Do you want Alpha Protocol 2?

Do you want another Alpha Protocol?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. AP2?

• Yes
    • No

Let's see, Wii Play has sold 27 million units(according to Wikipedia) and has a Metacritic score of 58, Mario Party has sold 7.6 million and has a Metacritic score of 62 and the list goes on.

I'm still here to bring balance to the universe. You're armchair psychoanalysis is entertaining, though.

I think the Wii is an enigma though, given the user base tends to be quite different (as in very casual) compared to the "status quo" of the gaming market.

I'm not asking anything, AP2's argument was about games in general not just Alpha Protocol.

Another question is whether Alpha Protocol's low(ish) scores were actually undeserved. Seeing as all the scores are subjective and presumably aimed at the reviewer's target audience, I don't have a problem with them. Perhaps SEGA should have marketed (and budgeted) the game at a specific segment of the market?

It said action espionage rpg on the cover of the game;You can't really gear a game towards a more specific audience than that. The problem with the reviews was that the reviewers went into the game expecting a shooter rpg, like mass effect 2.

I'm not asking anything, AP2's argument was about games in general not just Alpha Protocol.

Another question is whether Alpha Protocol's low(ish) scores were actually undeserved. Seeing as all the scores are subjective and presumably aimed at the reviewer's target audience, I don't have a problem with them. Perhaps SEGA should have marketed (and budgeted) the game at a specific segment of the market?

It said action espionage rpg on the cover of the game;You can't really gear a game towards a more specific audience than that. The problem with the reviews was that the reviewers went into the game expecting a shooter rpg, like mass effect 2.

Actually, what I had in mind, was more the PC-based European RPG market. Obviously you would also start off with a smaller budget, but that market has shown to be more forgiving in terms of non-polished games and seems to appreciate the style of games more.

Having the reviewers expect something akin to ME2 wasn't exactly unpredictable, they write reviews for their audience that happens to like third person shooters, so why not write the review from that point of view?

• 2 months later...

Hi all! :)

I am italian and i registered here just to say you: please do a sequel to Alpha Protocol....

This game is so amazing, and i just cannot understand why lot of reviews are so bad. This game is so underrated!!

The story is fantastic and, as all of you, I hope Obsidian will do a sequel. One of the best game i have ever played to!!

Good job Obsidian, please do a second game based to this story. :down:

Edited by kloveenerydnic

• 4 weeks later...

I can't honestly say I'm wild about the idea of an Alpha Protocol 2. The story was delivered well, I loved how the cutscenes and conversations were done, but the story itself is not something I need to see continued.

But some kind of successor in the "espionage RPG" vein that follows up on some of the amazing things AP did, whether called Alpha Protocol or not? Yes please.

Edited by Kloreep

The reviews did tend to revolve around the idea that AP was a shooter with some rpg elements.. rather then an rpg game that looked like a shooter.

Sure, it had some of the usual assortment of Obsidian buggyness, but nothing that killed the gameplay.

The mass of bad reviews generated a lot of negative reputation which caused a lot of people to ignore the game.

So poor reviews helped limit the sales, which caused Sega to drop it.

You can't posit bad sales alone, the reviews helped kill it.

And that pretty much sucks, because taken as an rpg style game, it rocked. It had a fun story, interesting pace, and really gave the espionage feel.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The reviews did tend to revolve around the idea that AP was a shooter with some rpg elements.. rather then an rpg game that looked like a shooter.

Sure, it had some of the usual assortment of Obsidian buggyness, but nothing that killed the gameplay.

The mass of bad reviews generated a lot of negative reputation which caused a lot of people to ignore the game.

So poor reviews helped limit the sales, which caused Sega to drop it.

You can't posit bad sales alone, the reviews helped kill it.

And that pretty much sucks, because taken as an rpg style game, it rocked. It had a fun story, interesting pace, and really gave the espionage feel.

Maybe Sega should had bought off the reviewers like everyone else does these days.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I sure as hell do.

Imagine this: no influence counter, instead you have to detect whether an NPC likes or dislikes your responses according to their facial expression. Facial animations a la L.A. Noire. Sis is back, but a little older, Sie is also back, but now she is the AP equivalent of Big Mama. Mike returns as an NPC, as well as Steven Heck. The two of them are now inseperable bros, working freelance. Depending on your choice in AP, Mina or Scarlett could also be with them. Mike can play a massive role, either as mentor or rival to your character, depending on the side you choose. Better animations, especially for stealth (else AP2 be called 'The search for the chiropractor'), longer campaign, same gameplay, no cover mechanics and no regenerating armor, 'tweaked' skills and expanded gadget list.

Feargus need only ask for my bank account number, if this happens.

I sure as hell do.

Imagine this: no influence counter, instead you have to detect whether an NPC likes or dislikes your responses according to their facial expression.

Oof, like in Oblivion?

I think the main thing I liked about the influence system was that the game just adapted to however the conversation went. For me, that added immensely to the replay value.

On the one hand, I can't see an AP2 happening (though I'd love it to be made) given how underwhelming the response was (I compeltely missed the fact that it had been released at all initially). On the other hand, there have been a lot of sequels made after underwhelming starts. Just Cause wasn't exactly amazing. Even Dead Space was relatively under the radar until later on.

I sure as hell do.

Imagine this: no influence counter, instead you have to detect whether an NPC likes or dislikes your responses according to their facial expression.

Oof, like in Oblivion?

I think the main thing I liked about the influence system was that the game just adapted to however the conversation went. For me, that added immensely to the replay value.

On the one hand, I can't see an AP2 happening (though I'd love it to be made) given how underwhelming the response was (I compeltely missed the fact that it had been released at all initially). On the other hand, there have been a lot of sequels made after underwhelming starts. Just Cause wasn't exactly amazing. Even Dead Space was relatively under the radar until later on.

N-no ... not like that. I'll be damned if I got anything out of the expressions in Oblivion. And I don't want to just hover my mouse over an option and see whether someone likes it or not beforehand. The dialogue stance mechanic would remain unchanged. All that would go is the +1 Influence with NPC counter and instead, you would have a better facial animation.

N-no ... not like that. I'll be damned if I got anything out of the expressions in Oblivion. And I don't want to just hover my mouse over an option and see whether someone likes it or not beforehand. The dialogue stance mechanic would remain unchanged. All that would go is the +1 Influence with NPC counter and instead, you would have a better facial animation.

The conversations in Oblivion were just tedious. Nice idea, perhaps too early in the 360's development.

But what you're after is the expression after the choice, rather than before? I like that idea. In fact, when Westridge is first giving you the tutorial, I kind of thought that was what was going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the most underrated games this generation. Hell yes I'd love a sequel. Further the game should have been greenlighted with a sequel right off the bat even if the first didn't meet expectations. With a full sweep of refinement to core gameplay and enhanced familiarity with the game engine the sequel would have been a comeback king.

This one is right up there with Too Human and Phantom Dust in my list of games that gamers just slept on and for some reason just didn't see the same way I did.

hell yeah! AP2 please!

As others have said, this is such an underated game. I love the RPG feel to it all and the choices/consequences of your decisions..

Splinter Cell Conviction had lovely eye candy graphics but not a lot else really. No customising who you are or choices etc. Just preset character and linear story. I actually prefer AP to Splinter Cell.

I think AP is the best in the Espionage genre. Way better than those awful 007 games..

Edited by Jack Bauer

Obviously, Obsidian Entertainment need to do personal franchise, Obsidian has showed what they can do the best Fallout and the best Neverwinter, but they DO the BEST ACTION RPG OF THE GENERATION! Alpha Protocol 2, now.

yes and no

it was a good game but felt very unstable and falling through the game map ever 30+min was not my idea of fun

so before id even consider on buying ap2 i would want to see improvements and stability on game

and make it more hard lol that game was way to easy for me went through most of it with just a pistiol and hand 2 hand

i am courios as to what happen after the escape though so if a #2 was made focus a story in genral around taking over or destorying haltech

even if it is not import save game just give us the ablilty to set game standards as we finshed the frist one

some 1 asking us what happen prior to the escape a little short newb start

I want there to be a 2.... I literally caught myself staying up till 4am because I wanted to complete Saudi...then Tangpai.... then Rome.... THEN Moscow.

Then I was up till 6:30 finishing the last chapter, Burn in hell Leland.

Yes, yes I do.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I think it is funny that Sega doesn't want to make AP 2 because of bad reviews and sales rate. Especially since almost every Sonic game they make has worse reviews and sales rates then Alpha Protocol. Like seriously wth? Rofl.

I mean as it is, every reviewer that does give AP a negative review basically only complain about the game mechanics while praising the story. Game mechanics are easily fixed and should not change your view of making a sequel/prequel.

Alpha Protocol got a generally bad rep amongst mainstream gamers though...making a sequel wouldn't be successful for that reason- they'd be better off making a spiritual successor featuring Steven Heck in a cameo role.

As do sonic games. And yet they are still being churned out.