Why are there haters?

*raises hand*

I've already said it in some topics, but it doesn't hurt to say it again. Alpha Protocol is my game of the year. My second playthrough was the most fun I have had in years. Having zero kills and actually not killing any bosses. There is only one unavoidable kill in the entire game I think(it doesn't register it as a kill) The guy on the bridge in Saudi Arabia.

• 2 weeks later...

*Raises hand*

... Because some people read reviews and base their opinions on that, incapable of playing games for themselves and judging then...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I think the main problem is that the game gives a bad first impression, in that the gameplay doesn't become fun until you get your abilities. I almost gave up in frustration trying to sneak my way through one of the levels in Saudi Arabia (which, as it turned out was the most difficult mission there and a bad choice to begin with), but I persevered and ended up really liking it in the end. It's not perfect (I could have done without all the doors permanently shutting behind you and I didn't like the save system at all) but it certainly deserves a better reputation than it has.

It depends which side you come down on, if you're playing the game as an RPG, it's not that bad, its all tolerable. As an action game its a bloody joke.

And that's really the issue with the game the general second to second experience is awful.

Lots of cheaply produced art too.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

GOTY for me personally , **** all the haters .

I just got done arguing with a guy on use-net and after all that was said and done I can tell he's never played the game.

What a joke this current gen of gaming criticism , if a game with a gun doesn't instantly register a hit like aim-bot black ops it's considered a broken game.

I mean are they losing touch with what defines an "actual RPG" meaning you need to spend points in that skill tree , not simply aim.

Fricken pisses me off , this game has a fantastic foundation and we're likely never to see a sequel.

AP goes right up there on the list of most under appreciated games of all time.

Edited by Assassin47

I totally agree with you assassin47. And it is truly sad where games are going and where the market wants to go with gaming.

They want everyone and their mother playing their games the ones who will try them, buy them, get sick of them, not even get half way through them...stop playing games until the next big advertised title comes out. Its got to be flashy sensational and accessible.

I haven't played a game like alpha protocol in a long time.

It's like many of the old games that no one cared much about

at the time of their release. Those deep games that you could play over and over again,

that people where later trying to make mods of, that later became classics.

Edited by AP2

The think about a game like Alpha protocol is that there is a big enough fan base who like the game enough that they are sure to buy any sequels that may follow as well as encourage friends and new comers to buy and play them.

Edited by AP2

The think about a game like Alpha protocol is that there is a big enough fan base who like the game enough that they are sure to buy any sequels that may follow as well as encourage friends and new comers to buy and play them.

Are you sure about that?

Am I sure? Well read the post here and at other forums and you will see just how many claim they have played it

more than once and it was great for some even one of their favorite games. There are many who speak highly of it. Not to mention the pole already indicates that there are enough people who want a second Alpha protocol and these don't include those who love the game but aren't

registered in the forum.

Question is are you sure? hah Did you finish the game? Do you appreciate it enough?

I just bought this game on the Steam sales and absolutely love it, I don't understand why the game got the reviews that it did. I was really sad to find out that there isn't going to be a sequel. It seems a shame to let such great characters go to waste. I mean the return of Steven Heck would be absolutely awesome, by far the best character in the game imo.

@ lace stalker :

I'm the opposite actually, I loved Heck but I would really prefer for Obsidian to go without him for the sequel, or perhaps only through emails, and then bring him back for an add-on, DLC or sequel :ermm: . I think it's better when an 'ensemble darkhorse' of that magnitude is only used from time to time.

Am I sure? Well read the post here and at other forums and you will see just how many claim they have played it

more than once and it was great for some even one of their favorite games. There are many who speak highly of it. Not to mention the pole already indicates that there are enough people who want a second Alpha protocol and these don't include those who love the game but aren't

registered in the forum.

Question is are you sure? hah Did you finish the game? Do you appreciate it enough?

A poll with 22 entries and a few hundred people across different forums who liked it. Yup, looks like a bestseller in the making.

As for me, I did finish the game and no, I didn't appreciate it enough to want a sequel. Feel free to dig through my post history to see more details, we used to have a few big threads about liking/not liking AP back when it came out.

registered in the forum.

A poll with 22 entries and a few hundred people across different forums who liked it. Yup, looks like a bestseller in the making.

As for me, I did finish the game and no, I didn't appreciate it enough to want a sequel. Feel free to dig through my post history to see more details, we used to have a few big threads about liking/not liking AP back when it came out.

Are you sure you finished it? If you don't like it why are you here? Your avatar looks like a troll. 22 entries and growing kid. A few hundred people is no small sum and that is just what you find on the internet alone. Play it again and see if you can understand what ever one else likes about it.

Maybe you like red dead redemption. I am almost done with it I feel like I need to finish it got Game of the Year in several magazines, by several critics. I personally think its the same boring, stupid, garbage that your average Joe who hardly ever plays video games loves. And I think Rockstar is paying off the critics to overrate there games with high scores.

Edited by AP2

Are you sure you finished it? If you don't like it why are you here? Your avatar looks like a troll. 22 entries and growing kid. A few hundred people is no small sum and that is just what you find on the internet alone. Play it again and see if you can understand what ever one else likes about it.

Maybe you like red dead redemption. I am almost done with it I feel like I need to finish it got Game of the Year in several magazines, by several critics. I personally think its the same boring, stupid, garbage that your average Joe who hardly ever plays video games loves. And I think Rockstar is paying off the critics to overrate there games with high scores.

I'm quite sure, yes. I'm here because of the Computer and Console forum, but for whatever reason the AP forums remain attached to it. My avatar is from Fallout 3, thank you very much. Let me know once you get to the ~100k range, there might be some potential there then. I'm am perfectly aware of the reasons some people like it, I personally disagree with their assessment.(again, if you look a few pages back in the forum, there are monster threads of people discussing their differing viewpoints on the game)

I haven't played RDR, so unfortunately I can't comment on it. You are welcome to your opinion.

You lot sound like alley cats in rut.

AP had its issues, there's no one denying that. I believe the main point of contention is that games with better reviews had worse issues (Mass Effect and its sequel have been mentioned several times, along with Fallout 3). In my own experience Mafia 2 was highly rated by the magazines I read (Game Informer among them), yet it had a number of flaws that almost prevented me from finishing it.

And yet, AP had no such game-breaking bugs in my experience, and I went on to play through it at least four times. Maybe not quite GotY (that has to be StarCraft II in my book), but definitely among the contenders.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems like a lot of people hated on Alpha Protocol without even playing it. This is no doubt due to IGN giving the game a relatively bad review. But who else here actually loved the game?

IGN people seem like a action oriented bunch, they would faculty for da accutriments of a fine tuned RPG.Lets crash a ferarri into theire glass offices and shoot uzis at em as they droole in awe