Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

I was hoping for some in-game footage.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It will be Fallout 3 without guns. And I'm not kidding. It will Oblivion with the changes Fallout 3 brought to Oblivion. Except for VATS, I guess.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I loved Morrowind and was bored mindless by Oblivion. Wonder what Skyrim will be.

Pretty much the same here, although love might be strong a word and bored might be too mild a word. Still I'm really curious how this next iteration is going to go. I'm really hoping that we'll see some Fallout 3 gameplay mechanics added into the ES world.

Love to see and end to the learn-by-doing skill system, but probably will never happen.

edit: watched the trailer. "story" looks as insipid as usual, but not Bethie's strength so not a big deal. Don't developers ever get tired of "OMG graat evil has awakened, returned, flown out of my butt! WHo will save us!!!?!?111".

Voice acting was pretty gross. Even in a trailer.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I loved Morrowind and was bored mindless by Oblivion. Wonder what Skyrim will be.

Make that 3.

"OMG graat evil has awakened, returned, flown out of my butt! WHo will save us!!!?!?111".

It'll stop when plots revolving around some sort of prophecy end as well.

Edited by Syraxis

It will be Fallout 3 without guns. And I'm not kidding. It will Oblivion with the changes Fallout 3 brought to Oblivion. Except for VATS, I guess.

Awesome.

Maybe now they will have decent fighting animations.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

TES V: Skyrim? More like TES V: Reign of Fire.

Interesting that the Dragonborn was mentioned. Seems the PC will be a Septim heir (Tiber Septim, aka Talos, is known as Ysmir, Dragon of the North in Skyrim).

Anyway, it's hard to whine about chosen ones and prophecies in a series called Elder Scrolls, which are scrolls containing nothing but prophecies.

There is some interesting lore on Skyrim & Nords, hopefully Bethesda will stick to it this time:

Nords consider themselves to be the children of the sky. They call Skyrim the Throat of the World, because it is where the sky exhaled on the land and formed them. They see themselves as eternal outsiders and invaders, and even when they conquer and rule another people; they feel no kinship with them.

The breath and the voice are the vital essence of a Nord. When they defeat great enemies they take their tongues as trophies. These are woven into ropes and can hold speech like an enchantment. The power of a Nord can be articulated into a shout, like the kiai of an Akaviri swordsman. The strongest of their warriors are called "Tongues." When the Nords attack a city, they take no siege engines or cavalry; the Tongues form in a wedge in front of the gatehouse, and draw in breath. When the leader lets it out in a kiai, the doors are blown in, and the axemen rush into the city. Shouts can be used to sharpen blades or to strike enemies. A common effect is the shout that knocks an enemy back, or the power of command. A strong Nord can instill bravery in men with his battle-cry, or stop a charging warrior with a roar. The greatest of the Nords can call to specific people over hundreds of miles, and can move by casting a shout, appearing where it lands.

The most powerful Nords cannot speak without causing destruction. They must go gagged, and communicate through a sign language and through scribing runes.

The further north you go into Skyrim, the more powerful and elemental the people become, and the less they require dwellings and shelters. Wind is fundamental to Skyrim and the Nords; those that live in the far wastes always carry a wind with them.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I can see it now-- wall blown down, buildings flattened, trees uprooted, all to the chorus a dozen men shouting together with the same exact voice: "I SAW A MUDCRAB THE OTHER DAY..."

Ok that made me chuckle a bit...

Anyway, I think SKyrim is too cold for mudcrabs. Icecrabs, maybe?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

There is some interesting lore on Skyrim & Nords, hopefully Bethesda will stick to it this time

Hopefully they'll try to do something to differentiate the setting.

Oblivion and it's empire were painfully generic.

And it seems that gamebryo is getting reused again.

That engine will likely stay with us for the whole console generation, we might even see Fallout 4 done in it.

At least it means modding tools will be available.

Edited by pmp10

Look forward to learning about this, actually. Morrowind was excellent and while Oblivion/FO3 were meh, inbetween those two I thought Bethesda showed some improvement. If Todd Howard wasn't still at the helm I'd be even more optimistic..

I'm actually giving Oblivion another go. I still am having trouble getting into the main storyline, but I've detoured to the Shivering Isles and it is quite good. Hopefully Skyrim will be more Shivering Isles and less closing Oblivion gates

Was anyone else bored half way through the teaser? Don't want to sound like a ****, but that was possibly the most uninspired teaser I've ever seen.

I am interested in seeing how Beth will improve from Oblivion and Fallout 3 (if at all), though.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Was anyone else bored half way through the teaser? Don't want to sound like a ****, but that was possibly the most uninspired teaser I've ever seen.

I am interested in seeing how Beth will improve from Oblivion and Fallout 3 (if at all), though.

For some reason I got really annoyed at how long it took for the main title to appear.

Dunno why.

... So uh... this uses idTech5, right? They scraped Gamebryo? ... please?

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

CGI teasers are always crap. I liked the dragon ichor bit, but the rest was about as fun as an accounting textbook.

There are hints that it might be Gamebryo again, though they were talking really ambiguously. If it is, I'm pretty torn - I hate how quickly we have to dispose of engines these days, and sticking with it allows them to really polish and perfect features/functions, but..

For some reason I got really annoyed at how long it took for the main title to appear.

Dunno why.

... So uh... this uses idTech5, right? They scraped Gamebryo? ... please?

Same. Also, the narrators voice and what appeared as a hint of overacting while underacting (can't describe it better) along with the generic epicness of the music somehow made me sigh. :p

From here:

Eurogamer: Is it fair to say then that it's based on existing technology?

Todd Howard: The technology is ours and it is inspired by the technology we have. We have a lot of it. But that's our starting point - the Fallout 3 tech. It started with Morrowind, we went to Oblivion, we did a lot between Oblivion and Fallout 3 because now we had final hardware - with Oblivion we had six months on final hardware, so Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that.

I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we're really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game.

So I think it's a safe to bet for Gamebryo, again.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

...I hate how quickly we have to dispose of engines these days, and sticking with it allows them to really polish and perfect features/functions, but..

I don't get it, if anything engines these days last longer because the next generation of consoles is still years away unlike the previous generations which were every 5 or 6 years. Unreal 3, for example, has been used for a pretty long time and I'm sure it'll keep being used until the next console lineup comes out (or whatever's planned after this generation). There's also a lot more middleware used nowadays (I think, I'm not sure), so making a new engine isn't such an excruciating task when you can just add in Havok physics and Scaleform and etc...

But really, Gamebryo is insanely old to the point where the animation quality and physics can even hinder the gameplay (flying Grizzly Bears, oh joy!). I'm also willing to bet idTech5 has much better/easier tools, so switching to another engine shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

EDIT: Saw the previous post. ****.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

But really, Gamebryo is insanely old to the point where the animation quality and physics can even hinder the gameplay (flying Grizzly Bears, oh joy!). I'm also willing to bet idTech5 has much better/easier tools, so switching to another engine shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Id Tech 5 is best suited for action games, not large freeroaming simulators. So it's only logical that Beth uses Gamebryo again, however they certainly modified it so I'm not worried about that aspect. More worried about the quality of writing and quests and stuff.