deep otherwise it would have been a mere foot and a half.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Hey Joe, I know this is probably tough to even imagine, but if you are going to stick with this type of work, you might want to look for a cheap RV. They can be bought for a few thousand dollars, and after that the costs are fairly minimal.

Edited by Hurlshot

I did a final walk down on a new cell site we built for Sprint today. It's on Mud Island, a little tourist attraction just west of downtown Memphis. How the heck that little ball of dirt became a tourist attraction is beyond me. But I did have lunch at the Rendevouz which is really the only reason to go downtown unless you're going to a Grizzlies or Redbirds game.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Today I drew for 2 hours before class, drew for 4 hours in class and during the 2 hours it takes me to get back home. Now bathed and fresh I'm going to resume the drawing.

**** art :ermm:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm out of advice there, Joe. But for what it's worth, you've got my admiration for toughing it out.

~~

Further delays on a contract we're negotiating. Incredibly frustrating.

~~

Ex of mine found stash of old love letters, and started dropping me texts. Funny how, as I get older, I find some of my best friends are women I treated badly when I was younger. Though perhaps it's just that there's a degree of rawness in someone who's seen you at your worst, and thought the best of you. A special kind of honesty, and the companionship of shared history.

Got a little sorry for myself for a bit, but as I say, hearing about Joe made me suck it up. :ermm:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Got a little sorry for myself for a bit, but as I say, hearing about Joe made me suck it up. :)

Similar.

Baked some Rocky Roads muffins to take to work with me. I'm sure my decision had nothing to do with the fact the ex is lecturing today and I thought it might cheer her up. I'm such a ****.

Couldn't seem to focus on some revision and attempted learning.

So I thought I'd stretch my mind in a totally different way..and went on a research binge over designs, engineering and science of skyhooks, space fountains, space elevators and related construction and orbital mechanics..

Kind of random..but it'll be interesting to see how much actually sticks in my mind in a few days.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Back at work today after the third highest snow amount in Chicago's history. The side roads are still a mess but at least the highway is plowed and salted. O'Hare airport reported 20.2 inches of snow.

I wish we had gotten that much snow from this storm. Although the roads would probably be in even worse shape what with the city forgetting how to clear them. They're clearing out most of it, but they are leaving about an inch thick layer on the road that is just turning to solid ice. :(

@Walsingham/Nepenthe: Oh hell, I didn't mean to make you all 'Hail to the King' of 'Woe is me' at the moment. By all means, if you have something you need to vent about, do it. It keeps me front ... unconventional stress relief.

Back at work today after the third highest snow amount in Chicago's history. The side roads are still a mess but at least the highway is plowed and salted. O'Hare airport reported 20.2 inches of snow.

I wish we had gotten that much snow from this storm. Although the roads would probably be in even worse shape what with the city forgetting how to clear them. They're clearing out most of it, but they are leaving about an inch thick layer on the road that is just turning to solid ice. :)

At least you oculd get out... I had a four foot drift behind my car and couldn't go out yesterday... donno if they plowed it today.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I have a question about that. How are they plowing the roads with all of those abandoned cars sitting there? I have ideas, I just don't know how they're actually accomplishing it. Then again, I didn't really look into it. I was thinking about it last night before I fell asleep.

In NY when I drove through it after the last major one around christmas (becuase they shut down the airports... driving from Iowa to NY sucks btw) they just plowed AROUND the cars that had gotten stuck wherever (including on the offramps)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

If they can, they tow abandoned cars. You've got to get them back from the local police lots. Happened to someone who was trying to visit my parent's house during a snowstorm and who got stuck about a block short of his destination.