concerns

My main concern about DSIII is that it's coming out for consoles. I really don't want dungeon siege to undergo the process of retardification for the sake of console users. I really don't know why DSIII is coming out with a console version to begin with. Maybe it's because the Dungeon Siege franchise has such a large console backing *cough*. If DSIII feels like a console port with overly simplified gameplay I will puke!

My main concern about DSIII is that it's coming out for consoles. I really don't want dungeon siege to undergo the process of retardification for the sake of console users. I really don't know why DSIII is coming out with a console version to begin with. Maybe it's because the Dungeon Siege franchise has such a large console backing *cough*. If DSIII feels like a console port with overly simplified gameplay I will puke!

What

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

lol thats the thing, DS isn't complex, so I would hate to see what consolization would do to simplify it even more. Then it would be a screen saver. I was hoping for more depth in another DS game but I'm not so sure about that now. I could be wrong of course. After all Dragon Age turned out ok and it was multiplatform.

I saw one dev diary thing on DSIII that said instead of pressing a button to drink a healing potion, monsters will drop them every now and then and all you do is run over them to regenerate health. This is an obvious design decision to make things easier for console users. If collecting and drinking health potions is too difficult on a console I can't imagine what else will be done. This may seem like no big deal but I like to a make a big deal about small things.

GO PC GAMING MASTER RACE!

I saw one dev diary thing on DSIII that said instead of pressing a button to drink a healing potion, monsters will drop them every now and then and all you do is run over them to regenerate health. This is an obvious design decision to make things easier for console users. If collecting and drinking health potions is too difficult on a console I can't imagine what else will be done. This may seem like no big deal but I like to a make a big deal about small things.

Diablo did that and it certainly wasn't designed with console in mind. Honestly, there are many reasons why potions are far from being the best health regeneration mechanic in Action RPGs, and 'consolization' is about the 4th or 5th that comes to mind.

Diablo did that and it certainly wasn't designed with console in mind. Honestly, there are many reasons why potions are far from being the best health regeneration mechanic in Action RPGs, and 'consolization' is about the 4th or 5th that comes to mind.

I gotta agree with that... If anything it has the potential to make combat more interesting, since you couldn't just guzzle potions and wade through countless enemies without having to worry like in the first two games... Then again, it could go either way if the enemies weren't challenging. =P

• 5 weeks later...
UI

This is something Bioware did exceptionally well in Dragon Age.

No it's not. On the pc version, it was much easier to cast spells, now you have to scroll through that rotating thing and millions of submenus in order to find the right spells. On the pc, your action bar contained 8 shortcuts. On the console, you were stuck with the sucky round thing. I hate it.

What
Edited by Draganta

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

• 2 weeks later...

I believe they've addressed both platforms in their development. If anything consoles have suffered anyways from PC-sided development and the forums have suffered from fanboyism in that regard. Gamebanshee.com should have a link to an interview with the dev team and chris taylor discussing controls and menus for both so that neither one is short changed.