Tea party info!

Calax

Ok, so earlier this year we had a thread where somebody asked about the Tea Party itself. I ended up stumbling across a site that seems to be somebody basically collating everything they can on the movement and tossing it into one specific point

http://teapartynationalism.com/index.php

Ended up finding some... interesting ideas on that site. Like the Leader of one of the national groups saying that only property owners should vote again because they "have a vested interest in the community".

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You can save a lot of money on election campaigning if you don't have to bribe the serfs :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, if these groups start going, the two party system as we know it will be dead.

The system will become too complicated for the general public and people will instead vote for their favorite drink/food.

The downfall of the Tea Party.

So... The Mocha and Latte parties are gonna be the most powerful...

Or the beer party

Well, if these groups start going, the two party system as we know it will be dead.

The system will become too complicated for the general public and people will instead vote for their favorite drink/food.

It's funny, in a lot of countries people are able to keep track of multiple parties just fine. Stupid Americans - not just a myth after all? :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It's funny, in a lot of countries people are able to keep track of multiple parties just fine. Stupid Americans - not just a myth after all? :)

But yet things go over their heads.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wow, America bashing on an obsidian thread. How f-----g original. We're all stupid, we're all uneducated, we don't understand how the world works, yadda yadda yadda.

I have a feeling I've read this all before...

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

But yet things go over their heads.

Huh?

He's talking about hats.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Huh?

Like Purkake's post.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Unfortunately not, due to America's electoral mechanics which enforce a stagnant two-party system.

At least on a federal level in America (IIRC some states are more nuanced), third parties pop up, hang around for a few years, never break past a certain level of support, don't win any seats due to lack of preferential or proportional voting, then sputter out and fade into the aether as voters lose faith because the parties cannot gain any seats, even if a significant minority votes for them. Not terribly democratic. There are exceptions (LibDems in the UK?) but these exceptions rely on certain situations which do not seem to exist in America

In a system with, at least, preferential voting, minor parties can sustain themselves with at least a fighting chance of electoral success.

Still, it can bring issues into the mainstream, and force the two main parties to act from time to time on issues they otherwise would ignore.

Edited by Krezack

Wow, America bashing on an obsidian thread. How f-----g original. We're all stupid, we're all uneducated, we don't understand how the world works, yadda yadda yadda.

If that was directed at me, it was (obviously) a joke playing on stereotypes directed at the claim that more than two parties would be... confusing. :p

Maybe it won't be a total removal of the two party system. I was thinking more like there are parties within parties that argue with each other over stuff, but still consider the other major party to be the biggest problem. You're already kinda seeing it with the Tea Party schtick where they consider themselves non-party, but 96% of them are republican.

Maybe it won't be a total removal of the two party system. I was thinking more like there are parties within parties that argue with each other over stuff, but still consider the other major party to be the biggest problem. You're already kinda seeing it with the Tea Party schtick where they consider themselves non-party, but 96% of them are republican.

Those are called 'party factions' here. They're usually a core part of a party's internal democratic mechanics.

If that was directed at me, it was (obviously) a joke playing on stereotypes directed at the claim that more than two parties would be... confusing. :p

My joke was more about loosing track of which food/drink corresponded to which political view...

My joke was more about loosing track of which food/drink corresponded to which political view...

I got the humor. Hence my 'huh?'

I'd vote Beer and Churro party.

I know YOU did. Maybe you are just the exception to the rule? :p

*ducks and prepares himself for explaining this joke later*

If that was directed at me, it was (obviously) a joke playing on stereotypes directed at the claim that more than two parties would be... confusing. :sorcerer:

Sugar and beer? :p

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Was referring to the non-US folk, but oh well. Coffee and Donuts party all the way.