PS1/PS2 multiplayer/co-op games

Pope

I'm looking for some fun games to play with friends on my old PS2. Since the PS2 has backwards compatibilty, PS1 suggestions are welcome as well.

No typical sports or racing games please. Currently we're mostly playing Worms World Party and Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

Games that allow more than 2 players (such as Worms) are preferred, though probably quite rare. I only have two controllers at my disposal, so these would have to be turn-based.

Edited by Pope

Moved to the proper forum.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

oh, man, I spent countless hours looking for such games, to play with my friend. I avoided fighting games, though, I like Contra-style run'n'gun - my type of thing.

our favorite so far has been a game called The Red Star. It's a Contra-clone, but done very good. it has some RPG aspects, it has a couple of interesting fights. I have to warn you though, it's very difficult. sometimes it seems unfair. it's not a very well designed game, but it's certainly entertaining.

next stop, Champions of Norrath. it supports up to 4 players. and it has an online mode. it's a spin-off in the Everquest universe. think Diablo in 3D, very simple game but enjoyable non the less. there are actually two games in teh series, the other one is called Return to Arms. but they play very much the same. they are very similar to Baldur's gate: Dark Alliance. you might want to check it and it's sequel, Dark Alliance 2.

then there's Hunter: The Reckoning - Wayward. it's somewhat similar to The Red Star, your characters are equipped with both melee and ranged weapons. but personally I didn't like it, it starts off good but gets tedious very fast. and the controls are awful. if you can't rent it, don't bother.

Raging Blades can be fun, a simple anime-style hack'n'slash. it's relatively difficult, so if you're an old-school type of gamer, definitely try it.

Gradius V - a side-scroller set in space, this game is beautiful and kinda hard too. worth checking out, if you enjoy this kind of games.

Gauntlet. there are two games for the PS2 with this title, Seven Sorrows and Dark Legacy. I liked them, reminded me of Golden Age. but I haven't had time to really sit down and play them. the first impression is good, though.

Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King. my friend likes it very much. it's one of the better co-op games for the PS2. very well done, not too difficult, has a couple of game modes. interesting missions too. the only downside: it's based on the movie, with respective actors acting as character models.

a lot of people like Obscure (1 and 2). it's a Silent Hill-type of game with a co-op mode. haven't tried it yet myself, though.

that's it for adventure-style games for PS2. only a few left. Urban Reign could work for you. a fighting game. it supports up to 4 players, which is a plus. tons of modes. basically it's like tekken tag tournament but with a different flavor.

need I say anything about Twisted Metal? Head On is fantastic, Black - not so much.

as for PS1, I only have a couple of games. the Metal Slug compilation is a must-have. Fighting Force 1 and 2, both good games if you like stuff like Streets Of Rage and Double Dragon.

my personal favorites are Rogue Trip (a Twisted Metal clone, made by the original Twisted Metal team, it's fantastic) and Loaded (a very intense and stylish game, the best shoot'em-up on PS1).

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

twisted metal black is, in my opinion, the best game of the series, then rogue trip, then twisted metal 2

baldurs gate dark alliance is a stupidly fun co-op hacknslash, sequel is pretty good too, but the original is a lil better imo

contra: shattered soldier on the ps2 is fun

metal slug anthology

diablo on the ps1 (its rare though, I have a copy but probably wouldnt be willing to sell it)

burnout: takedown on the ps2 is an awesome coop game, even if you hate racing games its fun just for the highspeed crashes, its not as good as say, road rash 2 on the genesis, but its still really fun

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Diablo had co-op? I don't recall that :sorcerer: too bad my copy was stolen from me.

Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition would be the best racing game if it had a good co-op mode. never tried Takedown, though

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

that sucks yours was stolen, the game is worth quite a bit of $$, and yes it had 2 player same screen co-op (which i like even better than splitscreen cause you are forced to work together to move the screen around)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

As long as someone mentioned the BGDA series and the Champions of Norrath series, I should also note the X-men Legends series and Marvel Ultimate Alliance series. Of those Marvel Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends 2 are the best for Co-op and on par with Champions of Norrath!