character creation/customization...

In the February issue of Game Informer they provide a small preview of the game and describe their play experiences with the "guardian" class I believe. The way they write the preview gives the notion that each class is embodied in a pre-defined character in-game (i.e. we are playing through someone's story as opposed to making our own). Although this is just a preview and only 3/4 of a page long, I have the eerie impression that there might not be the popular and expected character creation and customization the franchise and Obsidian are both well known for.

Now, this is assumption based on a small preview but a few months out from release there was no mention of character creation options, gender choices, hair/color/race options, etc. With this being a cornerstone to many other Obsidian titles and a cornerstone of the Dungeon Siege franchise I'm concerned that all this hype for an acclaimed developer with a franchise chaulk full of untapped potential is sort of misleading.

I'm not trying to say there is deception afoot, I'm just hoping for great clarification on the title and its features (as I know we all are).

I find it easiest to think of it as a Diablo, really. There was no harm in not being able to play a male Sorcerer because that was never the point of the customisation. I don't know how it will sit with their desire to do more/better storytelling in an ARPG though.

Well, we're actually aware of that lack of customization since a long time ago. Dungeon Siege 3 is starting to really shape up as a strange kind of game for Obsidian to do : JRPG and action games influence, limited customization, etc.

JRPG? limited customization?

Was that Diablo 2 was? because that's the path DS3 is taking and I don't consider D2 had "limited" customization.

Now if you mean face/body shape/cosmetical stuff, well, yeah, it may lack from it but I couldn't care less about it.

Edited by yoomazir

Well, we're actually aware of that lack of customization since a long time ago. Dungeon Siege 3 is starting to really shape up as a strange kind of game for Obsidian to do : JRPG and action games influence, limited customization, etc.

JRPG? limited customization?

Was that Diablo 2 was? because that's the path DS3 is taking and I don't consider D2 had "limited" customization.

Now if you mean face/body shape/cosmetical stuff, well, yeah, it may lack from it but I couldn't care less about it.

JRPG - Jap syle RPG as opposed to Western, or so Google tells me. Prescripted plot with preset characters. No real player choices.

TQ was limited with its customisation too. Gender, name and tunic colour are the only options. While I'd prefer to customise my character as long as I'm playing something that appeals to me I can live with it. At the very least gender choices should be permitted, and probably race, though that depends on the DS3 world.

No we weren't aware as regardless of Square Enix's purchase of the franchise and choice for Obisidian to develop to help them edge-in on Western gamers no one since this preview has officially stated or otherwise that this would be a multi-class version of Nier. If gender never mattered then Blizzard would not be implementing gender choice in their Diablo 3. As much as anyone would like you to believe that all gamers are laissez faire about playing a game people do want an accurate PC/avatar/toon (God, I hate the word "toon"). Poll people other than the vocal minority and you'll get a slew of responses that more than justify why most RPGs are turning to custom or at at least moderate character cutomization. If the Japanese models were working Inafune would not have left Capcom, FFXIII would not have face planted into a reception of mediocre reviews, and Square Enix would not have chosen to pair DS and Obisidian.

You can't tell me a franchise heavy on lore but light on story - when coupled with a company that has made a career out of formulating stories around custom characters to great effect - can't let you choose between the guardian archetype "Lucas" or "Lisa" and able to at least customize some of their features and possibly skin tone? No, I'm calling you out on that.

The equation just doesn't yield the currently presented answer.

No we weren't aware as regardless of Square Enix's purchase of the franchise and choice for Obisidian to develop to help them edge-in on Western gamers no one since this preview has officially stated or otherwise that this would be a multi-class version of Nier. If gender never mattered then Blizzard would not be implementing gender choice in their Diablo 3. As much as anyone would like you to believe that all gamers are laissez faire about playing a game people do want an accurate PC/avatar/toon (God, I hate the word "toon"). Poll people other than the vocal minority and you'll get a slew of responses that more than justify why most RPGs are turning to custom or at at least moderate character cutomization. If the Japanese models were working Inafune would not have left Capcom, FFXIII would not have face planted into a reception of mediocre reviews, and Square Enix would not have chosen to pair DS and Obisidian.

You can't tell me a franchise heavy on lore but light on story - when coupled with a company that has made a career out of formulating stories around custom characters to great effect - can't let you choose between the guardian archetype "Lucas" or "Lisa" and able to at least customize some of their features and possibly skin tone? No, I'm calling you out on that.

Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV) goes to the other extreme. You get to custom design your physique, especially your face, within the restrictions of your chosen race.

Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV) goes to the other extreme. You get to custom design your physique, especially your face, within the restrictions of your chosen race.

True... That isn't a bad thing, though. In fact, that was probably one of my favorite things about the game. If you cbf, however, there was the basic look/randomizer too. More options are never a bad thing. Isn't that what makes a classic western RPG? More choices?

OK, that was... really convoluted, but yes, you're right that it's surprising a company like Obsidian isn't offering character customisation, and I agree that it couldn't hurt to offer some basic options. I'm assuming that they have some reason along the lines of having the writing tie in with those characters a lot, perhaps voiced PCs, etc. Certainly the Nameless One shows that predefined characters are perfectly fine if they are bloody awesome characters. I'm a bit skeptical of that happening in an ARPG though.

To me it's a minor detail but yeah, it will probably rile up some people, so I wonder why they did it, too.

Right, because I really want to customize my character by making him either a fat SoB or some emo Cloud/Sephiroth build...

Pre-defined builds please, thank you very much.

@Lord Elvewyn

"JRPG - Jap syle RPG as opposed to Western, or so Google tells me. Prescripted plot with preset characters. No real player choices."

I guess half of the supposed wrpg's are in fact jrpgs, thank you Google :lol:

Edited by yoomazir

I was considering to buy this game, but if they are making each class gender specific, then I'll consider not getting it.

Agreed. I'm not interested in playing some female just because I want to play a sorcery class for example. All the previous DS's allowed basic customisation and KotOR2 allowed options, gender and basic portraits to select from. It was predefined true but did give some player options. Not sure what yoomazie's on about.