Australia avoided recession so god was all like "I'm gonna flood ya"

Humodour

As you say, we're all interconnected now, so we need to get you chaps back on your feet asap.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

As you say, we're all interconnected now, so we need to get you chaps back on your feet asap.

Multilateralism only goes so far.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

And how far is that?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And how far is that?

To the point where if you house it's sinking we are holding our own. Sorry to say but every country seems to follow rational self interests first and leave the charity to the actors and musicians.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Nice to se someone taking on Sand's second order of complication mantle.

The longer Australia is in trouble, the higher the price of coal becomes. The higher the price of coal, the higher the price of electricity. The higher the price of electricity, the higher the price of just about everything.

-Elwood Blues

The longer Australia is in trouble, the higher the price of coal becomes. The higher the price of coal, the higher the price of electricity. The higher the price of electricity, the higher the price of just about everything.

You are forgetting that the people who run the world are either morons or heartless ****s.

village_idiot.gif

You are forgetting that the people who run the world are either morons or heartless ****s.

I'm not saying I know the people who run teh world. But I've met and worked with some pretty senior guys. I wouldn't have called them either stupid or heartless. Confused, possibly. Subject to an incomprehensible array of stakeholders, certainly. Dealing with life and death with no option reading 'phone a friend', yes.

I''m not saying there aren't some gold plated fethwits in power. I'm just saying that if you say that everyone is power is an evil prick you're being a bit ignorant and failing to grasp the problem. Which either means you don't want to solve the problem because it's more comfy believing something simple, or you can't get your head around it.

-Elwood Blues

To the point where if you house it's sinking we are holding our own. Sorry to say but every country seems to follow rational self interests first and leave the charity to the actors and musicians.
Even if there was something inherently wrong with that, it's not really as clear cut as you make it.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/haiti_production/a..._5_original.pdf

^In the context of a global economic crisis, I'd say that is quite a lot of money to give away.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'm not saying I know the people who run teh world. But I've met and worked with some pretty senior guys. I wouldn't have called them either stupid or heartless. Confused, possibly. Subject to an incomprehensible array of stakeholders, certainly. Dealing with life and death with no option reading 'phone a friend', yes.

I''m not saying there aren't some gold plated fethwits in power. I'm just saying that if you say that everyone is power is an evil prick you're being a bit ignorant and failing to grasp the problem. Which either means you don't want to solve the problem because it's more comfy believing something simple, or you can't get your head around it.

I'm merely a little discontent with the economic realities of charity. If the supply price rise then the product price rises and the people who profit from it continue to do so. I simply don't see them investing as a company, money on a relief effort. As charities and private individuals, yes. My point is that there is a limit to how much they invest and its carefully delineated which defeat the whole concept of charity.

village_idiot.gif

I'm merely a little discontent with the economic realities of charity. If the supply price rise then the product price rises and the people who profit from it continue to do so. I simply don't see them investing as a company, money on a relief effort. As charities and private individuals, yes. My point is that there is a limit to how much they invest and its carefully delineated which defeat the whole concept of charity.

You're saying that if the price of the production of the material rises, and the retail price rises, then the person retailing makes more money? They'd only do so if they took a percentage which isn't how an economy works*. Merely how politicians think.

As I get older I'm increasingly baffled by the notion of charity as some sort of saintly activity. Almost as if it's become the atheist path to enlightenment. Why IN THE NAME OF F*** does charity have to be totally disinterested? The poor c*** at the other end doesn't give a toss if his goat was given without a shred of self interest. Not if he's really in trouble anyway. And if he isn't why give to him in a totally disinterested way in the first place?

BTW, apologies for my language, but I'm still suffering the after-effects of debugging Securom in my installation of GTA IV this week.

*To the best of my knowledge.

-Elwood Blues

You're saying that if the price of the production of the material rises, and the retail price rises, then the person retailing makes more money? They'd only do so if they took a percentage which isn't how an economy works*. Merely how politicians think.
Point it's that the company has to meet a quote to be making profit, not possible if money goes to relief effort. Just saying, :p
As I get older I'm increasingly baffled by the notion of charity as some sort of saintly activity. Almost as if it's become the atheist path to enlightenment. Why IN THE NAME OF F*** does charity have to be totally disinterested? The poor c*** at the other end doesn't give a toss if his goat was given without a shred of self interest. Not if he's really in trouble anyway. And if he isn't why give to him in a totally disinterested way in the first place?

BTW, apologies for my language, but I'm still suffering the after-effects of debugging Securom in my installation of GTA IV this week.

*To the best of my knowledge.

Okay I concede on this, maybe it's the youthful optimism in my (or cynicism) but I thought of charity as a selfless act for the sake of it and not for profit. Although it was never uninterested since well, empathy, social mimicry and god knows what other adaptations we have developed over the years. But at some point people have to realize of the kind of disconnect between lavish fund raising parties and the realities of afflicted places. Which it's that feeding them for a day doesn't help the problem, becoming invested and developing their economy. But it's easier to profit from diamonds and then set a fund for the victims of Sierra Leone.

village_idiot.gif