new scientific discoveries

Wrath of Dagon

That's really cool!

I don't know if this is the same discovery (doesn't seem to be), but a few years ago scientists discovered some Bacteria (or Archaea was it?) living trapped between layers of rock beneath the earth's surface. They'd been there for I think hundreds of thousands of years (millions?). I believe they reduced sulphur or something weird.

These organisms were breeding and dying like normal organisms, they hadn't been surviving for extended periods of time, just reproducing - which is something unique in and of itself. But the conditions they were living in were, you know, totally alien - they'd basically never been exposed to the outside world before and harvested energy in a manner unlike any other known organism.

Ah yes, this seems to be it: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1033...by-the-sun.html

They have been isolated from the rest of the world for 20 million years.

That's really cool!

I don't know if this is the same discovery (doesn't seem to be), but a few years ago scientists discovered some Bacteria (or Archaea was it?) living trapped between layers of rock beneath the earth's surface.

They have been isolated from the rest of the world for 20 million years.

Finally a species we nerds can look down on socially.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Finally a species we nerds can look down on socially.

Should you interpret that sentence as though if it's insinuating that nerds and humans are different species? I've heard they can generate progeny, even though I have not seen it for myself :grin:

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Scientists to resurrect mammoth : http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110117/wl_as...nsciencemammoth

Just because we can do it, does it mean we should do it?

Are you kidding? I'm all over mammoth burgers.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I stumbled on some slightly interesting science-related trivia..

Leonardo da Vinci, whilst a total genius, made absolutely no great advancements to science. While he did make many scientific breakthru's much ahead of other people, he encrypted all of his notes and never shared them.

By the time his notebooks were actually decoded, all of the discoveries he'd made in his lifetime had been discovered and credited to other people who had actually shared them with the world... :lol:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Scientists to resurrect mammoth : http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110117/wl_as...nsciencemammoth

Just because we can do it, does it mean we should do it?

Are you kidding? I'm all over mammoth burgers.

I am kidding, it's a Jurassic Park reference.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Chances are if you can imagine it, any sufficiently advanced science can approximate it. :o

Mmmm... chocolate supermodel....

-Elwood Blues

Mmmm... chocolate supermodel....

Melt in the hand, not in the mouth?

Steady. Hold the line....

-Elwood Blues

Reporter : "Tell me Doctor. Why did you decide to go into gengineering research?"

Scientist : "To fulfill a dream mostly."

Reporter : "Okay, I'll bite. What dream? A dream for a better, cleaner world? Peace on Earth? Food and care for the needy?"

Scientist : "Nope. A redhead, five-ten with green eyes, athletic build, and legs up to here."

Something a few months old.. but still kind of interestingly funky. Marine Architecture wise... The guy has some fun ideas. Be interesting to see if any of them ever got built...

The Physalia

We need food _right now_

"We have 20 years to arguably deliver something of the order of 40% more food; 30% more available fresh water and of the order of 50% more energy.

-Elwood Blues

Producing an ever larger amount of energy is not a problem (convincing people to bother building the infrastructure is, but I'm seeing very encouraging signs of large-scale change). Food on the other hand is.

And it is a problem compounded by the fact that phosphate is running out - a key ingredient of fertiliser.

Genetic engineering of crops seems to be the most powerful and viable solution to food scarcity, and even the ****ing Vatican recognises that.

Genghis Khan, history's greenest conqueror: http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-w...enest-conqueror

I'd not say this if I hadn't heard it from a green party spokesman's own mouth: depopulation is their ****ing plan. Not that this is illogical. I just find it hilarious that so many peaceniks are greenies. How exactly is this depopulation going to happen then? Who dies first? Will asking very politely do the trick? :ninja:

-Elwood Blues

Cool article - wacky comments, who apparently think that the author is worshipping an eco-terrorist death cult with the sole intent of de-populating the earth and that the article is obviously condoning said method of climate control.. some people! :ninja:

Fortune favors the bald.

• 2 months later...