Attacks on Coptic christians in Egypt

Walsingham

That is fantastic. Thank you for posting it, my entire outlook on mankind has brightened ;)

Please tell me you're being sarcastic. Please.

Nope. Now I did say brightened, not radically altered. In fact you are the one who brought up change. My opinion is there is a long way to go. But I am a positive person, and this is a very positive action.

I'm confused what you folks mean by staged? Thousands of Muslims got together to show support for the Coptic Christians. It was clearly an organized event with the media involved. How does that lessen it?

Hold on, Numbers. Stranger things have happened than a staged event provoking real change.
I'll see your "real change" and raise you "the more things change, the more they stay the same". smug.gif

And you and I are sitting around a damp cave smashing rocks together. Progress happens. :sorcerer:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Cynicism?

I'd rather see a gesture like this than nothing at all.

Oh, I don't know. This doesn't directly affect me, but I think I'd be pretty pissed if the same people who actively promote discrimination against the ethnic group I belong to staged a farce like this.

And I'm cynical alright, but it's not cynicism when things aren't exactly looking up.

And you and I are sitting around a damp cave smashing rocks together. Progress happens. o:)
That's not the point, and you know it. Progress tends to kill people, and Islam is one revolution behind the times.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That is fantastic. Thank you for posting it, my entire outlook on mankind has brightened -_-

Please tell me you're being sarcastic. Please.

Nope. Now I did say brightened, not radically altered. In fact you are the one who brought up change. My opinion is there is a long way to go. But I am a positive person, and this is a very positive action.

I'm confused what you folks mean by staged? Thousands of Muslims got together to show support for the Coptic Christians. It was clearly an organized event with the media involved. How does that lessen it?

So don't you believe them

They'll destroy you with their lies

They only see the obvious

They see the sun go down but they don't see it rise

And you and I are sitting around a damp cave smashing rocks together. Progress happens. :grin:
That's not the point, and you know it. Progress tends to kill people, and Islam is one revolution behind the times.

Meaning you think we can't get through our current troubles without going to the barricades? Good thing I'm medically unfit, although I can't say I'm looking forward to my nephews and nieces being slaughtered in the trenches around Athens or what have you.

Krez: Poetry? WTF?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Cynicism?

I'd rather see a gesture like this than nothing at all.

Oh, I don't know. This doesn't directly affect me, but I think I'd be pretty pissed if the same people who actively promote discrimination against the ethnic group I belong to staged a farce like this.

Of course! It's easy to say stuff like this when you're not actually a part of either group! :-

Meaning you think we can't get through our current troubles without going to the barricades? Good thing I'm medically unfit, although I can't say I'm looking forward to my nephews and nieces being slaughtered in the trenches around Athens or what have you.
Yep. And I don't have a medical waiver so I'd rather not be blown to bits in some Maghrebi ****hole either, but my personal preferences don't matter much.

Of course! It's easy to say stuff like this when you're not actually a part of either group! :-
Not as easy as directing your argument at me instead of my points! :sorcerer:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Pm the subject of cultural mesging, I was immensely disturbed to read the following articles today:

3rd of Japanese men no interested in sex

Pashtun paedophilia "celebrated in song and dance"

-Elwood Blues

The offensiveness of saying "women invite rape" doesn't make the core issue of hypersexualisation go away though. It's a pity that comments like that interlink the two to the benefit of nothing.

Population decrease might be good but if it happens in the way its happening now it's going to be a massive, massive headache. Not just social welfare, but we'll have a massive hangover coming down from the centuries-high of population growth, labour growth and consumer growth.

Not as easy as directing your argument at me instead of my points! :p

What argument is going on here?

You believe what you believe, and I believe what I believe. Nothing is going to change that. I think that your argument is laced with cynicism and a sense of just being contrary (i.e. trying to start something), and really all I am saying is "I'd rather something like this happen than not." You can call me naive for mine, but I'll just call you arrogant for yours. Whee.

You want a golf clap for having a contrary opinion to mine?

Edited by Thorton_AP

What argument is going on here?

You believe what you believe, and I believe what I believe. Nothing is going to change that. I think that your argument is laced with cynicism and a sense of just being contrary (i.e. trying to start something), and really all I am saying is "I'd rather something like this happen than not." You can call me naive for mine, but I'll just call you arrogant for yours. Whee.

You want a golf clap for having a contrary opinion to mine?

That's funny, because that's at least twice that you have commented on me instead of what I actually said. Please, point to me where I said or implied that you have no right to an opinion or that you should abandon it and embrace whatever I tell you to?

That's right, you can't - so snarky remarks on how "I'm arrogant" or insinuations that my opinion has no value because I'm not an Egyptian Copt will have to do, right? But you know, what baffled me the most is how quick you are to assume that anyone who expresses an opinion contrary to your own must be doing so out of a desire to "be contrary". Of course! It's the great Thorton_AP's opinion, so if anyone disagrees there must be an ulterior motive for it, so diaphanous and razor-sharp his reasonings and conclusions are!

And they say I'm a narcissist...

Of course! It's easy to say stuff like this when you're not actually a part of either group! :p

I guess none of us should comment on this, period.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sort of related : http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/16/richard...ly-mission.html An interesting article about Richard Holbrooke and US Afghanistan/Pakistan policy

But every leader has his or her own prism, and very often his or her own facts, so debating points may count for very little.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Sort of related : http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/16/richard...ly-mission.html An interesting article about Richard Holbrooke and US Afghanistan/Pakistan policy
But every leader has his or her own prism, and very often his or her own facts, so debating points may count for very little.

Never read anything about him in detail before. Thanks. If anyone here doesn't get how large organisations can be so stupid and cruel they should reflect on the fate of this man who was neither (apparently).

-Elwood Blues