STEAM!

Rosbjerg

So, Arkham Asylum for $7.50 today.

I've heard some praise for its "sneak about and come up with clever ways to surmount obstacles" elements. What's the ratio of that to twitch-based gameplay? Other worthwhile features that bear mentioning? Or should I just buy it already?

It isn't particularly twitchy. Combat is a fairly mellow rhythm based game.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

So, Arkham Asylum for $7.50 today.

I've heard some praise for its "sneak about and come up with clever ways to surmount obstacles" elements. What's the ratio of that to twitch-based gameplay? Other worthwhile features that bear mentioning? Or should I just buy it already?

It isn't particularly twitchy. Combat is a fairly mellow rhythm based game.

I'd say it isn't twitchy at all. OTOH, it's IMO rather boring. Been playing it on and off for the last couple of weeks, not exactly looking forward to getting back to finishing it. :/

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Heh, played some Singularity yesterday. Bought it from Steam when it was on sale... and it's uncut. The german version is cut, so I thought I've bought crap now, but in fact, my version is not cut. Wonder why I sometimes can buy uncensored games via Steam. SiN Episodes was censored, Left4Dead was not, etc. etc.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I stayed away from Gotham because I heard a lot of scuttle that it struggles on Win7. Just saying.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Do you get to truck around in Gotham in your batmobile or is it all just dank corridors in Arkham.

No, it's a small open world within the asylum, includes some outdoor areas.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

OK, I bought it. Thanks for the input. At that price, I'll take the chance that I disagree with Nep. Plus, an IRL friend of mine has recommended it to me in the past. If I hate hit, I'll yell at him and make him buy me a beer or something.

I loved Arkham Asylum myself. The game is kind of a evolution/mixture of a classic side scrolling beat-em-up like Streets of Rage/Final Fight meets the exploration style of Metroid meets Splinter Cell sneaking, and all of those three elements are incredibly well done. The hand-to-hand animation is the best I've seen in any game and its hard not to grin watching Bats perform all these insane counters and take downs. You really feel like a bad-ass taking out the goons, but you still need to be careful of the ones carrying guns. During the stealth stealth sections, its awesome seeing the AI start freaking out as you take their buddies out. The last guy remaining, if you have been doing a stealthy good job, is usually panicked, firing in to dark corners. :p

The point about Arkham Asylum combat is getting a high combo multiplier by varying moves, use batarang, etc. because otherwise it can be indeed very boring, right up to Assassin's Creed levels.

You can win every fight against unarmed mobs by just standing around and countering by pressing a button. Enemies are courteous enough to attack one after the other.

Similarly with stealth, it will become very boring if you rely solely on hiding on a gargoyle. In fact, one of the rarely interesting stealth sections is when the goons finally have the bright idea of putting explosives on the gargoyles near the end of the game.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

A year or two ago I purchased the PC version of GTA IV. Today they had a 'compilation' of GTA IV + Episodes from Liberty City which I also purchased. Does this mean I now have 2 copies of GTA IV? Can I gift one to someone? If so how?

Edit: Looked up the instructions and damn, it didn't count this GTA IV situation as an extra copy of the game. Shame as I would have liked to have gifted a copy.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

A year or two ago I purchased the PC version of GTA IV. Today they had a 'compilation' of GTA IV + Episodes from Liberty City which I also purchased. Does this mean I now have 2 copies of GTA IV? Can I gift one to someone? If so how?

No, you can't gift. Unless it states it specifically in the store. Gifting extras is a rare thing.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Company of Heroes for 7 bucks, C-strike for 5 (who doesn't own C-strike now?) and Rift for 10 bucks.

Oh, and the "impossibly invisible" C&C4 for 4 dollars.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Risen was -66% a few minutes ago. Now it's properly -75%. Sold.

Edit: And back to -66% off on the page. MAKE UP YOUR MIND

75% now on front page. 66% on game page. Whee, it's like price whack-a-mole.

I can just imagine they've got two people in charge of pricing and they can't agree. So they're doing the equivalent of a wikipedia edit war.

Edit: Apparently it's a caching problem. It is correctly 66%.

Risen is one of the best RPGs of the last few years. Get it if you haven't already.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm really tempted to get the Tomb Raider games. They are very good. But I'd be double dipping. Got Legend for PC, borrowed Anniversary from a friend a long time ago, and have Underworld for 360. Maybe if they were in a good pack.

However, I feel comfortable recommending them. If you get 1, get all 3. They form a well connected story arc.

Risen is one of the best RPGs of the last few years. Get it if you haven't already.

I would give it a try except that it's using 3-machine limit Securom DRM in addition to Steam. If I'm already using one DRM system I don't like very much I'd rather not toss another one on top of that.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Risen is an amazing RPG, if you haven't played it, get it.

You should all buy Rift now, and join in on the thread we already have here.

What if I played the demo, hated it and hate the subgenre as a whole?

@DN: Think about it, how is selling your soul to two devils any worse than selling it to one?

Edited by Purkake

Anniversary is worth picking up, Legend & Underworld are painfully mediocre.

Also, Audiosurf is great if you're planning on ruining your keyboard.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.