2 important questions

• 5 weeks later...

Bringing this topic back up because it's something that seemed kind of vague in the previews I've read.

So I'm right in thinking that this game won't control anything like NWN2? I was hoping that we'd have at least some sort of option for direct control of the other party members in single-player. Being able to control the entire party was a big factor for me in preferring NWN2 to the original (though the story was probably the biggest fator). In the gameplay footage I've seen, the player character is actively dodging quite often, so it looks to me like there will only ever be direct control of 1 party member (per player).

Definitely not a deal breaker for me, but still a bit disappointing. I just have to come to grips with the fact that this isn't going to be the game I originally expected. I'm still assuming that 4-player groups will be possible in multiplayer, but I'm interested to see how the party mechanics work in single-player. (Inventory control? Tactics?)

Edited by Azilis

Looks like it's definitely going more action-y than NWN2. I don't know if there's going to be any kind of AI system to direct characters, but it's going to be fairly difficult to control more than one character at a time, given that the gameplay is far twitchier.

EDIT: There's not much info to base myself on right now, but I'm fairly sure you'll get to mess with the other characters inventories too, given that the inventory is shared and every character has unique armor/equipment anyway.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Looks like it's definitely going more action-y than NWN2. I don't know if there's going to be any kind of AI system to direct characters, but it's going to be fairly difficult to control more than one character at a time, given that the gameplay is far twitchier.

EDIT: There's not much info to base myself on right now, but I'm fairly sure you'll get to mess with the other characters inventories too, given that the inventory is shared and every character has unique armor/equipment anyway.

Correct. It would be very difficult to control many different characters, especially using a console controller.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

Correct. It would be very difficult to control many different characters, especially using a console controller.

Sounds more like what Bioware does with Dragon Age or Mass Effect which is not a bad thing but I was kind of hoping to loot and share xp with friends instead of AI. No point of multiplayer if you can't share the xperience with friends but we'll see when they announce the multiplayer features.

I was kind of hoping to loot and share xp with friends instead of AI.

I wouldn't worry. This is almost certainly possible, because it would make zero sense if you can't, and because only people who say otherwise are going off a rumour from a source that is just as clueless as everyone else.

It's as if some random game journalist made up "In Dungeon Siege you can't use swords" and now everybody is worried about it. ;(

I was kind of hoping to loot and share xp with friends instead of AI.

I wouldn't worry. This is almost certainly possible, because it would make zero sense if you can't, and because only people who say otherwise are going off a rumour from a source that is just as clueless as everyone else.

It's as if some random game journalist made up "In Dungeon Siege you can't use swords" and now everybody is worried about it. :o

WE CAN'T USE SWORDS IN DUNGEON SIEGE 3 EVEN?! Worst... Game... Ever. :p

How do you mean twitchier? This is an RPG not a console arcade game or an FPS. It should be planning more than button mashing right? DS1 you only had to click an enemy to attack them until they were dead. DS2 required you to click for each attack or at least hold the mouse button down which was a bit nasty. Is this going to be even worse than DS2? If so maybe there'd better be RSI\OOS warnings on the game as well as the standard epilepsy or whatever health warnings. >_<

I play Titan Quest on occasion and that's a DS2 style click to perform an attack type game with hotkeys. Holding the mouse down for all the enemies (especially with the mod I'm currently playing) and twisting my fingers to hit all the keys I need can be testing. I'm only playing it irregularly but extended play is a mite too intensive. Something that requires hotkeys plus intensive mouse clicking plus twitching sounds pretty nasty, purely from a medical\health standpoint of course.

Edited by Lord Elvewyn

It'll be 'twitchier' in the sense that it'd be more like Diablo / Torchlight / whatnot rather than Dragon Age / NWN2 / etc. Control one guy, roll and jump around a bit, use abilities in a fast paced battle with bodies flying, not pause, order your party to do things, watch it happen.

Clicking ,holding the mouse down or using hotkeys is pretty standard in these kinds of games (though these days you don't have to click click click to keep attacking one guy).

Planescape: Torment tried to challenge established Tolkien-ish fantasy settings as many as possible. Among them, it didn't have a sword. It's nice to have such attempt in good-old days of game development but, it is too risky for the business model nowadays. Then again, it doesn't mean that Obsidian designers don't need to give up all of their creativity/originality at all.

They can just start with the game-plays/settings with which the targeted segments feel at home and turn the table with some twists. For example, loot economy is one of the important factors in scheme established by Blizzard and, probably, it would be unwise not to follow it but, focusing more on story/setting is what Obsidian are good at. Game-plays are more tricky with the common argument between abilities of chars and players and Obsidians past work was mainly focused on the former. The majority don't seem to be happy with Alpha Protocol while they seem to find New Vegas ok. I wouldn't like to see Obsidian repeating the same "mistake" by making something which people find half-baked. Hopefully, they will be able to strike a vein to trick more people into appreciating their dark scheme creativity. After all, quite many people in Obsidian seem to have game-mastering experience so they should know how to enjoy their players without scaring them away with forced "originality"/"creativity." We cannot do game-mastering without players, of course.

Planescape: Torment tried to challenge established Tolkien-ish fantasy settings as many as possible. Among them, it didn't have a sword. It's nice to have such attempt in good-old days of game development but, it is too risky for the business model nowadays. Then again, it doesn't mean that Obsidian designers don't need to give up all of their creativity/originality at all.

They can just start with the game-plays/settings with which the targeted segments feel at home and turn the table with some twists. For example, loot economy is one of the important factors in scheme established by Blizzard and, probably, it would be unwise not to follow it but, focusing more on story/setting is what Obsidian are good at. Game-plays are more tricky with the common argument between abilities of chars and players and Obsidians past work was mainly focused on the former. The majority don't seem to be happy with Alpha Protocol while they seem to find New Vegas ok. I wouldn't like to see Obsidian repeating the same "mistake" by making something which people find half-baked. Hopefully, they will be able to strike a vein to trick more people into appreciating their dark scheme creativity. After all, quite many people in Obsidian seem to have game-mastering experience so they should know how to enjoy their players without scaring them away with forced "originality"/"creativity." We cannot do game-mastering without players, of course.

Creativity?! Pfft.... If it doesn't play like WoW, or isn't a direct WoW clone or rip off, I'm not having any of it!

I wish that games would bring in more real world medieval weaponry into RPGs though... How cool would it be to have a combination war hammer/gun? =P

Play WoW, then. Well, where should I start?

First of all, I wonder why do you need to find the game-play of this game should be like WoW. Obviously, Obsidian are struggling to make a game which feels native to each input device, ranging from consoles and PC while WoW is only for PC.

As for originality argument, copying other works will eventually drain up the genre, even if it is done very well (and there were numerous unsuccessful Diablo clones, including Lionheart). Seeking for originality may be just risk management of one company called Obsidian but, it also works as one for the industry itself in the long view. In fact, Chris Avellone lamented how few new applicants try to be original, which is probably legitimate but, at the same time, they need to study popular game-plays which most people enjoy to secure a certain amount of the denominator or player population depending on the magnitude of the market. At the end of the day, its just a matter of balance.

If I need to add at all, there are so many "Otherwise, I won't buy" comments in various fora boards but I guess most of designers know how to deal with these comments.