Do you want Alpha Protocol 2?

Do you want another Alpha Protocol?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. AP2?

• Yes
    • No

I would actually love an Alpha Protocol 2.. if they opened it up a bit. Imagine if you had your own HQ and you were free to choose which countries to go to, which cities to explore and which missions to undertake. Sort of like, build-your-own spy game story.

I mean, you are a super spy.. why are there no side missions where I can abuse all my gadgets and spy powers?! I want to rob banks to finance my next world saving mission :D

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'd love a sequel too.

Reviewers that said the game mechanics ruin the game were a little too extreme. The shooting and stealth take a little getting used to, but once you level up enough, you become a bad-ass and it's really satisfying to be able to mix stealth and gunplay on the fly. And the story... Wow. RPG games that everyone has compared AP to can take some serious lessons in storytelling from this little baby.

Sega have no idea what a big mistake they've made. I really hope Obsidian get the rights back so they can work on a sequel.

In the meantime, I've got a few playthroughs to go before I get bored of this little gem. :wub:

Even though Sega shot it down at the time, when the Obsidian CEO said (recently) that they would still like to make a sequel at some point, it gives us a bit better of a chance. If this game was fixed, it would definitely sell way better, and people are always curious when a sequel comes out for a game that was originally deemed, "alright".

This story is top notch, it must be said.

I would play AP2, no doubt, and I think it deserves a chance. Besides, with Obsidians latest projects finished already...well, I guess we'll see soon enough.

Edited by Riknas

^ Ah good point on Just Cause...I didn't realise the original was (relatively) poorly received critically. How did it fare sales wise?

However for that to work, Alpha Protocol 2 would have to come out several years later so that people who hated it forgot about it and be seen as pretty much a reboot and a complete overhaul. Not that it's a bad thing- if they kept the core writing and depth Choice and Consequences (and Heck) then changing everything else would be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be all for Alpha Protocol 2. I'd just like them to open it up a bit; maybe allow you to roam around the big cities, rather than just spend your downtime at the safe houses.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'd be all for Alpha Protocol 2. I'd just like them to open it up a bit; maybe allow you to roam around the big cities, rather than just spend your downtime at the safe houses.

I don't honestly see that adding anything to the gameplay.

Not saying it's a particularly bad idea, just that not every game has to have an open world. And I don't see a game like Alpha Protocol working properly while doing an open-world setup justice. It would either become a parkour-free version of Assassin's Creed (the original) with an open world that you can barely interact with, or can only interact with in fairly meaningless ways, or it would force the open world to become the focus, and destroy the coherency of the story by doing so.

I don't honestly see that adding anything to the gameplay.

Not saying it's a particularly bad idea, just that not every game has to have an open world. And I don't see a game like Alpha Protocol working properly while doing an open-world setup justice. It would either become a parkour-free version of Assassin's Creed (the original) with an open world that you can barely interact with, or can only interact with in fairly meaningless ways, or it would force the open world to become the focus, and destroy the coherency of the story by doing so.

I should clarify that I'm not talking about an actual open world, or anything of the sort. Rather, just be able to do a bit of "weapon shopping" in actual shops/stalls around a town, rather than everything revolving around the safe house.

You're right, it might compromise a bit of the tightness of the story. But I think a bit of extra freedom so the player doesn't feel as though he's basically shuttling from mission to mission with nowhere interesting to spend their downtime wouldn't hurt. Kind of like the various hubs in basically every game Obsidian (or any RPG developer) always has in its games.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I should clarify that I'm not talking about an actual open world, or anything of the sort. Rather, just be able to do a bit of "weapon shopping" in actual shops/stalls around a town, rather than everything revolving around the safe house.

Deus Ex

That would be great

Edited by Dabu

Sorry for my english, it's not so good.

You're right, it might compromise a bit of the tightness of the story. But I think a bit of extra freedom so the player doesn't feel as though he's basically shuttling from mission to mission with nowhere interesting to spend their downtime wouldn't hurt. Kind of like the various hubs in basically every game Obsidian (or any RPG developer) always has in its games.

So just expanding the "hub" area from being only the safehouses to including a semi-free-roaming area for various shops and things?

Actually, that sounds pretty good - and you could better keep track of who you're buying from (it's a little hard to tell sometimes), which would give more meaning to the various discounts you get. Shop HERE for weapons, but THERE for armour, and ALL THE WAY DOWN THE ROAD for gadgets, because those guys give you the best prices after you (insert action here).

Would technically fit into the "minimal interaction free roaming" possibility more than the "less coherent story" one, but it wouldn't need to be as large an area as I thought you meant, so it would probably work pretty well. And they might even be able to directly link some of the conversation missions into that "hub" area. You know there's a "talk to X" mission, and you happen to see that person while shopping, why not take the opportunity to talk on neutral ground instead of going to their house? We all know how badly that turned out last time.

• 2 weeks later...
I love this game. Ive posted in Sega (about 5mins ago) and now I have joined here to do the same. AP got two average reviews at GS and IGN and yet the people I have talked to on GS dissagree with them. Obsidian/Sega shouldn't listen to to bad reviews when the larger community wants this gem to continue!

I'm guessing they looked more at the sales numbers and less at the reviews...

Then we have to convince more people to buy the game!

• 4 weeks later...

Ive played through the game twice, and I really enjoyed both my playthroughs. I thought it was a great game, and I agree that it needs alot of improvements, and I think Obsidian should really develop a AP2. Im not sure if its going to happen, but I would be really excited if they did it :bat: Come on Obsidian!

Make another one!!!!! Finaly got chance to play it and it just reaffirmed what i always thought about 'pro reviewers', that they suck. Ok game had some bugs, doesn't look as pretty as Crysis or Witcher 2 , but so what. It's excellent arpg, story is interesting as what i expect from Obsidian. Bottom line is make it and this time have somebody decent publish it....

I'll be disappointed if they don't.

I really NEED more AP. It's an outstanding game, I love it. I never have seen an RPG with so many variants in the story caused by the player. Great story (with no good and evil, I loved the many tough decisions that we face up) , memorable characters, really good dialogs with a great dialog system...

So please, Obsidian, make AP2 or... :)

i followed AP1 since the announcement and that was years before the release. i bought it the day it came out and saw no reviews about it. I loved it and there weren't any glitches that I saw. The only real gripes was the, way the missions were laid out, (i liked it but it felt like something was missing (like you should've been able to explore it open world style (kinda like Deus Ex Human Revolution, and certain missions would be in specific locations). more variety in weapons, (m4a1, mp5 ect) cover system (which isn't that bad once you learn the issues), the crouching waddle looks ridiculous, the graphics could've been better esp with unreal (vegas2 was better than AP) and the reticule I hated. Besides that I enjoyed the story, the RPG elements are some of the best. I love the game and im actually playing yet another playthrough right now. I think Obsidian learned their lesson and if they get rid of Sega as a publisher (which was primarily the reason why so much was changed from the original ideas) and worked with lets say Square Enix (like dungeon siege 3) they would put out an amazing product. Even if they just do another spy/agent rpg, with either different classes or maybe different agencies (fbi, cia, special ops) and depending on the agency is how you go about a mission. it would be hub based (but the hub would be like your agencies building, and you could get in a car and leave) and there would be like 3 or 4 cities. I mean if they can make a huge sandbox game like Just Cause 2 they could do something like that. anyway I'd preorder right away

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it's telling that the only game I have all 50 achievements for is AP (just got the last one). I did have my gripes with the game, but that is what sequels are for.

You could tell though that quite a bit of effort was put into specific parts of the game, the writing, the music, most of the VA was excellent, especially characters like Leland. The little effects were what impressed me the most. Like the dramatic "fading to white" screen at the end of an interrogation scene with Thorton (or before one), and the accompanying music. There were points when it actually felt like a movie.

Who owns the IP? Sega? While I expect a sequel to do better if marketing or certain parts of the gameplay were "improved" I simply know that the RPGs that I like to play the most (think Bloodlines) rarely sell spectacularly. Who knows, maybe Obsidian could pull it off.

You know, the thing with AP was, there were parts that were downright amazing, then there were areas that could've used a change befor release. I'll always believe that AP had a hidden brillance, mainly in concept, but some parts of the game were executed refreshingly. It's a shame we most likely won't see a sequel. I'm hoping I'm dead wrong on that.

• 4 weeks later...

Alpha Protocol failed partly due to the game being rushed, so A LOT of bugs didn't get fixed. I managed to be lucky and didn't run into any of the bugs on my system. The story was amazing as it gave you re playability, I've done several play throughs and each one has ended differently. The best part of AP is that it contained a concept no other RPG has seemed to stress, is that in the real world not everything is black and white, there is some grey areas. Instead of the typical good vs. evil there is the decision you make and the consequence you face afterwards.

I believe if they made a sequel it would be extremely successful if they took the time to polish it and make sure it was good on release. Hell Duke Nukem fans waited almost 2 centuries to get their game, we can wait a few to get AP2 in near perfect/bugless condition. Obsidian has had a record of ruining titles on their first run but picking back up after they keep at it (Kotor 2 was good and bad for example).

I remember starting a post in BioWare forums about AP and the majority of BioWare fanatics including some of the moderators on the forums agreed that a sequel would be successful if the game was more polished and worked out. This is coming from a forum of a competitor in the RPG industry. AP has potential and until someone decides to use it's potential properly, it's a gold mine that's just collecting dust.

P.S.: If you can spread this around on as many gaming sites as you can/put it in your sig or do whatever it takes to get the word out. AP 2 Petition

Ya a lot of petitions do nothing but it doesn't hurt to try

Edited by TheWasian

I would love to see a sequel or spiritual successor to AP. (probably prefer a successor).

Different publisher... ideally if it was all in-house, but I realise this may be unfeasible due to money etc...

Perhaps a little bit less action-oriented. By that I mean, more undercover work, manipulation, not always just stealthy or combat.

Anyone remember a game called Spycraft many many years ago? That was a pretty interesting game - it had a mix of analysing evidence, satelite pictures, (not enough action though).

Perhaps an open-ish world would be good like VTMB (sorta), or Daggerfall.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...