2 important questions

Correct. It would be very difficult to control many different characters, especially using a console controller.

Dragon Age made it pretty easy to control your party with the tactical wheel, especially with it having in the options to where you just had to click it to leave it open and click it closed rather than holding the button down the whole time while cycling characters and skills.

I'm not trying to compare or say everything Obsidian does should resemble Bioware or that Dungeon Siege should necessarily be this way... just that it made controlling the party equally easy to a pc, I don't think it could get more easy for either system than it was there. Also taking into account you could set every party members tactics for when you weren't controlling them... I never felt like I wasn't in control or died because I couldn't control my party easily enough, if i died it was just a straight up failure.

The major difference is that Dragon Age was always designed from the start to allow tactical squad combat, involving lots of pausing, AI routine setups, etc. if need be. DS3 was designed from the start as a one-character game where the pace is a lot faster, you're doing a lot more clicking with your one character, and there's a lot of jumping and rolling going around.

It's not really a question of making it easy to switch between characters, its a quetion of the game as a whole. Sort of like how it wouldn't make sense to have made Diablo II party-based. You can't jump and roll and push forward non-stop smashing things apart and hotkeying everything while having a 4-man party, that's why Dragon Age has a much slower pace where you can leave a character just swinging his sword slowly against a darkspawn for 10 seconds and he'll be alright.

Play WoW, then. Well, where should I start?

Choo choo, you missed the sarcasm train. :(

The major difference is that Dragon Age was always designed from the start to allow tactical squad combat, involving lots of pausing, AI routine setups, etc. if need be. DS3 was designed from the start as a one-character game where the pace is a lot faster, you're doing a lot more clicking with your one character, and there's a lot of jumping and rolling going around.

It's not really a question of making it easy to switch between characters, its a quetion of the game as a whole. Sort of like how it wouldn't make sense to have made Diablo II party-based. You can't jump and roll and push forward non-stop smashing things apart and hotkeying everything while having a 4-man party, that's why Dragon Age has a much slower pace where you can leave a character just swinging his sword slowly against a darkspawn for 10 seconds and he'll be alright.

Play WoW, then. Well, where should I start?

Choo choo, you missed the sarcasm train. :p

Eh... I can see why he thought that I was serious. There are a lot of people out there like that.... Which is why I was making fun, hehe. :(

I will admit... Being a Dungeon Siege fan, I was a little apprehensive about the new combat system. From what I've read about the game so far, however, I'm looking forward to the product Obsidian is working on. Hopefully it will be a lot like Baldur's Gate, or Champions of Norrath. =)

If I need to remind at all, DA was originally designed for PC exclusively. Bioware needed to "adjust" this part for the sequel. I guess this is inevitable as long as the majorities are playing on consoles. Recent devices such as Kinect will probably make the development more complicated.

However, at the moment, probably, Obsidian built Onyx capable of dealing with either PC and consoles, which would suffice at least for the current major market. IIRC, Sawyer mentioned this one somewhere but, building the core game-play first and doing the underlying data later would be a desirable process for the development. Obsidian must know quite a few tricks to deal with these underlying data, they needed people to build the core game-play. Even though they seem to have staggered upon UE3, the designers always appear to be happy with Onyx even back to Aliens RPG.

If you are looking for some of these "classic" style games, though, you may like to look for portable devices/web-based ones. The new Tactics Ogre is out now, for example. Some designers mentioned dreaming of making such games for Ipad/pod, too (although I have to point out that's just the "dreaming" stage of "development"...well, if we can call it development at all). I wonder if something like TO can be sold well so, lets see.

I find this news indescribably disappointing. :( I was holding out big hopes for DS3 with Obsidian at the helm, but this might be the first Obsidian game I don't buy. To me, Dungeon Siege was about creating a customized character and romping through the single-player campaign with a horde of followers and pets (including the iconic Pack Mules!) before taking him into multiplayer with a few friends and having fun with our various characters. Remember how you could play as skeletons in Dungeon Siege 1 multiplayer? Good times. And I was thrilled when they added Dwarves to DS2, by fan demand. I was one of the fans who asked for them! Made me feel good. And now Dungeon Siege III will have none of this at all.

No character customization and no big party in single-player = Not Dungeon Siege

Heck, it doesn't even have a red-haired girl on the cover (a minor quibble, but there it is). I don't mind change, but not when all the best, most basic elements of a series are thrown out the window. This is Dungeon Siege in name only. Kind of like the Uwe Boll movie.

I find this news indescribably disappointing. :( I was holding out big hopes for DS3 with Obsidian at the helm, but this might be the first Obsidian game I don't buy. To me, Dungeon Siege was about creating a customized character and romping through the single-player campaign with a horde of followers and pets (including the iconic Pack Mules!) before taking him into multiplayer with a few friends and having fun with our various characters. Remember how you could play as skeletons in Dungeon Siege 1 multiplayer? Good times. And I was thrilled when they added Dwarves to DS2, by fan demand. I was one of the fans who asked for them! Made me feel good. And now Dungeon Siege III will have none of this at all.

No character customization and no big party in single-player = Not Dungeon Siege

Heck, it doesn't even have a red-haired girl on the cover (a minor quibble, but there it is). I don't mind change, but not when all the best, most basic elements of a series are thrown out the window. This is Dungeon Siege in name only. Kind of like the Uwe Boll movie.

Ugh... I don't even want to think about that movie... I do understand the way you feel, though. I felt the same way at first, too. Eh... You can't look at it like a dungeon siege game, though. Think of Champions of Norath... Nothing like Everquest, other than it's name in the title, and the area it's set in. That's the way I see this game, too. It isn't the game I know, it just looks like a different kind of game set in the same universe (that's the impression I get at least). =) To be honest I can understand why they chose to go this rout, though... A lot of people who are keeping tabs on this game haven't even played the first two games. The market is definitely geared more towards newer gamers, which is the way they should go if they want to make money I think. =P

That being said, maybe this will open doors later on down the road for a 4th game based more in the traditional style of dungeon siege. =)

Ugh... I don't even want to think about that movie... I do understand the way you feel, though. I felt the same way at first, too. Eh... You can't look at it like a dungeon siege game, though. Think of Champions of Norath... Nothing like Everquest, other than it's name in the title, and the area it's set in. That's the way I see this game, too. It isn't the game I know, it just looks like a different kind of game set in the same universe (that's the impression I get at least). =) To be honest I can understand why they chose to go this rout, though... A lot of people who are keeping tabs on this game haven't even played the first two games. The market is definitely geared more towards newer gamers, which is the way they should go if they want to make money I think. =P

That being said, maybe this will open doors later on down the road for a 4th game based more in the traditional style of dungeon siege. =)

? Isn't that a little bit on how you decide Dungeon Siege III has to look? I mean Chris Taylor wanted to focus on one charachter before Obsidian took over. They just continued it.

http://kotaku.com/#!5013942/dungeon-si...-could-fly-solo

Its pretty much the same thing Fallout went through (though, here at least it is still in the same gerne) so I can understand the frustration.

And Storywise DSIII acknowdlegdes the first games story already way more than the second did. Considering the (thus far) main atagonist of the third game was only born a short time after the events of the second game there may even be a connection.

Edited by C2B

? Isn't that a little bit on how you decide Dungeon Siege III has to look? I mean Chris Taylor wanted to focus on one charachter before Obsidian took over. They just continued it.

http://kotaku.com/#!5013942/dungeon-si...-could-fly-solo

Its pretty much the same thing Fallout went through (though, here at least it is still in the same gerne) so I can understand the frustration.

And Storywise DSIII acknowdlegdes the first games story already way more than the second did. Considering the (thus far) main atagonist of the third game was only born a short time after the events of the second game there may even be a connection.

There's two issues though, party\no party plus player control\customisation V set character. So far it looks like AI\co-op tagalongs plus set characters with limited customisation. Seems fairly rigid, Still a month or two to dispell that illusion of course. Chris Taylor may have wanted less of a party focus but was he intending to eliminate classes too?

There's two issues though, party\no party plus player control\customisation V set character. So far it looks likeAI\co-op tagalongs plus set characters with limited customisation. Seems fairly rigid, Still a month or two to dispell that illusion of course. Chris Taylor may have wanted less of a party focus but was he intending to eliminate classes too?

While customization so far seen is surely not as in depth as in previous titles classes still exist. The preset charachters are the classes themselves.

For the rest we really don't know for sure since nothing we know was in depth regarding it.

Yea... this is like more of statements of sentiment, which we have indeed seen a lot of these on these boards. I won't buy it if it doesn't play like DS I/II, Fallout I/II. Even if you think you sound sarcastic to a certain group which don't share your taste, it comes back to you just by replacing the name. The scheme is "I won't buy it if it doesn't play like *insert the name of your favorite game*". As I wrote, probably most of Obsidian have gone through it already. Even Emil at Bethesda confessed the pressure he felt while making FO3. Well, actually, I haven't bought FO3 while I bought FO:NV (Haven't played it since I'm planning to buy a Sandy Bridge machine...I might be taking care of my current machine too well) but its not out of sentiment and I kept one of the my eyes on the development process as close as possible and had a general idea about what I was buying. So, come to the boards, pay attention to what the designers tell as well as what they have to tell in public (I mean, some are just business lip service conscious of their sponsors).

As for DSIII, although this is just my personal impression, probably, they won't have as much as numerical details in previous DS but, the team are making sure that every choice should have "meaning" about character customizations as well as other decisions. It will appear to have fewer choices at a glance but they will probably cover most of the stereotypes with distinct characters.

Yea... this is like more of statements of sentiment, which we have indeed seen a lot of these on these boards. I won't buy it if it doesn't play like DS I/II, Fallout I/II. Even if you think you sound sarcastic to a certain group which don't share your taste, it comes back to you just by replacing the name. The scheme is "I won't buy it if it doesn't play like *insert the name of your favorite game*". As I wrote, probably most of Obsidian have gone through it already. Even Emil at Bethesda confessed the pressure he felt while making FO3. Well, actually, I haven't bought FO3 while I bought FO:NV (Haven't played it since I'm planning to buy a Sandy Bridge machine...I might be taking care of my current machine too well) but its not out of sentiment and I kept one of the my eyes on the development process as close as possible and had a general idea about what I was buying. So, come to the boards, pay attention to what the designers tell as well as what they have to tell in public (I mean, some are just business lip service conscious of their sponsors).

As for DSIII, although this is just my personal impression, probably, they won't have as much as numerical details in previous DS but, the team are making sure that every choice should have "meaning" about character customizations as well as other decisions. It will appear to have fewer choices at a glance but they will probably cover most of the stereotypes with distinct characters.

Since starting ME2 I'm becoming a little more comfortable with the concept of limited AI allies. Of course the fact that the PC in ME2 is presently better than I am on ultra-easy might have something to do with that impression. You'd want decent squad commands though.

Still unhappy about the forced characters myself. I prefer to custom build. Choose my own class, ideally blending the best of various classes as in NWN or TQ though I'm aware KotOR, ME etc limit to solo classing where it worked well, and ideally choose\construct my own avatar. Here there's no choice. You play the melee character, the female melee\fire spell ranged character, the female gunslinger, and one other possible a mage. It looks to be set storylines with limited customisation and a focus on melee. It's DS so I'm remaining hopeful but the limited info\concerning info has me grumpy.