Fire QA team who over saw New Vegas

EkuquoL

I remember reading a Magazine about Bethsoft being angry when Obsidian(http://www.obsidianent.com/ ) was coming back into the picture of New Vegas: to perfect the game design... Which the former developer of Fallout, Obsidian, just worked behind the curtains in Fallout3... The problem I have is simple--of like many other users complaining -- Why did Bethsoft's QA team do a crappy job reviewing the New Vegas??

I for one, think it was done on purpose. The magazine article I read, [Gameinformer, IGN, and few other no-name places were whining about Obsidian coming back] talked about how Obsidian should leave the game to Bethsoft... I imagine they were not aware that Obsidian worked mainly on Fallout3's story, and not much of the core components. Then New Vegas is released with a ton of bugs and Obsidian placed some development inside the game.

Previously, Fallout3 had some bugs but not missing peices in the map; there wasn't any floating rocks; consistent lockups of the console; more bugs were removed from all versions(PS3, Xbox, and PC) before release. Then you get New Vegas where it locks up after an hour on EVERY version -- WTF?!?!!

@Bethsoft -- Really...? You pissy about Obsidian coming back, so you going to do piss poor on the new title?

Its really sad, I mean -- Fallout is getting Bethsoft money--why even do such a crap job? Its the QA department to fix and spot bugs... I think Obsidian should punch some of those QA people right in the face. Just walk up **BAP**.

I've been playing Fallout3 some... Just going over the story examining world detail... I haven't found floating rocks or constant lockups... An it just pisses me off... It is hard to imagine that two developers would try to get the other to mess up -- WHEN THEY ARE WORKING ON THE SAME TITLE... But I just can't figure out what, else it would be... I've read reviews about PC versions, I have a PS3 version, and my friend has an Xbox version... Same bugs but it still hasn't tarnished the game at all.

With those numerous of no-name video game websites blogs I've read and the magazine article -- I over looked... I am in the conclusion Bethsoft is booty hurt about Obsidian coming back and thats why the audience has to suffer, because a bunch of whiny Bethsoft devs are angry... And need to be PUNCHED IN THE FACE

Thank you for reading my theory of why New Vegas is riddled with Bugs on all versions!

I've said this before: the more open you make a game engine and world, the more possible combinations of behaviour, storyline, etc you create. It is simply impossible for a commercial body to test drive (QA) all of those combinations before release.

Just my thoughts.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've said this before: the more open you make a game engine and world, the more possible combinations of behaviour, storyline, etc you create. It is simply impossible for a commercial body to test drive (QA) all of those combinations before release.

Just my thoughts.

While generally I agree, FONV is the first video game I've ever had to restart three times due to bugs. And I've played some buggy games. One restart I'll give you, but three seems a tad excessive.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

FO3 was buggy as well, and many of the same bugs were present, just in slightly different ways. Certainly in my case NV's had more buggy quests, but mostly due to the complexity of the quests in question.

I only ended up restarting FO3 due to a bug once (because of that ant hill cave that buggered my save games and only triggering the game ending error a few hours after I went in it).

I had to reload often because of bugs, though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Then everyone would complain that the games were too short and unimaginative.

Guess in someways the game companies are between a rock and a hard place.

You can make a complex/emergent game in a smaller/less open environment.

My point is to make a game based on the available resources, not reach for the stars and then wrap it up half way through because you ran out of time/skill/money.

This is in the field of software development, you realize... :shifty:

My guess is mostly lack of time to QA the game (related to money), but I find QA is something people invariably cheap out on,

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

:sorcerer:>_<

I remember reading a Magazine about Bethsoft being angry when Obsidian(http://www.obsidianent.com/ ) was coming back into the picture of New Vegas: to perfect the game design... Which the former developer of Fallout, Obsidian, just worked behind the curtains in Fallout3... The problem I have is simple--of like many other users complaining -- Why did Bethsoft's QA team do a crappy job reviewing the New Vegas??

I for one, think it was done on purpose. The magazine article I read, [Gameinformer, IGN, and few other no-name places were whining about Obsidian coming back] talked about how Obsidian should leave the game to Bethsoft... I imagine they were not aware that Obsidian worked mainly on Fallout3's story, and not much of the core components. Then New Vegas is released with a ton of bugs and Obsidian placed some development inside the game.

Previously, Fallout3 had some bugs but not missing peices in the map; there wasn't any floating rocks; consistent lockups of the console; more bugs were removed from all versions(PS3, Xbox, and PC) before release. Then you get New Vegas where it locks up after an hour on EVERY version -- WTF?!?!!

@Bethsoft -- Really...? You pissy about Obsidian coming back, so you going to do piss poor on the new title?

Its really sad, I mean -- Fallout is getting Bethsoft money--why even do such a crap job? Its the QA department to fix and spot bugs... I think Obsidian should punch some of those QA people right in the face. Just walk up **BAP**.

I've been playing Fallout3 some... Just going over the story examining world detail... I haven't found floating rocks or constant lockups... An it just pisses me off... It is hard to imagine that two developers would try to get the other to mess up -- WHEN THEY ARE WORKING ON THE SAME TITLE... But I just can't figure out what, else it would be... I've read reviews about PC versions, I have a PS3 version, and my friend has an Xbox version... Same bugs but it still hasn't tarnished the game at all.

With those numerous of no-name video game websites blogs I've read and the magazine article -- I over looked... I am in the conclusion Bethsoft is booty hurt about Obsidian coming back and thats why the audience has to suffer, because a bunch of whiny Bethsoft devs are angry... And need to be PUNCHED IN THE FACE

Thank you for reading my theory of why New Vegas is riddled with Bugs on all versions!

never spent as much time with a game before to care about bugs, game crashing bugs anyway. until fallout. fallout nv seems to have a done a piss poor job in their QC department why? inhouse bickering at the behest of loyal money spending fans? seems childish to me. makes me reconsider why i'm pushing 40 and still spending big bucks and investing time (my justification for buying them) why pay $60+ on a game that your not hardly playing, right? bugs and glitches will always be present in games, i mean machines are only as good as the builders who build them and we're only human. me personally i'm not expecting an absolutely bug free game game, but i am expecting prompt fixes & apologies for for known problems within a game i've spent $60+ for. feel me?

Edited by drg

I do think that the level of complaints surfacing is evidence of poor damage control on those bugs. But that's kind of what I'm arguing in favour of. If you can't stop the bugs, you have to be ready to pounce on problems like a herd of pumas.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what happens when gamers and publishers both have a strong urge of instant satisfaction.

Also, many have probably been fired, considering (IIRC) they're a dime a dozen.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I was reading on the official forums that they have had tremendous trouble getting the bugs to replicate on the machines that they are using. Not sure how that works, but I have overseen at least one dev project where we could get the bugs to occur everywhere except the company making the damn thing. And I saw it with my own eyes.

~

However, as a bit of an aside I think it's terribly weak to have had no response on this topic/forum from Obs. If people are coming here to complain it's just not good enough to point them at another forum. They are blaming Obsidian, and they are doing it here, and they are doing it now.

I mention this because I like the company tremendously, and think it should get on the case.

-Elwood Blues

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to hear from Obsidian or Bethesda, on more fixes period for the game and the G.E.C.K. , but no one seems to want to open up, Beth is infamous for that though. I really am having a stuttering issue with NV but not with FO3, FO3 runs super smooth. My PC is plenty good enough to run NV and I believe all my drivers are up to date so it's not an engine problem.....some have said such. It's very frustrating I LOVE NV as much if not more than FO3, for different reasons, I keep the faith as much as I can but I did pay good money for my C.E. pre-order game an C.E. game guide, I just want the game to run as it should >_<

bigcrazewolf

I would like to hear from Obsidian or Bethesda, on more fixes period for the game and the G.E.C.K. , but no one seems to want to open up, Beth is infamous for that though. I really am having a stuttering issue with NV but not with FO3, FO3 runs super smooth. My PC is plenty good enough to run NV and I believe all my drivers are up to date so it's not an engine problem.....some have said such. It's very frustrating I LOVE NV as much if not more than FO3, for different reasons, I keep the faith as much as I can but I did pay good money for my C.E. pre-order game an C.E. game guide, I just want the game to run as it should ;(

bigcrazewolf

What did you change on your install/did you try so far to improve performance?

As for my install, I'm on PC so I let the program do the work, I like Steam wayyyy more than game for windows live. I have played with settings and use the stutter remover....don't know it didn't seem to work ;( I don't have a ton of mods but even if I disable them all the game still plays the same.

bigcrazewolf

As for my install, I'm on PC so I let the program do the work, I like Steam wayyyy more than game for windows live. I have played with settings and use the stutter remover....don't know it didn't seem to work :thumbsup: I don't have a ton of mods but even if I disable them all the game still plays the same.

bigcrazewolf

So you don't have the special dll installed? Since the new patch it seems to be fixed. And having the dll actually breaks things now. Apart from that try to set Water Multsampling to low.

And you need NVSE for the Stutter Remover to work.

http://nvse.silverlock.org/

Edited by C2B

As for my install, I'm on PC so I let the program do the work, I like Steam wayyyy more than game for windows live. I have played with settings and use the stutter remover....don't know it didn't seem to work :) I don't have a ton of mods but even if I disable them all the game still plays the same.

bigcrazewolf

So you don't have the special dll installed? Since the new patch it seems to be fixed. And having the dll actually breaks things now. Apart from that try to set Water Multsampling to low.

And you need NVSE for the Stutter Remover to work.

http://nvse.silverlock.org/

Thank you :p I will try the water setting, I use NVSE as soon as it was out I grabbed it. and update as needed.

bigcrazewolf

Thank you C2B

I changed the water settings as you suggested, it has helped a little with the choppiness when walking but the Pip-Boy comes up super fast as compared to before. This is a dumb question but....why did the water setting make a difference when their isn't water everywhere?

Thank you C2B

I changed the water settings as you suggested, it has helped a little with the choppiness when walking but the Pip-Boy comes up super fast as compared to before. This is a dumb question but....why did the water setting make a difference when their isn't water everywhere?

I wondered the same thing.

Interestingly, the same change in FO3 stopped it crashing (no exaggerations) every five to ten minutes after my housemate started playing it on my win 7 machine. Nvidia card, if that helps.

-Elwood Blues

Thank you C2B

I wondered the same thing.

Interestingly, the same change in FO3 stopped it crashing (no exaggerations) every five to ten minutes after my housemate started playing it on my win 7 machine. Nvidia card, if that helps.

After doing more poking around in the GECK there are some cells that have water under them :) when they don't need it...so maybe that has a little something to do with it, but I still am having the choppiness though.