Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

not really relevant, but I've just finished watching Let's Plays for Oblivion and Shivering Isles and I have to say, while Oblivion is a piece of dog poo, Shivering Isles' story is epic. the character of Sheogorath is epic. I'm quite surprised I liked it so much. but of course the quests and dungeons are awful. it would've made a great action/adventure game, though. Bethesda should just absorb Obsidian, give them TES and FO and stick to making smaller, plainer games, preferably TES spin-offs like Redguard

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

they were randomly generated, I wouldn't expect anything else :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Secondly;

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah, they were standing there in their Daedric armours worth several hundred thousand gold pieces saying, "Give me 100 gold and I will let you live!".

But I'm not worried about that, I think Besthesda had improved a lot in Fallout 3, and I think they will be even better in Skyrim. If not only because they've seen Obsidian's work on Fallout: New Vegas (where I ran into a Deathclaw Alpha at level 3.. I almost cried a Gothic-tear of joy as it tore me to pieces).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I know I sound like a broken record but:

my fingers are triple crossed for obsidian to be able to make a spinoff TES game 2 years after skyrim gets released. New Vegas was 10x better than fallout 3, and I imagine they could do the same for Skyrim.

as for the news about skyrim: I'm glad they are at least trying to solve the terrible level-up system, and world leveling, I have my doubts they will truly fix it all though. dual wielding sounds good.

if you can't run backwards anymore then I hope they triple the damage that bows do, because otherwise it will be impossible to be an archer in the game, every enemy will take one arrow, then have to be hacked apart with a sword for 2 minutes, resulting in three levels of swords for every one in bows. will we see limb damage in skyrim? few things are stupider than seeing a bandit running around with eleven arrows in his legs and his speed unhindered.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

If anyone outside Bethesda should do a TES spin-off, it's Arkane Studios (already happily acquired by Zenimax). Judging from NV, Obsidian doesn't really get open-world games. For all we know, perhaps Arkane already contributed here and there.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Judging from NV, Obsidian doesn't really get open-world games.

wow, talk about different points of view. I think Obsidian get open-world games like no other developer, NV is a prime example o:)

Walsingham said:

If anyone outside Bethesda should do a TES spin-off, it's Arkane Studios

I agree, Arkane rocks.

Judging from NV, Obsidian doesn't really get open-world games.

Don't agree, FO-NV is easily the best open world game I have played.

new vegas is the best modern open world game.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Risen & the Gothics are the best open-world games. Perfect combination of a game world that feels alive, story & freeform exploration without the need for any invisible barriers preventing one from crossing even a mole-hill if it would lead to being distracted from the main story.

Which invisible barrier are you referring to?

I know there are some in NV, but they hardly seem to be the kind that "prevent you from being distracted from the main story"

I tried crossing the mountain ranges between Goodsprings and Nipton many times to reach empty triangles, but couldn't do it due to invisible walls even though it should've been physically possible. It pissed me off and made me feel like I was being nudged towards Nipton.

Which invisible barrier are you referring to?

I know there are some in NV, but they hardly seem to be the kind that "prevent you from being distracted from the main story"

I tried crossing the mountain ranges between Goodsprings and Nipton many times to reach empty triangles, but couldn't do it due to invisible walls even though it should've been physically possible. It pissed me off and made me feel like I was being nudged towards Nipton.

To be fair, routes like Primm Pass let you bypass Nipton altogether. They do push the Nipton path though, I agree.

There were some silly invisible walls in NV that made you hop around like a goat (exacerbated by the retarded gamebryo jumping) but it was really a minor issue. The central mountain ranges were crisscrossed by so many different paths - Primm Pass, Black Mountain, the radscorpion valley, hidden valley route - and other big mountains also had lots of thoroughfares like the area north of Goodsprings.

I preferred Fallout 3's atmosphere, Bethesda know exactly how to make a compelling environment that rewards exploration, as much as I love New Vegas for it's plot and real honest to goodness RPG mechanics I was constantly annoyed upon reaching a distant location, map marker included, and nothing there?...nothing!?

When I heard Skyrim had been announced I decided to try Morrowind for the first time and while I'm pretty much in love with the story and environment it's obvious that it's not really an RPG in the modern sense, at their core I don't think Bethesda make RPG's, their games are more like an evolution of the Dungeon Master style with some RPG elements bolted on.

All I'm asking from Skyrim is good environments, a story that makes good use of the lore and non-retarded gameplay mechanics, I couldn't care less about ten different endings or hundred line conversation trees in an Elder Scrolls game.

...not really an RPG in the modern sense,

Out of curiosity, what does that mean?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I preferred Fallout 3's atmosphere, Bethesda know exactly how to make a compelling environment that rewards exploration

/snip

I'm sorry, but how did Fallout 3 reward exploration more than NV?

By having more generic dungeons?

Or scattering small nonsense locations like girdershade across the map?

As far as I could see the amount of unique items placed at the end of caves was quite similar.