Why did the Exile return from her Exile?

TSL players know that the Exile (referred to here as "she") was on board the Harbinger at the start of the game, and eventually was rescued by Kreia. I'd like to know why she was on board the Harbinger in the first place. I don't recall any details in the game that explain why she returned from her Exile. Granted, it's been a little bit since I've played it. Was it of her own accord? Did the Republic go and find her? I'd love to hear what you think - and if you can back it up with materials from the game or other sources, so much the better.

Her return was orchestrated by Atris and implemented by the HK-50 droids, as was indirectly seen when the first one said he had been looking for you. As for where exactly she was before, I don't believe that has been established.

Regardless, if you believe the lore Kreia was responsible for everything that happened; she manipulated and misguided all the major characters, from the Exile to T3, into having things happen exactly as they did. That's rather hard to believe though, so it's hard to say exactly what went on behind the scenes.

Good question, I'll give you that.

I think that someone (Atris or Carth) saw that the Exile could help save Telos

There's some logs on the republic cruiser you board before getting to Telos. I think there's some mention of it being retasked to to pick you up but I can't remember the details. I think that's about all the backstory there is apart from your exodus from the Jedi order. It's suggested\implied that the exile's still affected by the war so may've been travelling. Not sure what the time frame involved between Revan taking the fleet into the outer rim, the exile's return, Revan's defeat of Malak and the KotOR II events is though. I'd guess not more than a few years between each but that still means he'd've been travelling for quite a few years.

Her return was orchestrated by Atris and implemented by the HK-50 droids, as was indirectly seen when the first one said he had been looking for you.

I think that someone (Atris or Carth) saw that the Exile could help save Telos

Oh, I'm sure Atris was looking for him too. That was at least implied in her dialogues IIRC. However, I don't think she had the kind of pull to bring the Exile back in a Republic cruiser. That would be due to Admiral Onasi who states ". . . resume course to Telos with the passenger. It is of the highest importance that [he/she reach] Telos." Of course, when you meet him after the Battle of Telos, all he actually asks you if where Revan is.

Think about this - KOTOR2 could be the result of Carth being the galaxy's biggest fan boy.

As for where exactly she was before, I don't believe that has been established.

That might make for an interesting, different question.

Regardless, if you believe the lore Kreia was responsible for everything that happened; she manipulated and misguided all the major characters, from the Exile to T3, into having things happen exactly as they did. That's rather hard to believe though, so it's hard to say exactly what went on behind the scenes.

Kreia was thrown out of the Sith Triumvirate for not killing the Exile. The following line that remains on the game disc but wasn't used in the final version of the Kreia's Fall cutscene. She says "I did not wish to kill you so they cast me down . . . stripped me of my power. . . exiled me." [Filename: 907kreiaend015.wav] Seeing as she was seeking out the Exile, she too could be accused of manipulating events so the Exile but her mainpulations seem to occur only when she drags the Exile on to the Ebon Hawk to escape.

Here's how I see it and if anyone else has a better idea, please share:

a) Carth seeks Revan and is [mis]using his position to find him/her

b) By using his resources, Carth unwittingly lets Kreia (and perhaps Atris) know where the Exile is.

c) G0-T0 also finds out - due to him being a Republic droid. He seeks him for his own purposes however - to save the Republic because he's forced to by his programming. G0-T0 places a bounty on the Exile.

d) The HK-50 was on the Harbinger only because Revan seeded the machines throughout the galaxy. That was likely just coincidence. However, the bounty would have been common knowledge to the HK 50 seeing as the Exile return to coreward systems had already been leaked to galaxy.

e) Leaked by . . . Atris.

Good question, I'll give you that.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, I'm sure Atris was looking for him too. That was at least implied in her dialogues IIRC. However, I don't think she had the kind of pull to bring the Exile back in a Republic cruiser. That would be due to Admiral Onasi who states ". . . resume course to Telos with the passenger. It is of the highest importance that [he/she reach] Telos." Of course, when you meet him after the Battle of Telos, all he actually asks you if where Revan is.

The Republic wanted the Exile and the reason they went to Telos is probably because it was the closest Republic world. Before they can speak to the Exile however, she escapes Citadel Station. The Republic then changes it's mind and lets the Exile wander freely ("[...]the Republic has decided not to detain the Exile, and adopt a wait-and-see approach."). My guess to why they did this is:

They wanted her to find the rest of the Jedi. They knew that without the guidance of the Jedi, they could never defeat the sneaky Sith forces and keep the Republic from collapsing at the same time. What they didn't know was of course the threat Nihilus posed if they were to meet in large numbers again.

On Wookieepedia it says that it was Atris that orchestrated the Exile's return to known space, and the source is the KotOR Campaign Guide. I don't remember any of that being implied in the game, though.

Batman: [intimidate] "Let her go".

Joker: [Failure] "Very poor choice of words."

• 3 weeks later...

Well

If you allow me, I must put some final touches to that thread :

Atris has released informations enabling identifying the Exile. She does not seek the Exile. She throws a bait.

At that moment, everyone seeks the Exile.

The Republic (the Admirals of the Republican army) wants the Jedi Order be rebuilt. They throw spies across the galaxy to find the last known Jedi: the Exile. Mical (the Disciple) is one of those spies.

Darth Traya seeks the Exile. She want to make her a tool against "new Sith."

The Siths will seek the Exile, as her profile has been released.

T3-M4, which has lost Revan in deep space, run the Bastila's petition and return in the Republican space, seeking help. He does not find the companion of his master, Bastila, as she is hidden by Carth Onasi. He finds no Jedi, since the last 5 are hidden in unlikely places. He turns, ultimately, to the master of his master, Darth Traya (aka Arren Kae).

Go-To (GoTo) received Revan order to save the Republic. He agreed that, as the admirals of the Republican army, a Jedi order (Sith preferably) would be an asset to stabilize the Republic so that trade (illegal) take place under good conditions. The HK-50, through all the Galaxy, form a single entity used by GoTo. They have several missions that search for the Jedi and spy all diplomatic conversations.

The Exiled was found by a spy, on the Outer Rim, and Admiral Carth Onasis reroute a second time, the Harbinger, for it to go to Telos. Why? Because that is where Onasis is based and where he lives (and he is one of the most important Admiral of the Republic and he is the best choice for a contact with a Jedi). He was a companion and a friend of Revan, and he continues to obey his orders, more than four years after his departure (and he hides Bastila home).

At the same time, T3-M4, aboard the Ebon Hawk arrives on Malachor just when Darth Traya is the victim of an attempted murder. She fled on board the Ebon Hawk, pursued by Darth Sion, and must then face Sith assassins and then fake her own death (catalepsy or catatonia) to escape Sion.

T3-M4 send a distress call, received by the Harbinger, who takes the Ebon Hawk in charge.

The events of kotor 2 starts 3.5 days before the prologue.

Both birth of Kotor 2 is the supplication of Bastila recorded in T3-M4 four years ago and the betrayal of Atris (we do not know exactly when but it seems to me a few days).

On board the Harbinger, HK-50, 3 days ago, captured the Exile and was waiting to be close of Nar Shaddaa in order to flee, aboard a rescue capsule.

The arrival of the Ebon Hawk and the Sith interferes with his plans and he decides to run away with the Ebon Hawk.

T3-M4 successfully captured HK-50 and direct the Ebon Hawk to Peragus. Darth Traya is still in catalepsy in the Ebon Hawk and has never set foot aboard the Harbinger. She lied to the Exile to attach her through feelings.

HK-50 manages to break free, destroy T3-M4 and he will be the only interlocutors of the Peragus minors.

We know, therefore, minute by minute, what happened since the last 3.5 days.

Full details, with full justifications (in French) on this page:

Recent History : the last week before the begining of Kotor 2

TTLan

Keeper of the Kotor flame

Kotor 2 HandBook and WalkThrough

• 3 weeks later...

The Harbinger was redirected from it's assignment at Onderon, so it must have been important to the Republic to pick up The Exile and bring her to Telos. Might have been for Carth's wish to hear about Revan - but he might have tracked and asked her earlier, she'd been a general in the republic army and it's unlikely they didn't have identifiying information on her. Another possibility is that they picked up the Exile for her own safety, since Atris just released information that could id her and the sith assassins would be after her, soon.

Edited by MalaksBane