Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga

Big Bottom

I haven't bought an RPG in ages and I tell you I am sorely tempted to buy this one because I have heard that it is fun and very humourous. The problem is it isn't available in online shops and it hasn't been reviewed by any of the major sites. It is, however, available on Steam and I'm a very short distance away from clicking that 'Buy' button.

I bought it fairly recently too. I can't be excited by it. Yeah, it has some humor to it, but it's mostly dungeon crawling and a bad guy who takes himself way too seriously.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I found it kind of repetitive, focusing on magic. When I'm not dodging from side to side. Not particularly tactical or anything, just kind of spamming whatever I've got available and dodging. Might be different for meleers.

I haven't bought an RPG in ages and I tell you I am sorely tempted to buy this one because I have heard that it is fun and very humourous. The problem is it isn't available in online shops and it hasn't been reviewed by any of the major sites. It is, however, available on Steam and I'm a very short distance away from clicking that 'Buy' button.

How is Risen.

I'm wanting to play an RPG and I can't find anything good.

There are demos available for both games.

As far as combat goes they show pretty accurate experience.

How is Risen.

I'm wanting to play an RPG and I can't find anything good.

Risen is a very enjoyable game with great exploration and challenging(fun) combat, although the later chapters aren't as good as the rest of the game. And the final boss was a letdown. I personally liked it and I say buy it. There is a demo you could try.

The demo is for the old version of Divinity II, which has been eclipsed by the shiny new version.

In graphics maybe.

The fundamentals are exactly the same.

Not according to people I've seen post on this very forum. They've mentioned rather significant changes that cause a drastic difficulty drop. One thing I heard was that in the old game, particular spells and arrows couldn't be dodged. They can in DKS. Edited by Tale

The demo is for the old version of Divinity II, which has been eclipsed by the shiny new version.

In graphics maybe.

The fundamentals are exactly the same.

Not according to people I've seen post on this very forum. They've mentioned rather significant changes that cause a drastic difficulty drop. One thing I heard was that in the old game, particular spells and arrows couldn't be dodged. They can in DKS.

That actually was trivial in vanilla as well. All you needed was an obstacle and projectiles would rarely reach you. I'd say difficulty change was more a result of toning down skills like charge which no longer kill in 1-2 hits.

Risen wasn't very good. Two Worlds 2 seems to be slightly better, graphics (much better in this regard, actually), story and combat wise. the writing is awful in both games, though.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The Risen demo was pathetic. Just checked it out. You finally get a sword when there's nothing left to fight. You never get to learn even a single magic spell. Thwack a few birds and rats, that's the demo.

Ego Draconis was easy because damage was level-based, meaning if you outleveled enemies eventually they would do 0 damage to you even when you fought naked. This basically broke the game once you knew what you were doing.

DKS removes the level-based damage, but it was possible to get some weapons & armour with overpowered enchantments very early, again making the game very easy for melee characters (it's easy for a mage & archer regardless). This has been patched recently.

DKS also removed some high-leveled mobs and changed the design of certain areas completely. In my experience, the beginning in Broken Valley is (much) easier, but the rest of the game is about the same difficulty overall.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Ego Draconis was easy because damage was level-based, meaning if you outleveled enemies eventually they would do 0 damage to you even when you fought naked. This basically broke the game once you knew what you were doing.

DKS removes the level-based damage, but it was possible to get some weapons & armour with overpowered enchantments very early, again making the game very easy for melee characters (it's easy for a mage & archer regardless). This has been patched recently.

DKS also removed some high-leveled mobs and changed the design of certain areas completely. In my experience, the beginning in Broken Valley is (much) easier, but the rest of the game is about the same difficulty overall.

So how do you rate the current build of the game?

I found Divinity 2 to be far above Two Worlds 2. Not a lot of freedom in quests, it's more a mix between an ARPG and a RPG. There are original puzzles, some fun moments, hidden objects, a somewhat good story and now a balance that allows you to find some challenge all along the first part of the game. The expansion is a bit easier (you may have to increase the difficulty) but its story is a good addition and conclusion of Ego Draconis. What I don't like are the action parts of the game as a dragon destroying flying fortresses. What I like is the lack of quest markers, the way many places may hide a hidden treasure (like dungeons with secret rooms).

Graphics are good, voice acting seems ok (but I'm not a native english spoker), musics are very good.

It's one of the good games of this year.

The writers of the Divinity series can only conceive of one ending. One.

At the end of the expansion, you might be fooled into thinking you've got a different ending than the previous three games. This is because they have a crowd cheering (though not cheering you), triumphant music playing, and a big THE END.

Upon reflection, you'll realize that your PC has failed in their goal but apparently everyone is too dumb to notice.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I found Divinity 2 to be far above Two Worlds 2.

hmmm? I'm intrigued :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Risen was fantastic for my money, easily one of the better RPG's I've played in awhile.

Unfortunately you are such a positive and 'glass half full' kinda guy that you like everything, which is a good thing of course, just not when it comes to game recommendations.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Risen was fantastic for my money, easily one of the better RPG's I've played in awhile.

Unfortunately you are such a positive and 'glass half full' kinda guy that you like everything, which is a good thing of course, just not when it comes to game recommendations.

But he's right, Risen was fun.

But he's right, Risen was fun.

It's not really a unique opinion, there were a lot of folks here who enjoyed it. That's why I picked it up in the first place. I am a pretty positive guy when it comes to games, but I can usually tell you when a game has a lot of flaws. Risen didn't have many. Granted, I played about 30 hours and didn't finish, and quite a few people seemed unhappy about the ending, but the 30 hours I played were top-notch adventure, exploration, and storytelling.